General Problems when wet...

Currently reading:
General Problems when wet...

dori2o

I'm having trouble with my 02 Punto when it has been sat outside and it has rained quite a lot.

It's not letting me put any power down and feels like it's stalling. EML has not come on and after the car has warmed up a bit it stops.

It's like it's missfiring

I seem to remember a Saxo I had years ago had the same problem and the solution was to spray the spark lead connections with WD40 or similar to disperse the damp.

Any suggestions?

Moisture would seem to be the problem so try some new sparkplug leads & a good water repellant / moisture sealant. Any part of the HT (hight tension) side of the ignition circuit can become vulnerable in the wet when they become old.

... Any suggestions?

First step - new spark plugs. It maybe the old girl is advising of a naughty black/wet one amongst the nice ash/dry ones.

I ran a Honda engined Rover 213S for way too long - & the old girl needed an overnight blanket on the engine in damp wet weather … otherwise it was plugs out & in the oven for pre-heating before she’d fire-up.

Ten year old car, when was the last time it had a good service? The obvious culprits have been pointed out already. Another wee tip to do on the old girl, is to multi earth. This will make good use of the electrical system.

Back