General Petrol smell inside!!

Currently reading:
General Petrol smell inside!!

AllenLowe

For a while now I have had a smell of petrol inside my punto. I had it before I replaced the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter as they intake and outtake was damaged and seeping fuel. anyway, I replaced these and thought that would take the smell away. But it hasn't and I still regularly get a whiff in the car. I have checked the intake and outtake on pump and checked filter and there is no signs of leaks or damage other than general wear and tear.

Is there anything else which could cause a smell of petrol in the cockpit?

Thanks
Allen

I used to have a fiesta with a dodgy fuel filler cap. Every time I went around a right-hand corner or roundabout it leaked petrol down the side of the car and gave a very strong smell inside the car. Does it look like any has leaked down the side of your car?

i had this problem in my last car - SEAT Leon cupra

turned out to be breather pipe had spilt. simple DIY job

No, doesn't look like petrol has leaked from the filler cap. I was thinking it could be the breather pipe. I will look at that and let you know... Thanks! ....

... Still open to suggestions! :)

i got same problem in my PUNTO
my friend said it could be the leakage of injection region.
have to replase the seal ring on here.

IMG_0227.jpg

still can find one yet.
FYI

Last edited:
Hi mate :)

Is your pump one that lives in the op of the fuel tank? If so, did you buy/beg/make a tool to remove/refit it? Reason I ask is I've just recently just replaced mine and it was a real **** to try without the tool to do it.

Amazingly, where i'm working they have the exact correct tool that I needed. I'd def try and borrow one to see if your pump securing nut is tight as there's no way mine would ever be right without a tool of sorts (could smell petrol inside the car).

Bet of luck mate (y)

For a while now I have had a smell of petrol inside my punto. I had it before I replaced the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter as they intake and outtake was damaged and seeping fuel. anyway, I replaced these and thought that would take the smell away. But it hasn't and I still regularly get a whiff in the car. I have checked the intake and outtake on pump and checked filter and there is no signs of leaks or damage other than general wear and tear.

Is there anything else which could cause a smell of petrol in the cockpit?

Thanks
Allen

another possibilty is if ur car is over heating then u will smell the fumes strongly i use to have this with my old punto had to replace the radiator and give it a good flush so tht might be a possibility check in cold weather n see if u still smell it as i said thts the possibility but look for a replacement fuel cap aswelll might help....

Back