Technical Productive day

Currently reading:
Technical Productive day

Fivehundred

Fehler in alle Teilen
I had a productive day today, the black cinq has been sitting around for ages with a load of work completed, but the rear suspension and brakes were untouched.

I did a bit of searching on here and the on-dit on here is that Goodridge rear hoses are a swine to fit because the tank needs to come off. So I declared today polybush and Goodridge hose day.

I started by removing the rear suspension arm, easy enough with the car up on axle stands. I simply placed the trolley jack under the suspension arm to stop the road spring from making a bid for freedom. Decide if you want to save the brake hose and the handbrake cable. I didn't and just cut them in half. Otherwise undo them now (brake hose on top of the arm). If you dangle a suspension arm from the brake hose you'll ruin it.

Then remove the nuts from the bolts through the two suspension bushes. Leave the bolts in place for the moment.

Then remove the lower shock absorber bolt. REMEMBER, ITS THE SHOCK KEEPING THE SPRING COMPRESSED! if you remove it without a trolley jack under the arm you will end up with a spring in your face and it'll sting almost as much as shaving rash!

The nuts for the shock absorber bolts are welded to the brackets, so you can just unbolt them. Then stand well back and lower the jack, this will de-compress the spring.

Pull the two bolts out and you are left holding the arm. I used a piece of threaded rod to pull the rubber centre out of the suspension bush. No heat, no messing. You need a piece of tubing with a big enough diameter to take the centre, put a piece of threaded rod through and lock two nuts together on one side. Then wind the other nut and it'll force the rubber out of the bush and into the tube. Then put a slit in the sleeve in the arm with a hacksaw, be gentle, cuts in the arm are stress raisers and weaken it.

Once its cut it'll tap out, I used a socket as a drift.

The Powerflex bush is easy to fit, it needs little more than hand pressure.

I then turned my attention to the goodridge hoses. I don't know why people remove the tank, it isn't necessary. Cut the old hose so ony the metal pice remains on the bracket in the body. You need a deep 17mm socket and an 11mm flare nut spanner. Use Something like a bent screwdriver the remove the C clip holding the brake hose to the bracket on the bodywork. You'll see it has a tag bent at 90 degrees, lever between that and the union and it will slide out. It mag be easier with the spanner already on the union. Then pull the brake line down slightly, the 17mm end will now turn, there are raised parts on the bracket stopping it from turning with the C clip in place. Use a deep a socket with a short extension and turn the remainder of the hose. KEEP THE UNION STILL WITH THE SPANNER. If you twist the metal brake pipe its scrap.

Now install the new hose, again tighten up the union, you'll now need a 17mm spanner. The only slightly tricky bit is getting the flats in the right place so you can put he C clip back.

Now put back the Arm, and install the other end of the hose on the arm, this is easily accesible so all you do is hold the hose with the spanner and tighten the union. Fuel tank completely undisturbed.

DSCF00301.JPG

DSCF0035.JPG

DSCF00331.JPG

Last edited:
Liam said:
Nice work, like the tea on the bench!

Is your bumper brackets solid enough?

Liam

It looks pretty horrible but is actually perfectly solid. I wanted to change it, but the captives in the bumper are seized solid, and the bumper is otherwise fine. I didn't want to have to source a new bumper. The front bumper had been bodged because the fixings were wrecked. A brand new Fiat front bumper was pain enough for the moment.

I'll rust treat it before the car goes out on the road in winter, in fact I'll Dinitrol all the box sections underneath as well.

The replacement of the brackets is fairly straight forward, the captives in my umper were also seized but the grinder and hacksaw took care of that.

Since they are solid there is no need however.

Liam

Did a bit more today, number plates are on, mirrors are back on, new scraper seals for the drop windows, wired up the air horns, wired up the lights in the Abarth front bumper, bled the brakes, installed the Ferrari 328 steering wheel.

Its getting very close to MOT time now, hoping to get it booked in for Thursday morning if I get another chance to have a bit of a play.

Completed so far are:

GT front brakes
New rear drums, shoes scissors and handbrake cables
Goodridge hoses all round

Low mileage (18000 miles) late '97 1242 SPI engine with Punto throttle body. All being well this should have a 75 cam

Novitec Airbox, this needs significant work on the bonnet with a 1242
Supersprint Exhaust, altered to fit the Abarth rear bumper

New waterpump
New radiator
New Fan switch
New expansion bottle
Cambelt and tensioner, new
New clutch
2 new engine mounts
new Fuel filter
ALL fluids are fresh

New LH front wing
New front bumper, Not Abarth bit, that was OK
Debadged Bonnet
Debadged tailgate
Doors, bonnet and tailgate painted.

Poly powerflex bushes all round
New anti roll bar bushes (Fiat)
Top strut brace, tried the lower one but its silly, may chop it up and see if it can be improved upon.
Progressive springs and Bilsteins all round.

Replacement electric height adjustable headlights
Smoked side repeaters

14" Speedline alloys with new Pirellis (5)

Replacement driver's seat
Ferrari 328 MOMO steering wheel

There are still a few bits to go, vented arch liner, smoked rear lights spring to mind. Its starting to look suspiciously like a car again though.

needslow.jpg

I know, it needs lowering:D

Last edited:
nice work mate. i notice you've put powerflex bushes on the front? i couldnt really justify that on mine as i'm fitting new wishbones and they have perfectly good OE bushes in there. got new ARB bushes though (may need new arb next though :( )

arc said:
nice work mate. i notice you've put powerflex bushes on the front? i couldnt really justify that on mine as i'm fitting new wishbones and they have perfectly good OE bushes in there. got new ARB bushes though (may need new arb next though :( )

The front ones are much easier to fit than the rears I must say. It'll be interesting to see how it drives.

The rear bushes I took out were pristine, the little beastie sure has swallowed up some cash though. Nothing is particularly expensive as you'll know, we just used a lot of stuff. Fortunately I wasn't paying this time, the car actually belongs to a mate of mine, but he doesn't wield spanners. His wife has an R plate sporting, completely standard that she's owned from new, 31000 mile only. I'm looking forward to trying the two back to back!

Yours is coming along nicely too I see, good work. What's wrong with your ARB?

i bought a set of recon rear arms for mine, so ive not even tried to remove the bushes from the old ones.

My arb has been damaged from where it scrapes the floor. I'm concenred about it failing under hard cornering now. Its not likely, but if it did go - it'd go when the car was on the limits.. and with no arb them limits would rapidly shift.

Might be worth PM ing Gazzaman2k, he bought my crashed Cinq, the suspension on it was fine but it lunched the inner wing which put it beyond economical repair. I know he basically wanted the engine so he may just have the ARB.

Pete

Fivehundred said:
Novitec Airbox, this needs significant work on the bonnet with a 1242

I have thought about this before, as the block is approx 10mm taller, can you not just machine 10mm off the spacer between TB and inlet manifold, if i remember right, they are pretty thick as standard. Or even mount direct onto the manifold. The 36mm TB I got off a Peugeot last week only had a gasket, no spacer.

might have problems with the throttle cable clearing it there. i beleive peaster was looking into this a while back.

i know gexs car runs a machined down spacer to allow his 1242 and induction to fit.

balidey said:
I have thought about this before, as the block is approx 10mm taller, can you not just machine 10mm off the spacer between TB and inlet manifold, if i remember right, they are pretty thick as standard. Or even mount direct onto the manifold. The 36mm TB I got off a Peugeot last week only had a gasket, no spacer.

No, that won't work. The clearance between the bottom of the Novitec and the cam cover is negligible. The only way I can see is to massage the bonnet, or drop the whole engine gearbox. If I lowered a Cinq a lot I'd probably lower the whole engine gearbox, but this one is reasonably sensible.

You can see below how tight it already is.

DSCF0490.JPG

DSCF0493.JPG

Pete

Last edited:
Got to play with it some more today. Treated the inner wheel arches at the front with Dinitrol wax and fitted the arch liners. I think I'm missing one part which goes horizontally back from the bumper underneath the radiator. The RH arch liner is new, actually both are cos we got the wrong side initially. The reason was that I wanted the vented liner to give the cooling the best chance, thats now fitted.

Treated the rear bumper mount, now looks respectable And generally had a go underneath with rust profing wax. I haven't done a really thorough job yet, but its on the agenda.

Finally the moment came to get the jack out and take it off the stands. I pushed it out og the workshop, got in and it fired straight into life. All the lights work, other than the Abarth spots because I haven't pulled the wiring through the bulkhead yet. Its now sat outside my house patiently waiting for its MOT at 10 tomorrow morning.

It still needs some detail stuff, damn good clean and a polish, wiring those lights and the central locking doesn't work properly, I think he actuator in the driver's door wants some TLC. There is a loose piece of trim on the LH screen pillar and thats about it.

It drives very well, it rides very flat, and it certainly transmits road bumps into the shell more than on rubber bushes. It has also made it quite uncommunicative, there is no torque steer, no discernable over or understeer, just point it where you want it to go and it goes. It will need a bit of careful testing to see where the limits are as its not really telling me. There again I haven't tried very hard, 6 in the evening in thick fog is no time for heroics.

Pete

Liam said:
Topped up that coolant yet?

Liam

Its fresh, should be up to level, but I'll check tomorrow morning see if its dropped any. Its running about 85 on the gauge when underway, on the top end of the bar at 90 when sitting left idling. Thermostat, rad and fan switch are new. I may stick in a lower temperature fan switch, running the standard Cinq one at he moment. No cause for concern though.

Pete

Back