Technical parking brake efficiency, need advice...

Currently reading:
Technical parking brake efficiency, need advice...

Hey!

So I've been for 2nd MOT and yep failed but not majorly only on one thing, the crappy handbrake that puntos struggle to give good handbrakes....

Anyway, so the handbrake readings is as follows:

N/S: 40
O/S: 180

Now the handbrake has been adjusted twice, 1st adjustment the n/s was higher than 40 I think it was 50 not sure on that.

So I'm as a loose end here don't know what to do? Any advice on this guys? Cause pretty much this the only fail now once its sorted it'll sail through... :(

Thanks in advance!

By parking brake the handbrake aint good enough
So wheel cylinder aint gonna make a difference, its a cable or adjustment issue

I'd be tempted to force adjustment to make the rears work better as a get it through

But the best way

The usual benny - strip down
Clean all the friction spots on the backplate AND on the shoes themselves
Give the drums a dam good roughing up with something like 80grit - remove any shine or scoring - just a fresh scratched look required - If you can get somebody to measure the inside internal diameter - check the drums aint worn past there limit

Same for the shoes - ensure the shoes have a matt look to them
Ensure all the pivot spots are free, Ensure the adjuster is free moving, often seizing with heat and brake crap

Ensure the handbrake cables aint looking like the year long toothbrush - should be a nice neat plated cable

Ziggy

By parking brake the handbrake aint good enough
So wheel cylinder aint gonna make a difference, its a cable or adjustment issue

I'd be tempted to force adjustment to make the rears work better as a get it through

But the best way

The usual benny - strip down
Clean all the friction spots on the backplate AND on the shoes themselves
Give the drums a dam good roughing up with something like 80grit - remove any shine or scoring - just a fresh scratched look required - If you can get somebody to measure the inside internal diameter - check the drums aint worn past there limit

Same for the shoes - ensure the shoes have a matt look to them
Ensure all the pivot spots are free, Ensure the adjuster is free moving, often seizing with heat and brake crap

Ensure the handbrake cables aint looking like the year long toothbrush - should be a nice neat plated cable

Ziggy

Heres the crazy thing garage have put the adjusters at the max or so they say, they did mention which is true is under ashtray mechanism isn't strainght (if you know what i mean?) like its gone diagnoal...now for driver side this is the cause of it but if its at 180 thats a great mark and mot pass. For n/s no cable is stretched? Im highly confused by it cause when they did the 2nd adjustment i lost something like 10% or something along those lines....so im baffled to why n/s is recording so little effort. I mean like the test said i was 2% off the pass mark its 15% i was 13%.

Something is a miss, gotta be

If the Drum adjusters are at MAX, then there is either an issue with the shoes (worn)
Or the drum is worn
Or both!

the punto's handbrake can be a stonker if it works correctly!

Have the people adjusting been slackening the internal adjuster right back (loose as hell)
Then working on the brakes? As that could be the cause, done mine a few times where i left tension on - as a result it doesn't quiet adjust up nicely

Ziggy

When cables get old they can lose tension all seams ok but they just don't apply enough force you can put a new cable on for about £20 which I think would be the best place to start

Something is a miss, gotta be

If the Drum adjusters are at MAX, then there is either an issue with the shoes (worn)
Or the drum is worn
Or both!

the punto's handbrake can be a stonker if it works correctly!

Have the people adjusting been slackening the internal adjuster right back (loose as hell)
Then working on the brakes? As that could be the cause, done mine a few times where i left tension on - as a result it doesn't quiet adjust up nicely

Ziggy

Drums is in good condition, now one shoe on n/s has a little lip but surely that cant be the issue? O/s shoes are fine no lip. Obviously if o/s has got 180 that can be left alone right? It also passed the imbalance test...

The two cables that go off to each wheel would be your best bet, keep adjusting them and eventually they will just snap it would also account for uneven force as one cable is more worn than the other

The two cables that go off to each wheel would be your best bet, keep adjusting them and eventually they will just snap it would also account for uneven force as one cable is more worn than the other

So what you saying if i keep adjusting them the cables will snap? So is it best to replace one cable or do they come as pair?

maybe so but the cable thats longer is o/s thats got the 180 mark.......im not trying to get out of paying out on this but i've paid out £335 so far and i rather look into other possible fixes that wouldnt cost a penny i need it to go through mot. The whole cable changing is a last ditch method.

Back