Technical Punto MK1 wont start please help!!

Currently reading:
Technical Punto MK1 wont start please help!!

wpisme823

Hi,

Recently my R reg 1.2 punto sx 85 16v developed a misfire while driving, i got it home to find the cat was glowing red. i have replaced the cat and coils and ecu/codebox/ignitionbarrel but now the car will not start at all!!

When turning the engine over it gives a few grumbles as if something is sparking but never quite makes it.

Thanks

Will

thanks for the response!

changed the cat due to it having a hole in it and ecu as i was told this would solve the misfire.

Spark plugs are all sparking fine and i can hear the fuel pump whizzing away when the key is turned. Tried a different battery today and still no luck.

cheers

the keylight comes on for a few seconds then turns off. so i think thats all okay. The inject light pops on for a few seconds too then goes off.
very confused as to what it could be, ive got spark fuel and air but no combustion!!

i see fuel yes. the plugs are also getting soaked. Also confirmed again this evening that all plugs are sparking when cranking.
I tried the old ecu and key etc but with no success.

As far as i know the alternator pulley has not been taken off.

could it be a timing issue possibly?

Also checked the oil today to find it is starting to smell of petrol :confused:
From this i thought maybe the headgasket had blown but there is no signs in the water or in the oil of any leakage. Not having a compression tester isnt helping either!

any other ideas?

thanks again

It could be that the timing has slipped. I asked about the alternator pulley because it's pretty common for folk to take them off and not locate the little tang on the cam belt in the hole in the alternator belt, so that the ignition timing is miles off.

The petrol in oil smell is because it's just pumping fuel in hich is finding its way past the rings and into the oil.

I wonder, plug lead order? From the timing belt end, cylinders are 1,2,3,4. Into the coils, they go in pairs, 2 & 3 into one coil, 1 & 4 into the other. (It's marked on the end of the coil support bracket, but get the pairs right is the main thing).

got the plugs in the correct pairs 1 with 4 and 2 with 3.

If its a timing issue what are the correct settings for 16v?

timing is something i have no experience with!

Thanks

what i would of done is let it cool down over night then went and did some problem solving like checking plugs, ht leads timeing and sensors befor drasticley changing the ecu code box ect as it sounds like you have caused more work for your self (n)

Will have a look at my coil packs and leads for you and report back later with some pictures in witch order they go in since my starts and runs fine :D, also make shure everything that you have changed is pluged in properley and not disturbed some other connections

thanks for the diagram! everything i think is completly correct. all sensors are plugged in and leads coils etc are all fine. could it just be the timing?? is there marks to line cams too?

thanks

Has the backbox collapsed on the inside? That could have been causing the cat to glow because the heat coundn't escape quick enough and now everything's been changed, the backbox won't let any gasses to exit and presurising the rest of the system.

i havnt checked that! could that be bad enough to stop the whole car from starting?

checked exhaust tonight and its all clear. Im a little wary of playing with the timing without the correct tools and knowledge.

any other ideas?

thanks

update!!

put some more brand new plugs in today and it now starts! but its only firing on 3 cylinders. cylinder 1 2 and 3's plugs are black and cylinder 4 is completly clean. have tried 4 different ht leads with no change.

could it be the injector thats causing this?

i keep worrying that its the head gasket but none of the obvious signs are there (still have not compression tested though)

Back