General parcel shelf speakers?

Currently reading:
General parcel shelf speakers?

i was just wondering, with my new JTD i want to keep the standard cd player for the time beeing but i would like a bit more base. im not overly keen on getting a sub... yet :) but if i were to get parcel shelf speakers would this be a solution? what kind of output power does the standard cd player have?

also, a bit off subject but to remove the side indicators you just slide them towards the rear of the car right? n they just pop out?

cheers

The amplifier in the standard cd radio casette is very poor, you will probably find you get a much better sound just by getting a new better quality one, i did.

But you wont get a very noticeable difference in bass from 6x9 or other upgrade speakers, you really do need a sub for that, i have noticed halfords doing a small 'mount under the seat' one for about £40 to £50 though.

About 150w with a small amplifier built into it to hide out the way.

But if your getting the kind of wiring into the car for that anyway, you might aswell just get a proper sub ;)

I'd strongly recommend you simply upgrade the existing speakers rather then mess with the parcel shelf.

I've changed the speakers in my car twice and to be honest, i've never noticed any more bass, in fact i feel the original speakers and original head unit provide adequate bass without the need of a sub.

When i changed my head unit to a Pioneer DEH P9800bt, i upgraded my front and rear speakers to In Phase components and coaxials. The components set me back £110 so i figured they sounded decent. Once they were fitted and tested, i was rather disappointed. Majority of the deeper bass was gone and it just left mid range. Also, it made the doors rattle quite a bit and i really can't stand rattle of any kind!

I've had 6x9s on the shelf, 3 different sets, and while it helped in the bass department, i soon got bored. Thanks to Volxstu, i've now got a proper system and i love it. JBL amp and twin JBL GTO1214 subs. Awesome!

I actually find the standard fit system rather good in the Stilo. I've got the basic 6 speaker set up and I'm fairly happy with it, especially after the properly rubbish 2 speaker/cassette situation I had in my mk2 Punto :rolleyes:

If anything, I think the door trim and the like could do with some better materials or some sound deadening to stop the vibrations. Really bugs me when the doors rattle or the dash trim starts to vibrate :(

LOL, STOP DO NOT BUY!!!!, these caught fire in my parcel shelf coupled with there amp, down to dodgey tweet cross over, if you want "bang for buck" get a set of vibe QB69's not awsoeme quality, but my god they are loud nd proud, currently got 2 sets and 2 subs, sound like :O can easily fill a carpark with sound, let alone a car!

WOW! was that just a dodgy pair you had or are they all like that? because they are my future mod for my punt mk1

dont know about all, but trust me they feel like cheap bits of tat, also they r on ebay for half the price form same seller, and for wht its worth, they sound terrible, deffinatley not worth the money!!! glad i got a refund on safety grounds. oh 4got to mention it was in a petrol station....i had the image of my beloved punto taking out a bit of whetstone, before i covered it in sand....yeh as bang for buck, its cheap, vibe blackair in a good box, 2 vibe QB69's and ull be happy!

Edit: you can fit 2 pairs of QB69's and a sub on mk1 parcel shelf
look :D

thats my 2nd sub

the sub in the shelf does pretty much nothing sound wise, but looks SOOOO cool cos it moves loads, the one in the box, pumps and pumps

Last edited:
But if i was going to get a Sub id get a Kicker 15" 2000w they sound really loud and are amazing my mate didn't have his turned up quarter of the way and a woman 4 blocks down phoned the police it was so funny.

Back