Technical Punto Evo 2010

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Evo 2010

Just bought a Punto Evo 2010. Bought a full size spare and now I need a jack. I look on E Bay and the ones for Punto's seem slightly different from a 'normal' scissor jack, at the end that you would place under the jacking point. On the advertised ones, there is the central slot and then one side is wider than the other. Is this so it fixes into a specific notch at the jacking point.

Just bought a Punto Evo 2010. Bought a full size spare and now I need a jack. I look on E Bay and the ones for Punto's seem slightly different from a 'normal' scissor jack, at the end that you would place under the jacking point. On the advertised ones, there is the central slot and then one side is wider than the other. Is this so it fixes into a specific notch at the jacking point.

That sounds pretty normal 🙂

I bought an Alloy for mine.. But never bought a jack

Most times I will be on a motorway..
The flashing light van will have a better jack than that! 😉,
I keep a Bottle jack in the car though..

Jack wise.. All of the 199 body.. So 2006/16 will be the same jack

They looked stupidly expensive the few times I have looked £50/£60 seems normal

@Pugglt Auld Jock will have pics of some of these options..

Local free add are likely to find the £15 ones..

@Pugglt Auld Jock will have pics of some of these options..

Local free add are likely to find the £15 ones..
Our Punto is my boy's car and is at his house on the other side of the city at this minute - or maybe in his work car park as he does shifts - and I can't remember what the Punto jack looks like. However the Panda one looks like this:

P1110453.JPG

It's the black scissors one top left. The head/saddle/whatever you want to call it, is this shape:

P1110454.JPG

and it straddles the sill seam, some call it the "pinch" seam, like this:

P1110457.JPG

With the broader part towards the inside. In fact I very seldom jack any of the cars up using their own jacks - If I'm at home it'll be one of my big trolley jacks and if I'm helping a family member out away from my workshop then I sling one of my wee trolleys in the boot. So addressing this question (broader side in or out?) caused me to scratch my head a bit. I reasoned that as the car rises on the jack it's going to take most of the weight on the inner side of the sill seam because the car will tilt away from the side being jacked up so probably the bigger side of the jack head will face inwards? Then I had a brainwave, If in doubt take a look at the manual - Revolutionary or what? - and it shows the jack being used in this orientation It's very important to realize it's the floor section which is reinforced and designed to take the weight and not the sill seam so when buying an aftermarket jack you need to get one which allows this.

You may notice the red jack in the first picture? That was an aftermarket jobbie supplied as part of a kit for my daughter in law's Mazda - jack, wheel brace and spacesaver - from an online seller of used spare wheel kits. It's a generic item which actually isn't suitable as it's not deep enough to clear the sill seam - don't like the look of the inward facing "teeth" either which look as though they have been specially designed to damage paintwork. Luckily I already had a suitable jack from another car so this one has joined my stock of "may be useful one day" bits and pieces.

Many years ago I made my own jacking blocks from substantial pieces of wood covered in bits of old commercial vehicle inner tube. Here you can see a couple of them:

P1110475.JPG

The rubber faced blocks straddle the sill seam and, because they are relatively long the weight is spread out so you're much less likely to have a partially corroded sill fail.

So be very careful buying generic items - some are pretty poorly made too - but more than anything look carefully at the head and be sure it's going to clear the sill seam. Personally I'd be trying breakers for a genuine Fiat one from a scrapped car.

I got mine from eBay its a genuine fiat one with all the tools a towing eye and decent wedge in a case for about £30. It was a near as makes no difference new. The slot depth must be at least 3cm. I have a rubber puck with the deep slot for use with the trolley jack and if it goes in for tyres I insist they use it. Like most of these things you have to watch eBay for a few weeks and pounce when a decent value one comes along.

Our Punto is my boy's car and is at his house on the other side of the city at this minute - or maybe in his work car park as he does shifts - and I can't remember what the Punto jack looks like. However the Panda one looks like this:

View attachment 431039

It's the black scissors one top left. The head/saddle/whatever you want to call it, is this shape:

View attachment 431040

View attachment 431041
This sparked something in my memory, I did a video ages ago on my old grande which had a Jack, this is essentially the same car as the Evo and the Jack in the video is much the same as the black scissor Jack in your picture but the notch is more central.

My Evo didn’t have a Jack it was one of those compressors with a bottle of tire seal you screw in.

Your illustration of the offset notch version is something that a lot of people need to know

View attachment 431039

View attachment 431040

View attachment 431041

With the broader part towards the inside. In fact I very seldom jack any of the cars up using their own jacks - If I'm at home it'll be one of my big trolley jacks and if I'm helping a family member out away from my workshop then I sling one of my wee trolleys in the boot. So addressing this question (broader side in or out?) caused me to scratch my head a bit. I reasoned that as the car rises on the jack it's going to take most of the weight on the inner side of the sill seam because the car will tilt away from the side being jacked up so probably the bigger side of the jack head will face inwards? Then I had a brainwave, If in doubt take a look at the manual - Revolutionary or what? - and it shows the jack being used in this orientation It's very important to realize it's the floor section which is reinforced and designed to take the weight and not the sill seam so when buying an aftermarket jack you need to get one which allows this.

You may notice the red jack in the first picture? That was an aftermarket jobbie supplied as part of a kit for my daughter in law's Mazda - jack, wheel brace and spacesaver - from an online seller of used spare wheel kits. It's a generic item which actually isn't suitable as it's not deep enough to clear the sill seam - don't like the look of the inward facing "teeth" either which look as though they have been specially designed to damage paintwork. Luckily I already had a suitable jack from another car so this one has joined my stock of "may be useful one day" bits and pieces.

Many years ago I made my own jacking blocks from substantial pieces of wood covered in bits of old commercial vehicle inner tube. Here you can see a couple of them:

View attachment 431042

The rubber faced blocks straddle the sill seam and, because they are relatively long the weight is spread out so you're much less likely to have a partially corroded sill fail.

So be very careful buying generic items - some are pretty poorly made too - but more than anything look carefully at the head and be sure it's going to clear the sill seam. Personally I'd be trying breakers for a genuine Fiat one from a scrapped car.
Thanks for the photos. Jack ordered on e bay

Back