Styling Panda BBQ

Currently reading:
Styling Panda BBQ

Update!...

I have painted the whole thing now (zinc and matt black / heatproof paint).

While the sky tsunami was doing it's worst I prepared the grille (with hinged bracket ;)). Found a "fire" badge which came off a mk2 tailgate and painted the Fiat badge and fire badge with red enamel....

Photo2198.jpg

Damn rain!...
Photo2197.jpg

but with rain over fitted nicely :D...
Photo2200.jpg

Headlight plan is developing as well with one old panda reflector and one old marbella reflector (both post crash :eek:)...
Photo2207.jpg

Also added a hidden shelf below the BBQ drum for storage (and plate warming as was suggested :D) by hinging the grille:
Photo2205.jpg

Photo2204.jpg

So starting to look quite bad ass!
Photo2203.jpg

Going to finish off the headlights tomorrow with chicken wire (if I can work out how to attach it) and make some Bamboo tables either side of the BBQ drum. Then fire it up for the first time probably to make sure nothing melts!!

Oh needs an ash collection / disposal chute as well! :D

Looking really good Si (y)

Had to chuckle at those photos - looks like a real Panda with an oil leak showing underneath it (yes I know it was water!). :)

Looking really good Si (y)

Had to chuckle at those photos - looks like a real Panda with an oil leak showing underneath it (yes I know it was water!). :)

Well oil leak is to be expected on a panda that has burst through a brick wall :devil:

I'm thinking that could be a good set-up...push it up against the garage wall and have a load of bricks scattered around :D

OK, few more bits done. Didn't finish headlights but will look a little bit like this:

Photo2210.jpg

I couldn't help myself with the number plate sorry :eek:

And it has a sort of bamboo table to rest plates on. Some finishing off to do there as well but will do for now.

Photo2211.jpg

Too dark to show you the ash disposal and adjustable air vent but also did that. Will put up pictures tomorrow.

So far a holiday well spent I think! :eek:

Si.

That is the best thing I have seen in EONS, but thats GAS and ELECTRIC and yours is powered by CHARCOAL..

The parts you have used to build it look better than those on the front of my 4x4.

Swap please!!!!

Dave

Si.

That is the best thing I have seen in EONS, but thats GAS and ELECTRIC and yours is powered by CHARCOAL..

The parts you have used to build it look better than those on the front of my 4x4.

Swap please!!!!

Dave

Haha, the "drivers" side wing is actually a new wing because I didn't have a scrap one (although it was a tatty dented new old stock one) but the rest are all old with rust holes and dents. The "passenger" side wing is truly rotten and I had to restore it but it still has a hole as you can see in this photo:

Photo2215.jpg

The inside of this wing was even worse. It was used on the roads for 3 years with no paint other than the standard black paint panels come with. Should be ok for this job though, no salted roads to worry about unless someone gets liberal with the seasonings that is :devil:

So anyway there was fire and food was cooked and no deaths I know of. I didn't get many pictures as there was a bit of hosting to get on with...
Photo2220.jpg

Photo2216.jpg

Got a little smokey under the gazebo but no way the BBQ was happening any other way! There was a thunder storm, rain, sun and rainbows. But we managed to keep fairly dry!
Photo2221.jpg

Shame I didn't manage to get the headlights done in time but fortunately only cosmetic. Chicken wire is so nasty! I have so many cuts on my hands, it has a way of hooking into the skin and staying in there till the mesh is painted red! :eek:

The front panel got quite hot but none of the plastic bits melted (i.e. the panda grille). The bonnet got hot at the start when the flames were still quite big but as the flames died down the bonnet was much cooler. So the principle is ok. Just a few additons suggested. Some cooking tool hangers on the inside of the bonnet, and the addition of the fan to blow air into the coals for extreme heat and headlights (which were already sort of in the plan...

So ready for a Panda social at some point! :slayer:

So finally got round to finishing off the headlights on the Panda Q...Mesh box with fibre glass slapped around the sides...not particularly professional but in keeping with the Panda Death look...the "eyes" look quite sinister now I think :devil:...

WP_20150808_17_18_34_Pro_highres_-_Copy.jpg

WP_20150808_14_23_38_Pro_highres.jpg

The coal trays need a bit of improvement so had a go at allowing more air to get underneath by cutting out the bottom panel and replacing with chicken wire...will see how that goes!...Still needs the radiator fan set up to turbo charge it but this will do for now...

WP_20150808_14_24_00_Pro_highres.jpg

Just a thought -
How about a reverse thermo switch in the grill pan to automatically cut the fan in and out, and head/side lights that go off at the same point..? - Lights on = 'Grill good to go', lights off = 'Too cool to cook'.

Battery needs a home away from the heat, or tuck a little motorbike one somewhere.

Just a thought -
How about a reverse thermo switch in the grill pan to automatically cut the fan in and out, and head/side lights that go off at the same point..? - Lights on = 'Grill good to go', lights off = 'Too cool to cook'.

Battery needs a home away from the heat, or tuck a little motorbike one somewhere.

I like it!! Shame the A panels aren't included as could use the hazards for when not hot enough to cook! :slayer:... I could fit actual indicators where they normally are on the headlight unit actually. :D maybe sidelights are easier though. Was going to use them for mood lighting but this could be more appropriate!

Back