Partitioning & File System. - New HDD.

Currently reading:
Partitioning & File System. - New HDD.

Recently bought a 1TB external eSATA HDD to use for backup on a PC that's currently running Vista but may soon be changed to 7.

The instruction leaflet with it says it doesn't need partitioning but then goes on to explain how to partition it. :confused:

The drive is pre formatted as FAT32 but the leaflet says that NTFS is better. :confused:

Any suggestions which file system I should use, and how do I decide whether to partition it or not.

If it does need partitioning, how do I decide how many and what size partitions to make.

i think it comes in a state so you can use it straight away but tells you how to partition it if you wanner use it for things like multiple OS installs

I think NTFS has better security cant remember exactly

if your using it for just data back up it should be okay to use it how it is

FAT 32 tends to have a 4GB file size limit, sometimes less. If you want to store anything on the drive (eg, Blu Ray, DVD in a single file), that is bigger than this, your probably best off formatting in NTFS, if not tbh it doesnt really matter. Although apparently NTFS handles its disk space better and is more secure etc.... but I dont think you will notice the difference, I dont lol. (y)

I'd format it NTFS and leave it as it is (one big partition) as sods law you'll exceed the size on one partition and only have to merge / resize them anyway :rolleyes:. UNLESS you use linux in which case you need to use FAT32.

And yes NTFS can store Security ID's (SID's) on files and folders where as FAT32 doesn't.

I'd format it NTFS and leave it as it is (one big partition) as sods law you'll exceed the size on one partition and only have to merge / resize them anyway :rolleyes:. UNLESS you use linux in which case you need to use FAT32.

And yes NTFS can store Security ID's (SID's) on files and folders where as FAT32 doesn't.

this

Back