Technical Punto GT? or Punto SPORTING?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto GT? or Punto SPORTING?

hey guys! so ive been driving around in my punto 1.2 8v 60s for around a year now, and ive decided i would like to increase the power... but because of the money ive put into the body of my current punto i would hate to just get rid and buy a separate punto, so ive decided to just change the engine, however, im stuck between the 1.4ltr 16v sporting engine... and the Punto 1.4ltr 16v Turbo GT engine.
What are any of your views and which do you think would be the best one to fit?
and if there are any other engines to fit in it... then please let me know.
many thanks :)

Standard disclaimer: You are better off buying a Punto Sporting or GT (P.S. the GT is an 8v)

Right, now that's out of the way, let's get down to details. It basically boils down to cost. The GT is going to be more expensive to convert, more expensive to run, more expensive to insure and less reliable. For GT power levels and engine weight, you pretty much have to do a full GT conversion, steering, brakes and suspension too. Consider that GT engines are now getting old, and a lot will have been abused. Unless you can get mates' rates to have the head checked over, and reconditioned if necessary (GT heads suffer many hairline fractures), you should factor regular head-gasket failures into your budget too. As well as a possibly worn turbo and fuel costs, there is also insurance costs.

Your engine choice from the Sporting seems like an odd choice. I assume you have a mk1 of course (otherwise completely rule out the GT conversion). The reason I say that it is odd is that the mk1 didn't have a 1.4 16v engine fitted to any models. The Sportings were powered by either the 1.6 8v MPi unit or later models were powered by the lighter 1.2 16v MPi. Due to differences that may exist between the mk2 1.4 16v and the engine mountings of your car, some custom fabrication may be necessary. If this is the case, it is likely to be expensive. Perhaps you did mean the 1.2 16v unit. If so, it is still recommended to uprate the suspension and front brakes. In fact, since it is almost as expensive to do a Sporting front brake conversion as it is to do a front GT conversion, you may as well have vented GT brakes at the front. The current 240mm x 11mm solid discs just will not cut the mustard with the extra power.

thats great. thanks for the advice.
so im moving away from the idea of a GT engine then and more towards the 1.2ltr 16v or the 1.6 8v mpi. im not sure which engine would be better, but the 1.2 is capable of 88bhp standard. i cant find out what the 1.6 is if any one can help.

which engine do you reckon would be best?
i want a nice quick reliable engine you see.

The 1.6 8v was 90 BHP stock. The extra 5 BHP over the 85 BHP 1.2 16v is not worth the extra weight at the front in my opinion, so stick with the 1.2.

Alternatively, you could turbocharge your current engine. shakey_hand_man has presented a 1.2 8v Turbo on a mk2. Wouldn't take too much imagination to do the same on a mk1.

would the 1.6 have larger acceleration and higher top speed?

Higher top speed, yes (but beyond 70 MPH, no good anywhere but a track, and both will crack 100 MPH), and maybe a smidge more acceleration. But under braking for the corners, the 1.2 16v will dominate, since it can carry more speed. Will also stop quicker too, particularly if you have GT brakes up front.

yes, ive spoken to a company down south who say (and this was for the GT engine) full engine running engine, looms, ecu, recon. turbo, radiators.. everything from the engine bay pretty much, and conversion kit and free tech. advice when comes to fitting for £650 which i saw to be a good price.

yes, ive spoken to a company down south who say (and this was for the GT engine) full engine running engine, looms, ecu, recon. turbo, radiators.. everything from the engine bay pretty much, and conversion kit and free tech. advice when comes to fitting for £650 which i saw to be a good price.

thats the engine
what about brakes
suspension
insurance?

brakes and suspensions going to be no problem, ive had an insurance quote of around £1400 so far, however, im hoping to get the engine this year, recondition it, fit new pistons etc and going to fit it next year, so that should bring the insurance down with it being next year

brakes and suspensions going to be no problem, ive had an insurance quote of around £1400 so far, however, im hoping to get the engine this year, recondition it, fit new pistons etc and going to fit it next year, so that should bring the insurance down with it being next year

is that a quote for the car modified or for a GT?

Last edited:
i already have uprated suspension on mine that will fit on with the sporting engine. Labour costs nothing to worry about because i am in training mechanics and my friend is trained with mercedes experience and also have a garage. if costs get too much, ill nip to scrapyard and grab some brakes of a sporting there that are in good nik until i can get some uprated ones

the quote at the moment is just for the sporting, for the GT i was getting rather high quotes

You can bet those "rather high quotes" will be the thin end of what they want to insure the modified car. :yuck:

Why not cut your losses on the current car...
If its as good as you say, it will fetch a good price. Then you can get yourself a Mk2 Sporting and only need 1/2 a mortgage for the insurance. They also crash better than the Mk1. :devil:

im finding it hard to part with it to be honest, ive spent alot of cash on it aswell. but as i say, id be getting the new engine and reconditioning it and hopefully fitting it next year, and the quotes ive had were for 30 days time so next year im hoping that the quotes would be reasonably lower

Just do a sensible upgrade keep it sane and you wont have to go mad with brakes and suspension. The insurance however really dont like modded cars.

Correction they do, but we wont like the prices.

Back