General Panda's at Chiltern Hills Rally 19th May?

Currently reading:
General Panda's at Chiltern Hills Rally 19th May?

Apologies if any of these photos duplicate those already posted... -- but my brain (what's left of it...) is still stuck in a pothole, somewhere, on the A41.... :eek:

Anyhoo... -- the day started well: Pippin passing a significant landmark, just after joining a deserted M40, at Banbury.... (y)

However, after leaving the M40, I then had a fatal encounter with a pigeon. Luckily, Pippin's bumpers are made of stern stuff; and, after a quick wash-down in a nearby layby (and removal of feathers and other 'stuff'), here he is, at the beginning of a wonderfully warm day.... :eek:

Here are a couple of non-FIAT highlights of the show.... The first, because I used to own one of these, and in this colour... :rolleyes:

...and the second one is for VmanC.... :cool:

Along came a Spider... :slayer:

...and here we all are, in formation... -- a Mk1; a Mk2; another Mk1; another Mk2 (Sisley); and a Mk? ;)

Here are a few individual car shots... -- to begin with, Palio's yummy white Mk1.... :slayer:

Next comes the star of the show... -- Pinky...! :cool:

Palio's other Mk1 (with the yummy wheels...). :yum:

VmanC's Sisley (with matching scout500...). :worship:

scout500's, er, 500...! :cool:

And that completes the front row.... Behind were Palio's mum's Mk4 4x4 (which I'm afraid I drooled over, a little...). :yum:

...next to VmanC's (or is it Barbara's?) Oslo Grey 4x4 (the same colour as my beloved Betty...) -- showing the evolution of the species rather nicely, I thought.... :slayer:

And here's a rather rare brace of Panda Tents... -- the one in the foreground erected(?!) with much more speed, panache and finesse than the one behind (with my apologies to Palio: one, for my rusty tenting(?!) skills; and, two, for not getting a good shot of the Sisley...). :eek:

And, finally, here's Pippin in all his shiny glory.... (And I only took photos of the others when the sun went in, so that Pippin would look all the better, of course....) ;)

Oh, okay, here's one more, since you asked... -- a Panda of a different breed, taking us full-circle, and me back to my dim, distant youth (with the emphasis on "dim"...). :eek:

Again, I have to say what a great day it was. Fifteen hours of pure fun... -- and it all flew by far too quickly (apart from the bit where I had to queue for the loo, behind about thirty other people...). Thanks, again, to everyone involved... -- and, of course, to the organizers; and the weather.... :worship:

PS: I nearly forgot to mention the real highlight of the day (apart from VmanC's stunt roll...): my young namesake's drive around the field, at the end of the day -- exhibiting fantastic skill, and great car control.... We even got a rather cool wheel-spin...! Superb...! :worship:

Last edited:
You can read the real story behind this picture, here; but I'd like to imagine you can hear the sound of the turbo (he doesn't have) at full boost; and Pippin screaming waaaay beyond the red line (he doesn't have), as he zoooomed past the other Pandas.... :D

PS: For sake of completeness, this is the T-shirt I was wearing all day, yesterday; having taken off my red FIAT Forum hoodie, I'm afraid... -- but I do have the tan to justify why.... And don't I look remarkably like Ben Fogle...?! ;)

Last edited:
Love all the new photos! Sorry I missed it also as it was only a couple of hours drive from me but had other commitments.
I'm still waiting Gavin (@palio) to see if I won the cup of coffee for guessing which cars were washed/polished etc :D

1 a Panda which has been washed and left to its own devices - no polish, potions or lotions.

2 a Panda which has been washed and Meguiars Quikwaxed rather than anything complicated or properly polishy. No special bumper stuff or glass stuff - just Quikwaxed on anything that didn't move.

3. A Panda which has had the dust taken off with a Meguiars big fluffy stick thing (I forget the name) then quickly Quikwaxed over everything. Again no proper polishy stuff.

Which is which? Cup of coffee if you can get them all right! (y) I think you'll spot the one which has been left but maybe not the others.....

Great photos!

I recon 1 is white MK1 panda

2 is your Sisley

3 blue MK2

Looks like a great day out!![/QUOTE]

Love all the new photos! Sorry I missed it also as it was only a couple of hours drive from me but had other commitments.
I'm still waiting Gavin (@palio) to see if I won the cup of coffee for guessing which cars were washed/polished etc :D

You were the only entrant & nearly got it right. You were excluded on a technicality but can have a coffee at Panda Camp anyway!

1 & 2 were right (though I got a second wind & did the Sisley's bumpers in the end!). 3 was the technical fault as mine was the blue mk1 not mk2 ;) Apart from getting confused over which were mine (I do too :eek: ) it was near enough for the coffee (y)

Great photos!

I recon 1 is white MK1 panda

2 is your Sisley

3 blue MK2

Looks like a great day out!!

You were the only entrant & nearly got it right. You were excluded on a technicality but can have a coffee at Panda Camp anyway!

1 & 2 were right (though I got a second wind & did the Sisley's bumpers in the end!). 3 was the technical fault as mine was the blue mk1 not mk2 ;) Apart from getting confused over which were mine (I do too :eek: ) it was near enough for the coffee (y)[/QUOTE]

I know yours was the MK1 (and that was the car i was judging) I just wrote it down wrongly in my post :bang:
The bumpers on the Sisley did throw me for a while though as they looked very nice (y) so technically I was spot on and from photos too! I'm very proud of myself :)

Lets change the coffee to beer at panda camp

I thought Didge3 would be the first to comment on this...! ;)

Once you get the revs up, Pippin goes like stink. I would really love a fifth gear, though: as all acceleration starts to die after about 60-65 mph.... :eek:

So much fun to drive, though...! :D
I didn't comment because I thought you were making a point of the millage rather than the speed. 750's are fine at 70 - 80. I hit an indicated 82 ish... the other day, but I have a 5th gear :p

Ok, I was going downhill....

I hit an indicated 82 ish... the other day, but I have a 5th gear :p

I feel it is now time to act my shoe size, and challenge you to a Top Gear-style drag race.... ;)

Anyone know of somewhere suitable? Is VmanC able to provide me with a spare set of mechanicals when I blow mine to smithereens? Could there be a bottle of JD in it...? Time for a lie-down, I think.... :eek:

Anyhoo... -- the day started well: Pippin passing a significant landmark, just after joining a deserted M40, at Banbury.... (y)

The speed limit! Wow!

I thought Didge3 would be the first to comment on this...! ;)

Once you get the revs up, Pippin goes like stink. I would really love a fifth gear, though: as all acceleration starts to die after about 60-65 mph.... :eek:

So much fun to drive, though...! :D

How did you get that photo? I hadn't realised it wasn't stationary - it's very clear. :worship:

Maybe the needle stuck when you hit that speed!! :D Many many years ago a 903cc 127 got its speedo stuck just north of an indicated 85 just as it went past a speed trap on the motorway. It may have been tricky saying it never went over 70 with the needle there, but fortunately it fell back to earth when coming off the motorway (though it did always stick again at that point - on the track obviously!). No explanations were required as it happened, and anyway road tests said it couldn't go that fast.......;)

5th gear might blunt its performance anyway. The 4 speed 1000CL's are definitely quicker than any 5 speed I've driven. (y)

Edit: If there's a drag race I'm using Chiaro. Vernon can have what's left foc if I blow it up, but I feel that's unlikely or it would already have gone bang at some point in the last couple of years.....

Last edited:
How did you get that photo? I hadn't realised it wasn't stationary - it's very clear. :worship:

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have taken it had the motorway not been completely deserted (or I would have slowed down... -- but I quite liked the fact that it showed me at speed...). :eek:

I actually just waved my iPhone (and, yes, I know you shouldn't drive one-handed, officer...) in the general direction of the speedo, and held the shutter button down: taking about eight or nine shots. Amazingly, this was the one photo that wasn't blurred (and at 1/20 of a second exposure...)! Some of them didn't even show the mileage...! :rolleyes:

5th gear might blunt its performance anyway. The 4 speed 1000CL's are definitely quicker than any 5 speed I've driven. (y)

Excellent news...! :D

Edit: If there's a drag race I'm using Chiaro. Vernon can have what's left foc if I blow it up, but I feel that's unlikely or it would already have gone bang at some point in the last couple of years.....

I'm going to borrow scout500's TwinAir engine, and somehow shove it under Pippin's bonnet; or, perhaps, having seen the hill-climb, spray Pinky azzurro nautico...! ;)

I feel it is now time to act my shoe size, and challenge you to a Top Gear-style drag race.... ;)

I've been thinking about this drag race thing since Aston and CLS had a go at one of the first panday's

There is a place in crystal palace park where this could be done (y)
Also a great event there this coming weekend that has been getting bigger and better over the last few years (y)

http://www.motorsportatthepalace.co.uk/

The 4 speed 1000CL's are definitely quicker than any 5 speed I've driven. (y)
The ratios 1-4 are the same though, they just added another gear :confused:
I don't use my 5th gear for anything other than cruising, accelerating in a hurry in 5th is pointless, its merely to make the engine quieter at motorway speeds. On twisty A-roads I always stick to 4th, changing up to 5th just makes me slower.

I don't have anything covering the 750 with a 5 speed, but the final drive ratio is definitely different on the 1000 4 speed v 5 speed according to the manuals. I'd assumed the 750 would be the same?

All I know is that I've yet to find a 5 speed that feels as quick as the 4. When's that race? (y)

Nope, 5th ratio is very similar to 4th.

You coming to Panda camp? We'll give it a test, 750 vs 750 stand off :p

Slowest Drag Race ever :eek:

In that case I'll bring the Sisley. I think it will be slower than a 750 unless we're in a field........... ;)

What were the relative 0-60 times for the 4x4 and 750 out of interest - anyone know? (y)

Yup! (y)

Nope, 5th ratio is very similar to 4th.

Nope! (n)

According to my (hastily-conducted) research on automobile-catalog.com:

Gear|5-speed|4-speed|Max. theoretical speed
1st|3.909:1|3.909:1|22 mph
2nd|2.056:1|2.056:1|43 mph
3rd|1.344:1|1.344:1|65 mph
4th|0.978:1|0.978:1|89 mph
5th|0.837:1|n/a|105 mph*

*In reality, supposedly 78 mph max. (for both) -- with 0-60 mph happening in 22.3 seconds (0-70 mph takes 40.8 s; and 40-70 mph takes 31.8 s...)! :eek:

Drag times|0-1/4mile|Speed at 1/4mile
5-speed|22.1 s|60 mph
4-speed|22.1 s|60 mph

I shall obviously have to bribe VmanC to get Pippin in a high state of tune...! :devil:

Last edited:
Back