Technical PO53C OBD error code.

Currently reading:
Technical PO53C OBD error code.

Westies2803

Hi, I posted previously on the above issue. Unfortunately due to health problems had to park the motorhome up for a while. The above OBD code says crankcase breather heater voltage too high. Struggling to find out what part I need. I have now had it suggested that the attached could be the part. I have been advised the above takes oil/water vapour from the crankcase and burns then before returning them to be pushed out the exhaust system. Could anyone help to confirm this could be the correct part. I reluctant to order the part @£135 for it to be wrong. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221110-151916_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221110-151916_eBay.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,210
Your previous post had replies

One of these heaters.. it was suggested for normal UK temperatures it may not be necessary..

But your replies are probably better informed regarding your 2017

Hi

The part in the photo looks like Fiat OE part number 5802052418. If you Google that, you will see it described as:

Damp Heater
Heater LT
Pipe
Oil Return Pipe
Turbo Temperature Heater
Electronic Sensor
Hose Sensor Temperature Oil

In other words, most of the people selling these (either new or used) don't have much of a clue as to what it does ! Even the Fiat parts system can often have pretty vague descriptions.

I did find a photo which shows it attached to a throttle body just upstream of the air input to the turbo. I am fairly certain therefore that this is indeed the pipe which recycles unwanted oily "blow by" vapour from the engine back into the air stream to be eventually burnt. Under very cold weather conditions it's possible for the water vapour component of this flow to turn into tiny ice crystals, which doesn't do the turbo blades much good. The heater is there to melt these and prevent this problem.

Your fault code indicates a possible fault with this component, so it's probably worth changing it. If you can buy just the centre part it might be cheaper and you could re-use the hoses, but you may find you can only buy the whole assembly.

In older Ducatos this was a 20 watt PTC thermistor type heater plain and simple, with only 2 wires. I have no idea if this later part has extra sophistication in the form of valves or sensors.

Attachments

• Fiat Ducato Breather and Turbo.jpg
    Fiat Ducato Breather and Turbo.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 93
Thanks both for your help.
Hi Westies2803. Did you sort the problem that caused Error Code P053C?. I have a 2018 Motorhome on the Fiat chassis. That warning light, in my case, comes on after I drive for 200 - 300 Km. It does not affect performance in any way. Park up and leave overnight and the warning light has gone.

Hi,
No not yet, I have managed to track the attached part from a scraped 2017 Ducato. Hopefully change the part next week,and clear the error code 🤞.My engine light stays on constantly with the following message " check engine" during start up. However when it first happened I could clear the code using a cheap OBDII reader.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221112-161646_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20221112-161646_eBay.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 71
Update..

Having sourced the item below from a scrapped Ducato on the same year & engine code. I connected the power lead to the replacement, plugged my obd 2 reader, cleared the code,then started the engine, which has cleared the engine fault light. Just need to change the fault part out. Hope this can help others. Cheers

2017 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Diesel F1AG. Temperature Sensor 5802052418

Hi

The part in the photo looks like Fiat OE part number 5802052418. If you Google that, you will see it described as:

Damp Heater
Heater LT
Pipe
Oil Return Pipe
Turbo Temperature Heater
Electronic Sensor
Hose Sensor Temperature Oil

In other words, most of the people selling these (either new or used) don't have much of a clue as to what it does ! Even the Fiat parts system can often have pretty vague descriptions.

I did find a photo which shows it attached to a throttle body just upstream of the air input to the turbo. I am fairly certain therefore that this is indeed the pipe which recycles unwanted oily "blow by" vapour from the engine back into the air stream to be eventually burnt. Under very cold weather conditions it's possible for the water vapour component of this flow to turn into tiny ice crystals, which doesn't do the turbo blades much good. The heater is there to melt these and prevent this problem.

Your fault code indicates a possible fault with this component, so it's probably worth changing it. If you can buy just the centre part it might be cheaper and you could re-use the hoses, but you may find you can only buy the whole assembly.

In older Ducatos this was a 20 watt PTC thermistor type heater plain and simple, with only 2 wires. I have no idea if this later part has extra sophistication in the form of valves or sensors.
Hi Anthony489,
Looking at the photo attached, do you know if the rear hose is accessed from under the engine. I can see the crankcase is easy to replace, but can't see where the lower hose connects. Thanks.

Back