Technical Punto 2b fuel gauge issue

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 2b fuel gauge issue

Hi

I went to fill up my Punto as empty fuel light was on.

I noticed that I only managed to put £33 petrol in the tank before the tank became full (i.e was spitting back out of the tank) at the petrol station.

Yet when I turned engine on to drive off, it only went to three-quarters full on the fuel gauge.

It makes sense therefore to suggest that when it was flashing empty it was infact a quarter full, as normally a full tank costs about £45 - £50.

What is this under-estimating of fuel due to? (i.e Fuel gauge underestimating how much fuel is in the tank)

Hi

I noticed that I only managed to put £33 petrol in the tank before the tank became full (i.e was spitting back out of the tank) at the petrol station.

Yet when I turned engine on to drive off, it only went to three-quarters full on the fuel gauge.

It makes sense therefore to suggest that when it was flashing empty it was infact a quarter full, as normally a full tank costs about £45 - £50.

What is this under-estimating of fuel due to? (i.e Fuel gauge underestimating how much fuel is in the tank)
Probably just a faulty level sensor. Which if memory serves me is mounted on the fuel pump under the passenger seats

Hi

If you drive on a slope does it move at all?

It must be I suppose. Many thanks.
It doesn't move up and down hills either.
I reckon there is one-quarter of a tank more petrol than the gauge shows.

Back