Technical Punto 1.2 engine & mk2 Sporting gearbox in a Seicento?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.2 engine & mk2 Sporting gearbox in a Seicento?

StoneNewt

Scandinavian Passion....
I have a '02 Seicento Sporting I originally was going to try and shoehorn a 1.3 multijet diesel into it, however I've been told that the engine is to large to do that (correct me if this is miss-information), so it's plan two, the stock 1242cc conversion. This is where things get interesting, the stock boxes are just to damn short so what I plan on doing if getting a mk2 sporting box, bolting it onto the engine and using the final drive from the engines 'box. Has anyone tried this? & am I going completely nuts?

mk2 6 speeds have longer ratio gears (mk1 6spd has same final drive as 5 speed box) but... the mk2 linkages need meddling with iirc, and also you'll fould the inside of the wheel on lock and possibly for a bit before lock, as its bigger than the mk1 6spd and than the 5 speed box :(

This is the gearbox output ratio table I get with the gear ratios I've found on-line & in my Punto handbook:
Code:
      Sp6    60    Sp6/75fd  Sp6/60fd
1st  14.4   13.9     13.2      12.6
2nd   8.8    7.7      8.1       7.7
3rd   6.0    5.3      5.5       5.3
4th   4.6    4.0      4.2       4.0
5th   3.7    3.2      3.4       3.3
6th   3.1    N/A      2.9       2.7
note - Sp6 = Mk2 Sporting 6 speed

now the fouling could be a problem :(

I can't see why the 1.3 wouldn't fit.

The Seicento Suite and the model 2001 non Sporting gearboxes have got a longer ratio. The Punto has got bigger wheels, which means that some gearboxes are actually shorter geared.

Oldschool said:
I can't see why the 1.3 wouldn't fit.

Two people have said that the Multijets are to tall to fit under the Sei' bonnet, though the 147lbft/90bhp 16v in a Sei' would be fun :D

StoneNewt said:
Two people have said that the Multijets are to tall to fit under the Sei' bonnet, though the 147lbft/90bhp 16v in a Sei' would be fun :D

They said it about other engines too that I fitted into small Fiats.

I was thinking of doing it, but didn't come across an engine that I can afford. As soon as I can find one I will do it.

I was thinking about getting a rear-ended Grande as I've seen a 1.4 Dynamic go for a shade over 1k. I thought about it for my Punto but decided not to (probably cheaper to upgrade to a mk2b sporting).

rallycinq said:
If anybody is thinking of doing anything with Multijets, watch the fuel system. The fuel is pressurised to something around 2000 bar, and thats not a misprint.

Cheers

D

2000 bar?!?!? :eek:

I was thinking about suggesting this (Putting a 1.3 MJTD in a Sei/Cinq) but thought that if people had trouble fitting a 1.2 16v Petrol engine under the bonnet, how would you fit a 1.3 diesel? :eek:
Don't forget about getting it remapped aswell StoneNewt :D That's when the fun REALLY begins ;) 120bhp plus the torque increases? Sounds like an absolute monster! :D But can't imagine steering the thing will be much fun lol

rallycinq said:
If anybody is thinking of doing anything with Multijets, watch the fuel system. The fuel is pressurised to something around 2000 bar, and thats not a misprint.

Cheers

D

Doesn't shock me, my stepdad has been working with a company who need solenoids developing for diesel fuel injection systems and he said they were at around 2000 bar. Would rip through you no problems.

H2DaE said:
I was thinking about suggesting this (Putting a 1.3 MJTD in a Sei/Cinq) but thought that if people had trouble fitting a 1.2 16v Petrol engine under the bonnet, how would you fit a 1.3 diesel? :eek:
Don't forget about getting it remapped aswell StoneNewt :D That's when the fun REALLY begins ;) 120bhp plus the torque increases? Sounds like an absolute monster! :D But can't imagine steering the thing will be much fun lol

Don't know where the problem is supposed to be in fitting a 16v FIRE to a Cinquecento. I have one, which I have done several years ago without cutting anything out and without modifying the engine mounts.

Thanks for the encourgement people, i've been doing a fair amount of thinkin' and while the multijet mod is great on paper the more I find out about it the more I realise this isn't a good first engine transplant project, maybe the second. So I'm sticking with the stock 1242cc mod, on this note is it better to get the engine with or without ECU?

Oldschool said:
Don't know where the problem is supposed to be in fitting a 16v FIRE to a Cinquecento. I have one, which I have done several years ago without cutting anything out and without modifying the engine mounts.

Fair enough, I just thought there were loads of problems with fitting a 1.2 16v as nobody seems to have them :confused:

And StoneNewt, I would say a 1.2 engine transplant would probably be best for a first timer as it seems like a reletively easy as far as they go (y)

how about using a bravo 1.2 gearbox? the mk2 punts have diff mounts etc, whereas i think the cinq, mk 1 punt and brav's share (well 1.2 brav) and the ratios will be plenty long enough, without being too long. plenty of poke, lil car...

this is what im planning on doing in a few months time, 1242 16v cinq, with a brav box and a bit of engine work

H2DaE said:
Fair enough, I just thought there were loads of problems with fitting a 1.2 16v as nobody seems to have them :confused:

And StoneNewt, I would say a 1.2 engine transplant would probably be best for a first timer as it seems like a reletively easy as far as they go (y)
i think its more the case the 8v is such an easy swap

Sorry to bump, but the 16V model comes in 1248cc, in all mk2 and mk3 punto's , is that correct? What about the punto 85? Is that the same again.

I'm looking at persuading the parents to let me stick and engine down the side of the house to do a swap, and have seen all guides and read loads.

As mine is currently mpi, the punto 75 is the most documented, and supposedly the easiest swap, but if i can get a 16V in there so much the better (y)

Basically which Puntos have 16V MPI setups in them?

Cheers,

Kristian

Back