Technical Punto MK1 Ignition Wiring

Currently reading:
Technical Punto MK1 Ignition Wiring

rickydicky

Some bright sparks thought they could nick my Sons, MK1 1998 model Punto.

Wrong !

But they have managed to break a window (not a problem to replace) and
broken the wiring to the ignition switch.

I need to buy a switch from the breakers, but they have stripped the wires from the plastic shrouds that fit into the switch itself, they are in a batches of 3 and 4.

I need to know what wires fit onto which receivers on the switch, does that make sense ?

so on the switch I have two rows of 3 and 1 single at the top.

Wires are Brown, Red and Orange

and

Green/Yellow, Orange/White, Yellow and Blue/Yellow

Grateful for any assistance.

thanks

Some bright sparks thought they could nick my Sons, MK1 1998 model Punto.

Wrong !

But they have managed to break a window (not a problem to replace) and
broken the wiring to the ignition switch.

I need to buy a switch from the breakers, but they have stripped the wires from the plastic shrouds that fit into the switch itself, they are in a batches of 3 and 4.

I need to know what wires fit onto which receivers on the switch, does that make sense ?

so on the switch I have two rows of 3 and 1 single at the top.

Wires are Brown, Red and Orange

and

Green/Yellow, Orange/White, Yellow and Blue/Yellow

Grateful for any assistance.

thanks

Hi!

They must have been used to nicking stuff with no immobilisers...

Anyways, sorry to hear thats happened, I hope this guide and this post helps :)

Thanks for that, all very interesting.

I reckon I could make out where the 3 wires, go just a bit concerned that I couldn't quite identify the 4 wire sequence.

When I ask the breakers to send one, I'll ask them to cut the wires off so I can identify what goes where.

regards

OK , the parts from the breakers arrived yesterday and the ignition module is still attached to an adjustable steering column (ours is non adjustable). The cowling they sent was also for an adjustable column.

The column has 4 bolts and has a splined bolt and nut on the bottom end.

Is it easy enough to replace the whole unit and thus converting it to an adjustable setup ?

If it's too difficult I'll just take off the ignition module and just replace that.

thanks

Just had a look and I reckon if I can get access to the upper column bolt after removing the 4 upper column bracket bolts, it should just slide out.

The only thing then to check is that the upper column shaft length is the same for the adjustable and non-adjustable type.

There are universal Joints at the top of the original lower steering column section, some I'm hoping the new upper column with just slot into the existing UJ's.

The adjustable steering addition went in like a dream, easy. All wired up and it fired up beautifully.

Next problem is replacing the front passenger window they broke.

Read some threads about a clip on the door handle , but not sure what I'm looking at. All I can see is a 2mm piece of metal around the door handle between the trim and winding shaft itself. Is that it ?

thanks

OK, panic over.

I used the rag method to remove the clip, I didn't realise the clip was behind the handle itself , I was looking behind the panel :bang:

Back