General power steering

Currently reading:
General power steering

mdt1978

i got a problem with the power steering on my ulysse it works when the car is reved up but when the car is just running on tic over the power steering dose not work makeing it hard to park and get out of small spaces is this normal or dose any one no whats wrong :confused:

thanks for your help i am new to the fiat forum and not very good with cars the fluid is ok and cant see any leaks i will see if the belt needs tightening but will have to get some one who nows what thay are looking for:eek: unless you can help:)

i have the same problem with my x reg td if i rev the engine i have power steering if the engine is just ideling i dont have power steering wich makes it hard to park ive checked the pipes etc for leaks but nothing plenty of fluid is there also can anyone help

I have this issue too. I expect it to be down to a sensor that reads the steering wheel/road wheels position and increases the rpm to help the power steering pump with the extra load. However i have no idea where to start looking for the doodad to check it. If its not the sensor then i imagine it could be that there is some kind of servo/actuator that controls throttle position and that could be at fault.

Would resetting the ECU help as i read there are steering geometry sensors that get calibrated during this process?

Last edited:
What year/engine? don't give reg type, just year, Reg letters mean nothing to me as we have a decent system over here, one thing we did get right. have you enough fluid? any leaks? is belt OK? I recently had to replace the pump, old one had gone very lazy and was groaning, also was weeping fluid from housing.

Back