Technical Punto mk1 60s timing

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk1 60s timing

Snojoke

Hi

I have just changed the cylider head gasket on my son's Punto (after getting recon cylinder head) and have put everything back together. In process I seem to have srewed up the timing. I have reset it according to Haynes but on turning the key although engine turns over on starter all I get is a series of pops and bangs out of the air filter and it refuses to start.

Any suggestions as to confirming location of timing marks gratefully received.
The car is a 1999 Punto 60S and was running well at 69,000 miles until the head gasket cracked.

Regards

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)
The advantage of these old FIRE engines is that they're non interference, so you don't have to worry about bent valves if the timing is out. The disadvantage is that it's very easy to get it out by 180 so that the wrong cylinders are firing. I can't remember off the top of my head whether it's the cam or crank which needs a full rotation to get it back in line! A bit brain fried at work, lol, sorry

Hi Thanks for welcome and reply. When setting up the timing I used the old thumb over No 1 spark club hole trickto feel compression as piston was coming up to top dead centre. I also checked (carefully) for Top dead centre with a thin wooden pencil on top of No 1 piston. This obviously did not work hence my query. All spark plugs are firing when removed and then leads connected and placed on top of engine while ignition key turned on to turn the engine over. . Also all plugs are wet with petrol when removed so fuel seems ok and sparks seem ok. This is why I think that the timing is out despite setting it up as per Haynes manual.

a more accurate method of getting TDC in cylinder one would be the timing mark on the flywheel that you can see through a hole in the gearbox bell housing (at least that's how I could on my 1.2 8v 75)

Also if the car is on jack stands and the wheel and plastic arch liner is removed on the right side wheel (timing belt side), you should also be able to see some notches on the auxillary belt pulley that indicate TDC cylinder 1.

that's all from memory but hope it helps, there should be a couple of threads about timing marks around the forum somewhere

Hi

Quick update. Solution to problem found after trawling through other posts. The timing was actually set up correctly but I had stupidly not located the Crankshaft pulley over its locating pin when refitting it. Easy fix in the end but frustrating at the time. Engine now appears to be running ok and will hopefully keep the old girl jogging along for a few more miles.

Regards

Back