Technical Part identification help

Currently reading:
Technical Part identification help

cyberbird

Hi,

I am planning to replace steering stalk on my Doblo with one that has Cruise control stick. I am confused because some sellers include this orange ring with the steering stalk while some don't. What is this part called and can I use this orange ring from my current car and just mount it on new steering stalk with cruise control?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The orange thing is called an Air Bag Squib and transmits power to your airbag as the steering turns.
If your vehicle has an Air Bag in the steering wheel it is probably a good idea to get the one that includes it as they can fail over time.
Note. If you are changing it yourself take extreme care if not familiar with them!!!
This involves disconnecting the battery ideally at least 30 minutes before working on vehicle and it is advised to work from one side, as in not with your head over the wheel!
People have been killed when Air Bags discharge/go off when working around that area of many different cars.:(

Thank you very much! I am afraid of airbag a bit, yes, my fist time doing it. Maybe I should wear motorbike helmet. Thank you again sir ❤️

Thank you very much! I am afraid of airbag a bit, yes, my fist time doing it. Maybe I should wear motorbike helmet. Thank you again sir ❤️
Just treat it with respect, disconnect the battery, wait for 30 minutes for the power to go out of the system, then do the job carefully, ideally from outside the car leaning in, but not over the air bag;).
I have done several like that with no problems.
Make sure the steering wheel is central, when you undo the nut holding the wheel on mark the position, note exactly where the "squib" is located in the back of the steering wheel and also where the indicator self cancelling parts sit so the new one goes exactly in the same position as the original.
The squib should come in it's middle position, if it is wound over to one side when fitted and steering turned all the way it can damage it.
With care it should be no problem.:)

The orange ring is the clockspring. It allows connections either side to work as the wheel rotates. Connectors are different according to steering wheel buttons, so must be same as original. Can be swapped across, but great care is needed.

Airbag is an explosive device, triggered by an electrical pulse. There are capacitors, like a short-term battery, so that it can still trigger if the main power is cut. Disconnect battery, go have a cup of tea, capacitors will have discharged. As said, work to one side of the wheel, not directly in line. Crash helmet will not help, as bruising is the least of your worries. If it goes off, the force, if close, is enough to snap your neck, the helmet will not prevent this. Not being in line with it will.
Once there is no power, it is resonably safe, but should still be handled carefully. Dealer instructions say to put into a steel box, face down, and lock in a cabinet. In reality, put it in a safe place, the boot of the car did for me.
Bear in mind, people can hit the horn hard, in temper, without the airbag going off. No reason to kick it around the yard though.

Back