Technical Panda HID problem

Currently reading:
Technical Panda HID problem

MattCTA

Hey guys, I'm new here so let me introduce myself. I'm Matt from Wales and I've been driving Panda's since I passed, and I love them lol.

Bought myself a Panda 100hp about a month ago and decided I wanted to do some upgrades to it, one of which was upgrading the lights to a HID kit. I installed the kit with no problems and all was working fine, until after a day, the drivers light went out. So I did some troubleshooting and realised that it was the ballast that was gone (after just one day?). So I mailed the shop I bought it off and they agreed to send me out a replacement ballast.

When I got that through the door, it was straight on and everything was great again, lights were in perfect working order. Now again, after a day, the HID on the drivers side has gone out (haven't checked whether it's the ballast yet, but I can guess it is) and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there's a reason why it's happening?

Cheers guys!

Hey guys, I'm new here so let me introduce myself. I'm Matt from Wales and I've been driving Panda's since I passed, and I love them lol.

Bought myself a Panda 100hp about a month ago and decided I wanted to do some upgrades to it, one of which was upgrading the lights to a HID kit. I installed the kit with no problems and all was working fine, until after a day, the drivers light went out. So I did some troubleshooting and realised that it was the ballast that was gone (after just one day?). So I mailed the shop I bought it off and they agreed to send me out a replacement ballast.

When I got that through the door, it was straight on and everything was great again, lights were in perfect working order. Now again, after a day, the HID on the drivers side has gone out (haven't checked whether it's the ballast yet, but I can guess it is) and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there's a reason why it's happening?

Cheers guys!

Hi Matt, and welcome to FF,

you'll no doubt stir-up a load of "lovers + haters" mentioning HID on here :D

firstly,
the wiring on the "modern" panda is a bit odd apparently, people have reported only 1 light works.. type stuff quite regularly..
mines been A1 in 10 years and 80K..,:worship:
BUT there are people who have "issues" .. having only owned yours for @ 1 month.. there could well be an underlying fault that the HID have highlighted..??

the SEARCH on here is excellent.. so have a trawl (Search = advanced) and you should find some helpful posts..,

PS What part of wales..??, as we had a good meet in monmouth 5 weeks ago., (y)

Charlie

Last edited:
Hi Matt

I am an HID XENON importer, and what I would suggest is ALWAYS buy a decent branded name, and I'm not here to promote Philips but they are clearly the best after market's you can get!

Usually bulbs are more prone to cause problems, but cheap chinese balasters are culprits too because of the electronics, any set you buy will have a voltage range in witch the function properly and if you have a faulty alternator it will definitely chow the balasters, however you've already spent money on the ones you have, do your self a favor and check your connections once again as week connections causes heat and then failure!

Good luck

No comment here, illegally modify headlights and then ask for advise on why the illegal modification isn't working (n)

What's the view of your insurance company when you declared this modification?

Lets hope you never get me coming the other way towards you as my legal OEM Bi-xenon HIDs will give you some of your inconcideration in return.

If it has ballasts then it is an illegal mod. It has to have a correct projector lens to correctly direct the beam because the stock reflector will just scatter it and blind every one ahead.

I did my research and bought RHD HID projector lens kit that came with wiring, bulbs and ballasts.... and most importantly is legal.

P1000773.JPG

Illegal HIDs are illegal for a reason; they're an absolute pain (not to mention a danger) to other, more considerate, road users.

It's a shame the Police don't give people points for having them, in my opinion. Illegally endangering and discomforting other road users isn't big, clever or cool.

If you want HIDs, either buy a car with them fitted from the factory, or put some effort in and get proper, legal HIDs like Demi's.

End rant...

Lens kits are not that expensive. I paid under £80 for everything, lenses, shrouds, inverters for angel eyes, HID bulbs, ballasts and wiring loom. Everything I needed. Since you have HID kit already, u just need lens kit. Can grab them from as little as £25 for small ones and up to £45 for something like mine. Easy to fit as it is a KIT but u will have to take the headlight apart that's is the only hard part and re sealing it back.

Lens kits are not that expensive. I paid under £80 for everything, lenses, shrouds, inverters for angel eyes, HID bulbs, ballasts and wiring loom. Everything I needed. Since you have HID kit already, u just need lens kit. Can grab them from as little as £25 for small ones and up to £45 for something like mine. Easy to fit as it is a KIT but u will have to take the headlight apart that's is the only hard part and re sealing it back.

From your pic it looks like you now only have dipped beam. Is that correct?

From your pic it looks like you now only have dipped beam. Is that correct?

No. Every thing as it was stock. Both beams work and the the two buttons on instrument cluster housing still raise and drop the beam too. That picture was taken after the instal so dipped is to high up. I had to wait till it got dark, parked in front of the wall, did my markings on the ground and the wall, backed the car and adjusted the beams to the correct spread and height. (y)

Whereabouts did you get the kit from if you don't mind me asking?

Whereabouts did you get the kit from if you don't mind me asking?

Online :D. Ok, ok sorry. I bought mine on Ebay (if I'm not mistaken, I buy pretty much everything there, but could have been just online). There are ton of kits, all shapes and sizes. Normal or fancy (like the one I have with 2 angel eye CCFLs).

Google "projector lens kit" or "Angel eye HID kit" or "Devil eye HID kit" and go to images. See what you like and then follow the picture link to see the details. Then u can search for that one to find few places that sell it.

Even if the kit u like on site sold as LHD dont mean u cant have it. I e-mailed the seller and they said if I buy the LHD from them and add a note, they will ship RHD kit for UK to me. If u dont ask, u dont get (y) So dont give up and make sure u ask all ur questions. They will help u, at the end of the day they r there to make money.

Also if u r planning to get one of these kits and u picked the one u like. search till u find lenses dimensions, some are too long and might not fit. If Im not mistaken mine was 118mm from lens to the back and went in fine. And make sure u get the right kit for ur headlight housing ei H4 (if im not mistaken)

Smaller kits u just bolt on, everything supplied. Larger (like mine) u might have to trim lens surround so it fits in (i had to do that, but I was after lens that would take as much room inside the reflector) as u can see on this picture.

P1000675.JPG

When u buying a kt, make sure it has everything. Some state in the description - No HIDs or Ballasts. So u will have to buy them separate. But u can easily find same kit with everything included.

Hope this answered all u questions and more. Any more, ask away, I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:
It's a shame the Police don't give people points for having them, in my opinion.

It's a shame the Police don't impound cars fitted with them at the roadside, in my opinion. A nice long walk home on unlit roads in the dark will show you why fitting such things isn't a very bright idea, if you'll pardon the pun.

:yeahthat:

Also same for black crap kits on rear lights (never mind certain idiots 'tinting' the front !). They are there (the lights) for a reason. Anyone buggering up those lights by fitting bits of dark pastic or spray should have the vehicle removed from them. - Along with their license to drive.
Not that I think not having a license or indeed insurance would in the least affect the majority of the type of people who do this in the first place :rolleyes:

First question, are your HIDs road legal? If they're not, it's only a matter of time before you get pulled and ticketed for having them.

Given that the Police are not bothering to pull over and prosecute drivers for much more serious offences I doubt they'll bother with bright headlights, the mot tester will have to take care of that.

Given that the Police are not bothering to pull over and prosecute drivers for much more serious offences I doubt they'll bother with bright headlights, the mot tester will have to take care of that.

A quick search of Google seems to bring up lots of people on different car forums who've been pulled over and ticketed for having illegal HIDs, and quite rightly so.

I'd imagine it most frequently occurs when these idiots have managed to shine their obnoxiously bright headlights in the eyes of a police officer in front of them or coming the other way.

:yeahthat:

Also same for black crap kits on rear lights (never mind certain idiots 'tinting' the front !). They are there (the lights) for a reason. Anyone buggering up those lights by fitting bits of dark pastic or spray should have the vehicle removed from them. - Along with their license to drive.
Not that I think not having a license or indeed insurance would in the least affect the majority of the type of people who do this in the first place :rolleyes:

Where as some tinting methods might be illegal, the FlyEye tint is legal and complies with MOT Lighting Regulations. So do your research before implying at FF members as "certain idiots" it will stop the future arguments. We have too many on here already.

Where as some tinting methods might be illegal, the FlyEye tint is legal and complies with MOT Lighting Regulations. So do your research before implying at FF members as "certain idiots" it will stop the future arguments. We have too many on here already.
I stand by my comments - dont bugger about with lights. Not big, Not Clever, End of... (y)

Back