General Potential Panda…

Currently reading:
General Potential Panda…

I'm just confused 208 has been the best selling car in Northern Ireland for example outselling the Corsa at times..

So yes it sells well both in Northern Ireland, the UK ,the EU and Europe...which is why your statement is vaguely confusing given even without the Corsa it would be a very popular car.

Erm...the 208 is consistently one of the best selling cars in Europe? 2022 it was number one for sales across the continent...this year it was 4th as of November.

The Corsa on the other hand sells less except in the UK. However they probably don't care which one you buy..

This is likely what the plan is...sell "localised" versions of the same car.

Take this...they were ok...when they were released over a decade ago they are now incredibly out of date and not particularly good. But they are small and built in Italy so the Italians buy them especially now no one else really makes superminis.

208 only suitable for short people and eleves.

Correct..but they offer the Corsa for those who are neither.

I'm not a fan of "iCockpit" but you don't have to be given they basically sell the same car twice with and without.

Handily it also allows people who blindly hate french cars to buy one without realising.

I just wasn’t impressed with the oil leaks within the warranty period being considered acceptable by any modern, first world car maker - oldest in the world aren’t they? (If you ignore the long winded way that people say it’s Mercedes because of the existence of two companies that did exist before merging to create it eventually or something like that)

I will say, it coped well with having numerous cows run down a country lane and somehow collide with it when my sister borrowed it…. I thought it was written off but I found it’s been MOT’d and taxed since.

My mum has a Mazda 2 now in that crystal red colour. Beautiful and flawless little car. I love driving it as a petrol with no turbo reminds me of my first Panda in the way which it steadily builds speed. Thinking “sensibly” I probably should have went for one… as having a big car is a bit overkill for me. Something tells me (avoiding country lane drama) that this car will be on the road for a long, long time.

Little cars are the way forward for me 😊 in in the meantime… I’m watching out for what Fiat does next. May acquire a Panda Pop in coming years which will allow the Avensis to just be used on loan day trips.

But yeah, having experience with the DS3 which is essentially another remoulded 208 and the actual 208 of my mum, which were both decent spec, nice looking cars - 208 had a nicer ride quality, DS3 had 120 horses and relatively no weight - very different to drive and own. But ultimately I’d choose owning a Panda or a Toyota (based on my personal experiences with them) over either tbh.

Having seen the current Corsa (albeit a low spec one where most of the sat nav buttons just showed a ‘you don’t have this feature’ screen), I can’t see any Fiat moulded one being something that will win our hearts any way the same as the Panda has never failed to :-(

Attachments

• IMG_7591.jpeg
    IMG_7591.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
Correct..but they offer the Corsa for those who are neither.

I'm not a fan of "iCockpit" but you don't have to be given they basically sell the same car twice with and without.

Handily it also allows people who blindly hate french cars to buy one without realising.
Mmmm Im glad I know their origins. and tricks. Fair marketing, but I will never buy from them again until I have lost my memory totally. I hope my hate of their despicable after sales will be THE last thing I forget.
I just wasn’t impressed with the oil leaks within the warranty period being considered acceptable by any modern, first world car maker - oldest in the world aren’t they? (If you ignore the long winded way that people say it’s Mercedes because of the existence of two companies that did exist before merging to create it eventually or something like that)

I will say, it coped well with having numerous cows run down a country lane and somehow collide with it when my sister borrowed it…. I thought it was written off but I found it’s been MOT’d and taxed since.

My mum has a Mazda 2 now in that crystal red colour. Beautiful and flawless little car. I love driving it as a petrol with no turbo reminds me of my first Panda in the way which it steadily builds speed. Thinking “sensibly” I probably should have went for one… as having a big car is a bit overkill for me. Something tells me (avoiding country lane drama) that this car will be on the road for a long, long time.

Little cars are the way forward for me 😊 in in the meantime… I’m watching out for what Fiat does next. May acquire a Panda Pop in coming years which will allow the Avensis to just be used on loan day trips.

But yeah, having experience with the DS3 which is essentially another remoulded 208 and the actual 208 of my mum, which were both decent spec, nice looking cars - 208 had a nicer ride quality, DS3 had 120 horses and relatively no weight - very different to drive and own. But ultimately I’d choose owning a Panda or a Toyota (based on my personal experiences with them) over either tbh.

Having seen the current Corsa (albeit a low spec one where most of the sat nav buttons just showed a ‘you don’t have this feature’ screen), I can’t see any Fiat moulded one being something that will win our hearts any way the same as the Panda has never failed to :-(
I always liked the way the french cars drove, it was juat tge BAD customer treatment that killed it. Having moved too Fiat there is somewhere a fun and smiles element the others lacked. Its gone now so in keeping withmy age Ill buy something else next time probaly from one of the Axis powers

Mmmm Im glad I know their origins. and tricks. Fair marketing, but I will never buy from them again until I have lost my memory totally. I hope my hate of their despicable after sales will be THE last thing I forget.

I always liked the way the french cars drove, it was juat tge BAD customer treatment that killed it. Having moved too Fiat there is somewhere a fun and smiles element the others lacked. Its gone now so in keeping withmy age Ill buy something else next time probaly from one of the Axis powers
I’m watching keenly as to how things look in the future.

A company who built superb engines might be crap at EV tech (what the press would have you believe about Toyota presently). A company with poor engine prowess like the Korean brands might end up (and it looks like this might be the case) as one of the leaders in EV tech.

could be a total plot twist in the market. Take the 208, our experience with it … from that. To potentially one of the most widely adopted and supported - maybe reliable - EV platforms in Europe - who knows. It’s all unwritten so far

Okay, so going back to my first post, the same Panda is now down to £9k.

A Lexus CT200h I looked at last August at a local dealer also dropped a grand... However despite being a nice car and a nice upgrade, it's listed as a 'Sport' but missing some of the sport kit: dark windows, front/rear sensors, heated seats (Lexus website had a press statement about the Sport trim in 2015 stating these are standard). That's putting me off that particular car - however I mention this because in looking at this car, this weekend, I did come to the conclusion that moving on from the Avensis is what I'm going to do for various reasons:

- Every week, posts from owners of 16/17 plate ones owned from new (mostly taxi drivers) between 100-200k, they are going bang (not starting ,metal sounds) or EGR and or turbo needing replaced completely. Multi thousand pound repairs. BMW engine not worth keeping long term, it's a chance to take (at my expense) to persist into older age and hoping the genuine fluids will make a magical difference.

- Putting a lot of diesel into it. A lot. If I want to drive it, I feel it financially. Can't see this improving with age and diesel clogging. Most cars fall short of the stated figure. Not 33%+ short..

- Though I've only 7k left on it, paying that off (likely early) in the next few years, only for it to sprout a random catastrophic failure will leave me that very 7k plus the rest, out of pocket.

- At this point some relatives are agreeing that I'll likely never be content or happy with this engine situation.

The Lexus CT? Others are around the 15k mark or more... getting into more uncertainty over history and spec and it crossed my mind that going from a low insurance group car (Avensis) to that (high insurance) - THIS year when most people are getting huge increases in their renewals - might also be a bad ideal.

I'm looking at that red Panda in the link because a quick search on 'UsedCarsNI' (basically like AutoTrader including all dealers in NI plus private sellers) - shows not many Panda's for sale. This is the newest, good spec one. Otherwise I'm getting into the likes of an already 6/7 year old car - which won't age like a [true] Toyota / Lexus. I'm happy with the Panda and Fiat quality - and I think I'll only come across the same age related issues I did with the first one, which are very much easy to deal with.

The biggest issue I'm having is the mental step of going back to what I had. And going down from a 'big' car where everything other than the engine is considered a 'don't worry it's fine' aspect. The reason why I am even contemplating the Panda despite being able to keep the Avensis or move on to another safe option like a CT, is that personally, in my heart / head I like the Panda. Love it, when I see them on the road it makes me laugh and me and anyone I'm with always point em out and joke about how I wish I had that more than this car (and the joke being, who would possibly think that - but I do!) haha I'm aware of it being a cheaper, less kitted out, and relatively less safe car. But I reckon for the distances I do, the kind of driving I do, it should be fine.

Even the safety concern (this is the big kicker for me because everything else is opinion, this might have a material cost) - surely is more important if I was doing a long commute. But I commute 2-3 days a week, 7 miles. 80% of my driving all year is within the city. When I do 'go far', it's 70 miles to Belfast. That's nothing really compared to you guys on the mainland. I seldom do trips over to England with the car, but even for once a year, even the Panda is more than adequate.

With the Avensis, my trips are pretty much short and as it ages, they'll probably punish any diesel engine and lead to trouble. I think this is karma for how much I slammed diesel engines being stupid in cars on here over the years, to find that I'm now subject to the very things I should have known to avoid.

Many a silly little trip into or around town at night or for no good reason other than to get out and about, have stopped since I bought the Avensis because it's just too thirsty to justify silly trips that aren't need based. The Panda's, I could drive around for no reason at all and rarely feel it on the wallet.

Well, I'm continuing to weigh it up. Everybody thinks the Lexus is a good move (I'm not so sure with those trim differences). I doubt anybody would support me going back to the Panda - though realistically it shouldn't bother them. Granted, I totally get where they come from. And I am a little scared of going back and having disapproval from everybody around me. Before I was given my Panda 169, you'd never have convinced me to want one, or like being in someone else's - you know.

I think I should go for it, and if it's that much of a disaster... well, they seem to be retaining their used values. Surely no odds.

My thoughts aside, now, at £9k, does this seem reasonable as a used price? In 2020 I believe these would have cost around £11,880 on the road. Any car sold in Northern Ireland is going to be (usually a grand above) what you'd get it in England. It'd cost £400-£500 at current prices to drive my car over, trade it in - if they'd even buy it the same day - and that's assuming the car I go to buy, has no issues in person otherwise I could have wasted time off and travel costs for nothing. That's why, although it might seem stupid, I'm giving this car good thought. I tried selling the Avensis privately, no interest sadly. Few calls from people in England who didn't realise the location.

As in my OP, plastic steering wheel on a Lounge - anybody else had that happen?

Maybe you should ask about a part-exchange first and that may answer your question on the red one.

Looks like a smaller, traditional dealer who still believes in the value of adding to every plastic surface a Geri-curl slick of unguent the size of the Amoco Cadiz spill. I would also like to think that the plaid strides revealed in the cabin shots are full matched and topped with a Homburg and a ready smile.

Plastic wheel - meh. After 2018 you lost 2 speakers and luxury leather (p is silent) wheel, so you never have to worry about it delaminating. You're lucky it has leccy mirrors. Most do not.

The back seat is scratched, but then it's easier to pull the kneecap in the 'Operation' game than not scratching the mica-thin paint FIAT bothered to cough onto that mild steel.

That Panda Cross 4X4 TA in the classifieds for a grand is a total no brainer, I'm actually surprised it's not been sold yet or has it?

Also the other guy selling the 2023 plate Panda 4X4 Cross has got to be worth asking the question, if I didn't have a nearly new Panda 4X4 I'd be asking it.

Last edited:
Agreed on that Cross TA for a grand Tone. One owner from new and great history too!

I mean the milage is huge but a grand? Even driving to Norfolk to pick it up, say another £500 from NI and maybe giving the seller £1500 for it, even getting a year out of it and then trading it in for something else after that, a total bargain.

Look a really nice car too, more photos would be great but it's probably sold now anyway I'd guess.

Okay, so going back to my first post, the same Panda is now down to £9k.

A Lexus CT200h I looked at last August at a local dealer also dropped a grand... However despite being a nice car and a nice upgrade, it's listed as a 'Sport' but missing some of the sport kit: dark windows, front/rear sensors, heated seats (Lexus website had a press statement about the Sport trim in 2015 stating these are standard). That's putting me off that particular car - however I mention this because in looking at this car, this weekend, I did come to the conclusion that moving on from the Avensis is what I'm going to do for various reasons:

- Every week, posts from owners of 16/17 plate ones owned from new (mostly taxi drivers) between 100-200k, they are going bang (not starting ,metal sounds) or EGR and or turbo needing replaced completely. Multi thousand pound repairs. BMW engine not worth keeping long term, it's a chance to take (at my expense) to persist into older age and hoping the genuine fluids will make a magical difference.

- Putting a lot of diesel into it. A lot. If I want to drive it, I feel it financially. Can't see this improving with age and diesel clogging. Most cars fall short of the stated figure. Not 33%+ short..

- Though I've only 7k left on it, paying that off (likely early) in the next few years, only for it to sprout a random catastrophic failure will leave me that very 7k plus the rest, out of pocket.

- At this point some relatives are agreeing that I'll likely never be content or happy with this engine situation.

The Lexus CT? Others are around the 15k mark or more... getting into more uncertainty over history and spec and it crossed my mind that going from a low insurance group car (Avensis) to that (high insurance) - THIS year when most people are getting huge increases in their renewals - might also be a bad ideal.

I'm looking at that red Panda in the link because a quick search on 'UsedCarsNI' (basically like AutoTrader including all dealers in NI plus private sellers) - shows not many Panda's for sale. This is the newest, good spec one. Otherwise I'm getting into the likes of an already 6/7 year old car - which won't age like a [true] Toyota / Lexus. I'm happy with the Panda and Fiat quality - and I think I'll only come across the same age related issues I did with the first one, which are very much easy to deal with.

The biggest issue I'm having is the mental step of going back to what I had. And going down from a 'big' car where everything other than the engine is considered a 'don't worry it's fine' aspect. The reason why I am even contemplating the Panda despite being able to keep the Avensis or move on to another safe option like a CT, is that personally, in my heart / head I like the Panda. Love it, when I see them on the road it makes me laugh and me and anyone I'm with always point em out and joke about how I wish I had that more than this car (and the joke being, who would possibly think that - but I do!) haha I'm aware of it being a cheaper, less kitted out, and relatively less safe car. But I reckon for the distances I do, the kind of driving I do, it should be fine.

Even the safety concern (this is the big kicker for me because everything else is opinion, this might have a material cost) - surely is more important if I was doing a long commute. But I commute 2-3 days a week, 7 miles. 80% of my driving all year is within the city. When I do 'go far', it's 70 miles to Belfast. That's nothing really compared to you guys on the mainland. I seldom do trips over to England with the car, but even for once a year, even the Panda is more than adequate.

With the Avensis, my trips are pretty much short and as it ages, they'll probably punish any diesel engine and lead to trouble. I think this is karma for how much I slammed diesel engines being stupid in cars on here over the years, to find that I'm now subject to the very things I should have known to avoid.

Many a silly little trip into or around town at night or for no good reason other than to get out and about, have stopped since I bought the Avensis because it's just too thirsty to justify silly trips that aren't need based. The Panda's, I could drive around for no reason at all and rarely feel it on the wallet.

Well, I'm continuing to weigh it up. Everybody thinks the Lexus is a good move (I'm not so sure with those trim differences). I doubt anybody would support me going back to the Panda - though realistically it shouldn't bother them. Granted, I totally get where they come from. And I am a little scared of going back and having disapproval from everybody around me. Before I was given my Panda 169, you'd never have convinced me to want one, or like being in someone else's - you know.

I think I should go for it, and if it's that much of a disaster... well, they seem to be retaining their used values. Surely no odds.

My thoughts aside, now, at £9k, does this seem reasonable as a used price? In 2020 I believe these would have cost around £11,880 on the road. Any car sold in Northern Ireland is going to be (usually a grand above) what you'd get it in England. It'd cost £400-£500 at current prices to drive my car over, trade it in - if they'd even buy it the same day - and that's assuming the car I go to buy, has no issues in person otherwise I could have wasted time off and travel costs for nothing. That's why, although it might seem stupid, I'm giving this car good thought. I tried selling the Avensis privately, no interest sadly. Few calls from people in England who didn't realise the location.

As in my OP, plastic steering wheel on a Lounge - anybody else had that happen?
Lounge always had a plastic wheel. It may have been up specced in 17/18.

Well guys, I was quite serious about that red one there. The plastic steering wheel slowed me down, and I wasn’t aware of some of those links above.

I saw the one the other member is selling, the near new 23 (with winter pack <heated seats> And CarPlay) - two criteria I gave up hope on finding. Though as I’d have to part exchange and finance it’s unlikely I’d be able to buy it as much as I’d love to. I hope someone on here can take it off his hands, seems a beauty and like we could soon be running out of ‘Nearly new’ models in the next year - two max.

I’ll be honest, the one sole factor holding me back other than finding the right one is the safety. I know it doesn’t matter and I shouldn’t buy a car for anybody but myself, however I quite often now have my girlfriend and her kid (and her kids friends/relations) with us. I always was fine taking my chances in the Panda, I bought my 2017 one in 2019 well after the NCAP attack on its rating. To me, it seldom had anyone in the back - especially on long trips - and having a back seat and boot seemed a decent enough crumple zone if need be. I’ve spent months as you know trying to plan and window shopping online and rationalising buying another, maybe even a new one too at times.

I’ve been making enquiries this week - such as the red one above. One of the cars I was also considering (on the opposite end of the spectrum) was a Lexus CT200 and I ended up buying one.

Had Fiat brought something out (or were on the verge of bringing out a new Panda) based on its own tech / platforms and not heavily Stellantis, I’d probably have held on hope and gladly bought that when it came out. But given that we all feel a reshaped 208 with some funky upholstery colours is all we’re going to get, it seems like it’s not promising in the future.

The Avensis had to go. No matter how much maintenance and 6k oil changes and genuine parts / fluids I use, I still have no faith in German engineering for that engine. Every month there’s a new owner on the Toyota forums with one that won’t start.. metallic noises or needs a new turbo and EGR… some of them taxi drivers, having them serviced like clockwork too. It also costs a fortune to run and drive, I can only justify driving it when I need to, as I’d be spending a small fortune on diesel every month to do the same little silly fun drives I used to do in the Panda and DS3. Even the Merc in eco mode didn’t drain the wallet. And I’d be fine with that if I had a sporting, or quirky handling car with power - but I’m spending the same on fuel as my uncle with the Mazda tourer which as least has 180hp! But when I bought it I knew it was slow, that’s fine with me. Never been in the market for any kind of speed. On top of that, the gears are poor on the Avensis. You can tell this is a rough revision to make the engine work and not a time blessed evolution, in a linear, open road - it’s fine. Pleasant. Smooth. Real world driving however, the overworked turbo and mapping don’t play well with the gearbox in having to shift a big, heavy boat of a car in any sort of hurry. Outside of a linear change up and down, real world slowing down and speeding up jolts it like nothing normal. It ruins an otherwise very comfortable and smooth car. The size is nice, but it’s also a pain in my works car park (very stingy multi story), whilst parking it can be a legitimate fun challenge, sometimes you just want to get in and out.

The running cost and the questionable longevity and the gearing on it have been a big source of frustration for me - I know a lot of folks can live with that, but they probably aren’t forum members.

The CT addresses most of those issues. It’s smaller and lighter and hybrid meaning likely steady good mpg and a noticeable improvement to my wallet every month. It’s 110% Toyota engineering through and through, likely to reward the sort of care I’ll put into it versus falling victim to shoddy plastic guide rails like the N47 block… It’s still relatively modern (fine), it’s “safe” according to the overlords at NCAP, for children as well (as far as the old rating goes) relatively speaking.

For what I’ll be paying I could have bought a fully loaded Panda - and for most of the last year, please believe me when I say - I’ve been trying to let myself do it. I don’t like NCAP, but the 16% child rating would play so much onto my conscience if something happened. It’s one thing had I kept my black Panda, for sure, but to have had a “big safe” car, to pay a premium to go back to the Panda (a new one), and then maybe be unfortunate enough to be in a bad accident, that seems like it’d haunt me more. - I know this safety talk might seem a bit eccentric but I’ve tried myself to overcome it but I just can’t bring myself to do it. It is what it is.

And I’m aware of how that might sound with my latest replies over on the other thread (Panda safety is something I’ll stick up for amidst a silly 0 star attack by NCAP), but as a fanatic of the car, it is what it is (and we love it for what it is) but when push comes to shove as it is for me right now, that’s definitely a factor.

And I do low enough miles to also justify it to myself, mostly in the city. Will that change in the next 5 years? Probably not. But it might - I could change jobs, buy a house in the next town over - anything like that where suddenly I might be doing high mileage, and a 18k plus 5 year financed Panda would be a huge - huge loss money wise to have to change so soon.

I am planning to stick around on here, but I am trying to keep it more helping-people related, most likely with the 169 Panda - where I can be more use to the forum with some of the jobs I’ve done (thanks to your help) over the years. I am guilty of getting into unproductive ruts on here sometimes. I will stick around and try to help when I can!

Nice car the CT and only the size of a Bravo. It should last a long while and hasn't the worry of the all-electric.

Maybe you can supplement it with a cheap weekend toy to play with and fix, thus satisfying your urge to have your knuckles grazed. Cheaper than a gym and more complex than soduku.

Last edited:
Quite envious. Loved my old company CT, a 2015 Luxury in obsidian black with black leather. In hindsight, I wish I'd bought it and kept it. Had a fourth gen Prius after that which was objectively a better car, but never felt as special. For build quality I've never had a car to match that little Lexus. I'd swap my Panda for another one in a heartbeat.

Quite envious. Loved my old company CT, a 2015 Luxury in obsidian black with black leather. In hindsight, I wish I'd bought it and kept it. Had a fourth gen Prius after that which was objectively a better car, but never felt as special. For build quality I've never had a car to match that little Lexus. I'd swap my Panda for another one in a heartbeat.
Thats an awfult thing to say...(lol)
Pandas on the top.
I was following an old Lexus 200 estate the other day.. Stupid aftermarket noise box exhaust and lowered so much it must have been rubbing the tyres on teh wheel arches. Seemed pretty stupid to me, the whole point of lexus is smooth luxurious comfort and some with a slightly sporty edge?? I watched it as it smoked its way, bouncing violently over the horizon.

Back