power steering fluid - replacement

Currently reading:
power steering fluid - replacement

Grace

hi there
i have to top up the levels for the power steering and went into halfords who sold me a bottle of steering fluid - GM-6137M. I looked later in the owners manual and it recommend using a replacement fluid with the same specifications as the fluid already in the pump. When I opened the bottle the fluid from halfords was red - and the colour in car at the moment is green - so am not sure if the specs are the same and dont wanna mess anything up!!! HELP - any recommendations? the level is at min at the moment. i have a fiat brava t reg.
many thanks(y)

sorry i cant help ya but just wanted to say if you dont get any replies here may be worth posting this question further down in the brava section :) good luck. and in my opinion 2 diff colours normally means 2 diff specifications

PLEASE DON'T ASK PEOPLE TO POS THE SAME QUERY IN OTHER SECTION, JUST USE THE REPORT BUTTON AND A MOD WILL MOVE IT.

Liam

pas fluid dont normaly go down unless there is a leak

If there's a leak, get it fixed pronto. Steering fluid is flammable, and a leak is quite likely to spray/splash onto something hot ...

I had a steering fluid leak whilst camping in St David's (West Wales) and I was advised by a Fiat dealer, by phone, that I should just keep it topped up and drive home. When I went to my usual garage, they advised that I shouldn't drive it at all until fixed. They had had an Alfa with a steering fluid leak, and after the flames died down the engine bay just looked like a big blob of wax.

your car should have dexronII (red) power steering fluid. the green stuff is called pentosin (used by Audi, VW & BMW only in my experience).

is that a problem?
not really. some people say long term use of pentosin can cause damage to the pump seals if the pump is not designed to use it. but some people are often wrong, that is just a myth that has been around as long as i've been alive. :)

can you mix the 2?
i was always taught the simply rule. never add dexron to a car that is designed to use pentosin. apart from that do what you like.

so on your car you can use and mix whatever you like.

Back