Technical Please help 2000 ELX problem

Currently reading:
Technical Please help 2000 ELX problem

neilb93

I have the car about 3 months and the engine light has been on but the car is running perfecly and then 2 days ago the engine light turned off which I was relieved with but now getting upto 2000 rpm in first - third gear there are rubbing and squeeking noises coming from the car and when in 4th and 5th gear I can't put my foot fully on the accelerator as the engine just revs like in nuetral and nothing happens ( only sounds like my engine is going to blow up ) and now I cannot go faster than 40 mph could anyone tell me what is wrong and a possible soloution I would be very grateful.. Neil

could be a number of things.

have you any engine mods done to the car?

it could be one of the coils is dead.... does the car shake/judder violently?

Ecu blown.... could of happened if the coil died sending a surge to the computer from a misfire

or your cat could be blocked

nodrive in 4th or5th is a little worrying as that can be anything on the gearbox really

the eml light will be a code stored which needs a code reader to diagnose

the lack of power over 40mph is probably eml related and needs more diagnostic to tell what's going on

has it had any work done recently?
has it been serviced?

I'd need to see it to find out what's wrong

ziggy

Could the clutch be worn out? How high is the bite on the clutch pedal? Can you start up and move off in third gear?

i did wonder that, but once moving - it should be able to move in 4 and 5th

yes do the handbrake clutch test
Handbrake on - put it in third, no gas - try to take off

If it
Stalls - Its okay atm
It if keeps running - clutch worn out, stop and dont drive till its replaced
if it runs and stuters to a stop - cluth is worn, very very short life left

however contamination can also give the result of a worn clutch - don't rule that out just yet

Ziggy

Its due a service in 1500 miles and the car can take off in third , there isnt a shake or judder just a squeek and rubbing noise , no engine mods done to the car the bite is in the same spot that it has always been in , they all sound like they are costly jobs (n)

It could be the clutch, either worn or contaminated with oil. A good independant shop would fit a proper clutch kit for around the €300 to 350 mark.
Did you do exactly what Ziggy said - handbrake on etc? and where are you?

Back