General Problem with engine after adding water

Currently reading:
General Problem with engine after adding water

Gerald

Hello,

I went for a 10 minute drive tonight. After I parked up I thought I would add some more water to the engine. When I took off the cap, a horrible smelling brown fluid flew out for about 30 seconds. I poured in some water, but I'm now very worried.

Does anyone have an idea as to what it might be?

Many thanks,
Gerald
:)

howdy, not a lot to worry about really. the system runs pressurised to prevent the coolant from boiling its normal boiling point.

as soon as the pressure drops (ie you open the cap) it boils, and expands and flys out the cap.

if the coolant stinks and is brown, then it sounds old. it should be changed as otherwise it can damage the waterways in the head.

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't let the engine cool - the liquid that drenched you was the contents of your radiator! Usually you check fluids when engine is cold that was you don't get the lid for expansion tank embedded in your forehead :slayer:

howdy, not a lot to worry about really. the system runs pressurised to prevent the coolant from boiling its normal boiling point.

as soon as the pressure drops (ie you open the cap) it boils, and expands and flys out the cap.

if the coolant stinks and is brown, then it sounds old. it should be changed as otherwise it can damage the waterways in the head.

Sounds like you didn't let the engine cool - the liquid that drenched you was the contents of your radiator! Usually you check fluids when engine is cold that was you don't get the lid for expansion tank embedded in your forehead :slayer:

Of course! :bang:

I've got another question; How stupid am I?

Very :stupid:

I will buy some new coolant tomorrow.

And thanks for the quick replies. (y)

Easily done...but once you do it you'll always remember to let the engine cool - especially if you've to spend an hour looking for the cap! :rolleyes:

Back