General Punto vs Brava

Currently reading:
General Punto vs Brava

Thought id post this as im bored so wanted to compare the 2 cars. I've got a Brava 1.6 16v (sorn at the mo due to injector fault) and now have a punto mk1 1.6 8v sporting. comparing the 2 the little punto is alot quicker and more responsive, dont know if this is due to the 1.6 engine in a smaller car but the punto is much nicer to drive. The steering is also firmer and feels more connected to the road. I guess at high speeds the brava would be the quicker. I guess it brings up the 8v vs 16v debate.

Last edited:
The Mk1s were nice in their day but a bit plain these days.

I prefer the original 3 door Mk2 of all the models. The 5 door is probably more practical but its also frumpy.

The face-lifted Mk2 looks too much like the VW Polos of the same vintage.

The new Grande Punto is just too blobby & lardy for my liking.

PS mine's an HGT Abarth :D

I don't disagree with the above comments, but unfortunately Fiat never made a Cabrio version of the Mk2, that's why we hung on to our Mk1 Cabrio. 15 years old and still looking good and driving well. We have never found anything to match it, it seats 4 six foot adults with ease. (y)
The newer folding hardtops take so much room with their fancy folding lids that it leaves no room for the people.

mk2's with black unpainted bumpers are just plain ugly, most newer cars in general have no character these days.

The Punto will always be quicker. The engines have fairly similar power outputs, but the smaller car will be commensurately lighter, and as we all know speed is all down to power:weight ratio, not outright power.

Also, smaller, lighter cars tend to handle far better as the damping rates of the suspension can be set up better.

There can be issues with small, light cars with big heavy engines (had a 205 1.8td that ended up in a ditch because the back end let go under heavy braking) but in general a smaller car will handle better.

The smaller car will also have a better top speed, as long as it's geared for that, as you have less rolling resistance (and probably a load less aerodynamic drag) for a similar amount of power.

nice to get back to the reason i started the thread. Was slowly turning into a mk1 v mk2 debate. I love most fiats as i've owned a few. i always wanted a coupe as a kid

I have an HGT Punto - quick and handles but can be so choppy on rough roads.

2 people - fine but anyone in the back will soon be complaining.

Back