Currently reading:
Technical phantom grip lsd

lill_nemo1

hi there

its me again

I wanted to join the lsd group buy,

with the final price of the quaife lsd being at about 600ish pound ex postage
its just to expensive for me

I understand the quaife lsd won't wear out as much as an plate lsd, OK thats a big advantage

but what about an lsd type like "phantom grip"

what are the advantages and disadvantages from these type of lsd's?

do they really wear out that fast?
does it affect normal driving so much?
when exiting a corner with hard acceleration, does it handle nasty?

please help me

Oh, and can't you let someone make an "phantom grip"-like lsd?
If you look at the pics, it doesn't seem to difficult (expensive) and if you can make your own plates, the wear out isnt that big a deal, or am I wrong?

look at

www phantomgrip com

and

planetkris.com/gallery/transmisson

Not that my opinion is important but e mail wolf direct racing im sure they can help to a similar price.
as much as an ATB type diff could help, please correct me if im wrong but from what iv been told and experienced is that it will put the torque to the wheel which has the least amount of grip? So not sharing the torque between the wheels. So if ya snap a drive shaft the car wont drive.
If you watch a car equipped with a quaife ATB doing a burn out you will see it switch from one wheel to other usually.
Not saying dont get one just curious thats all

Not that my opinion is important but e mail wolf direct racing im sure they can help to a similar price.
as much as an ATB type diff could help, please correct me if im wrong but from what iv been told and experienced is that it will put the torque to the wheel which has the least amount of grip? So not sharing the torque between the wheels. So if ya snap a drive shaft the car wont drive.
If you watch a car equipped with a quaife ATB doing a burn out you will see it switch from one wheel to other usually.
Not saying dont get one just curious thats all
I think you have this mixed up, an open differential shifts power from the wheel that has the most traction to the wheel that has the least, iirc it means that you put down aproximatly half the power that the lowest traction wheel can transmit.

An ATB LSD does the opposite; it transfers torque to the wheel that has best grip. My turbo has an ATB LSD and on more open high-g corners you can feel the torque loading up the outside front wheel and trying to force the steering tighter, it's a weird sensation at first.

The torque dancing you see during a burn out is the diff searching out the higher traction wheel & pushing the torque to it, but as the traction is broken on both wheels it just spins one harder then reverses. If it was searching out the wheel of least traction you'd end up with only one wheel spinning all the time & the other wheel stationary.

Thank you
accelerating out of corners is bit nerve racking the first few times

Back