Technical Panda Axle repair

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Axle repair

I attach picture of my condition.

Yours actually doesn't look that bad, yet. But if left untreated, eventually it will fail.

Doing anything is better than nothing; even just brushing engine oil into the cups & obvious rusty bits will likely get a few more years out of it. Do the sump as well while you're under there.

The other solutions are all in this thread, and depend on how much time/effort/money you're prepared to throw at it.

Anything involving a painted finish requires full dismantling and very thorough metal preparation, or it'll just look good initially but continue corroding under the paint.

Last edited:
Yours actually doesn't look that bad, yet. But if left untreated, eventually it will fail.

Anything involving a painted finish requires full dismantling and very thorough metal preparation, or it'll just look good initially but continue corroding under the paint.

The only way to be sure a rusty axle will survive is to remove from the car and grit blast the rust off. Weld repair any areas that look potentially weak (front of spring pan, one sided weld on inner web/brace and rear shock angle bracket.

You can then have it hot zinc metal sprayed or powder coated costs are about the same. That will outlast two cars.

I now have a 2015 Fiat 500 axle under my Panda. It fits fine

I've used the 500 brakes, shocks and springs. Brakes are identical. Shocks look identical. Springs are longer but softer so the back ride height is more like the 100HP. I will try some 1" spacers under the spring mounts but may well go back to the Panda rear springs. The ride wont be as good but load crying is better.

I've not tried the front, but if you want better road holding, 500 springs all around are likely to be the best. If you want the Panda's utility then the stiffer Panda springs will be more acceptable.

Here's how it looks.
5170bf4d-6c20-4134-9c93-4dd8a05b1a8d_zpslc5huvcc.jpg

Last edited:
Fortunately my local garage agree with you chaps and tell me that I have surface rust only and the old girl should be fine for a few years yet. I will however investigate removal and coating.
This was not before I had done some research and looked at quotes. I received this one.....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 111
It will take a couple of hours to take the axle off the car. Then clean it with angle grinder and wire cup brush and finally treat with Waxoyl or similar.

It its simply looking rough, jet wash the axle and treat with your favourite anti rust wax.

Don't even think about angle grinding rust from under the car. It will end in tears (if you have any eyes left).

Would painting Kurust on and then topping it with stone chip be any good??

The issue is getting enough rust removed for something like Kurust to do a full job. It does work but often can't get to the bottom of rusty pits so the problem just came back. Its like an infection.

The (almost) very best option is grit blast and zinc spray. All done for about £80 if you take the bare axle to the strippers.

The next best option is to clean off all loose rust with a jet wash and treat with Waxoyl, Dinitrol or whatever.

Just failed mot.. whole cups disintegrated..

Attachments

• IMAG8400.jpg
    IMAG8400.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Pretty simple to do. DaveMcT did a good post on the method.
Just needs a good jack, couple of axle stands, some basic tools and preferably a spare pair of hands for the lifting part, although not essential.
I have only recently come across my first really bad one... swapped it with a better one and I'm pondering how best to repair the bad one to keep as a spare. Bizzarely it has one pretty good spring cup and one really bad one.

So is that it for your Panda?

Hope not Im just trying to locate a replacement Beam..

Blimey...that looks pretty bad...was any deterioration noted earlier?

is the yellow from the mot inspection..??

Charlie

Funny enough we only bought the car last year and have done an mot check, it failed on this last year, yet went to another garage and passed with no advisories.. (dodgy no doubt) so got a bit screwed over, car only has 45k on and is other wise in good condition...

A year and a half on from the repair job on mine and she is still going strong.
I had the other side done as a precaution so hopefully no issues for a while yet.

Good to know these can be repaired.

Had a look at mine the other week after seeing this thread, I expect it to need repairing soon. Passed last MOT 3 months ago, but it looks very crispy and rusty on the axle.

Think I'll remove mine and see if taking a wire brush and some waxoil to it helps. Small project one day when I get a few days off.

Thmpptrck,

Can I ask how old your panda is?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of buying one, perhaps 7 or 8 years old.

Can I also be cheeky and ask what sort of price the replacement cost?

Thanks.

Hope not Im just trying to locate a replacement Beam..

Funny enough we only bought the car last year and have done an mot check, it failed on this last year, yet went to another garage and passed with no advisories.. (dodgy no doubt) so got a bit screwed over, car only has 45k on and is other wise in good condition...

My panda was an 07 plate with only 30k on the clock...other than the rusty cups it was and still is in very good condition.
When it failed it was a proper clunk and the spring fell onto the road, lucky we were only in a car park and not at speed. The guy that welded mine up didn't even take off the axle. Just did it on a ramp so repairs are possible and certainly in my case not excessively expensive.

Thmpptrck,

Can I ask how old your panda is?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of buying one, perhaps 7 or 8 years old.

Can I also be cheeky and ask what sort of price the replacement cost?

Thanks.

It's a 56 plate. It's in great condition other than the beam although have changed it today only took a few hours...paid £120. For replacement.

Attachments

• IMAG8456.jpg
    IMAG8456.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 97
  • IMAG8458.jpg
    IMAG8458.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMAG8453.jpg
    IMAG8453.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 114
  • IMAG8455.jpg
    IMAG8455.jpg