General Panda 4x4 Gear Ratios

Currently reading:
General Panda 4x4 Gear Ratios

kbooth1

Doing a bit of research on this gearbox. Could anyone tell me the ratios for this gearbox and also the final drive.

Also how many gears has it got?

Many Thanks

Karl

Doing a bit of research on this gearbox. Could anyone tell me the ratios for this gearbox and also the final drive.

Also how many gears has it got?

5 forward (1 very short)
1 reverse...

ratios... well 1 is the lowest :) work it out from there.

something tells me you're not using the gearbox for a panda... what's the project.

5 forward (1 very short)
1 reverse...

ratios... well 1 is the lowest :) work it out from there.

something tells me you're not using the gearbox for a panda... what's the project.

Its for a little racecar design project, don't worry when I'm winning races in it I'll tell them thats its all down to the panda's.

Need to know the ratios to see what diff i'll need to use. If anyone can help please reply

i think the above might be the 2wheel drive gearbox.
because the 4x4 had a much lower 1st gear than that ! i think

aran.

The first 4 gears are, in fact, the same as the 2wd with only 5th being different (0.837). Its the difference in final drive ratios (2wd 15/58) which makes the 4wd's first 4 gears 'lower'.;)

These figures are for the mk2:) cheers Damon

The first 4 gears are, in fact, the same as the 2wd with only 5th being different (0.837). Its the difference in final drive ratios (2wd 15/58) which makes the 4wd's first 4 gears 'lower'.;)

These figures are for the mk2:) cheers Damon

ahhh ! ok,
well i am very enlightened / confused !

would there be any way of making a 4x4 panda the same final drive as the 2x4 then !!!????? change the diff ??
would be nice !

thanks

aran.

Hi all

Are you sure the fifth gear ratio is 0.73? In german manual for 4x4 1000 the ratio is 0.78. Maybe Fiat did raise the gear for 1100 engine, but I can't confirm it.

Sutjeska

BTW: greetings from Panda and Marbella Club Poland. I'm a member of this club and have two Pandas: 1997 4x4 1100 (ex-police car) and 1993 1000 Fire Bluebay. And I'm driving Pandas since 1993. And this is site of our club

http://www.panda.fiat.prv.pl/

Are you sure the fifth gear ratio is 0.73? In german manual for 4x4 1000 the ratio is 0.78. Maybe Fiat did raise the gear for 1100 engine, but I can't confirm it.

Hi Sutjeska, the UK owners manual says 0.73, the UK workshop manual says 0.78. Looks like the only way to know for sure is to take a gearbox to bits and start counting teeth. I'd guess that one of them is a typing mistake (3 or 8) that got past the proof readers. cheers Damon

Hi Damon

Problem is that in 4x4 Pandas produced to 1986 (with OHV engine) fifth gear was 0.73 for sure, and in 4x4 with 1000 Fire engine was 0.78. It is possible that when Fiat took 1100 Fire to 4x4, it raised that ratio again to give it more mph.
But it is very difficult to find data for 4x4 1100. The only place I found anything was in "carfolio.com", and there were 0.73. I'd like to confirm it somewhere.
Pandas are rare in Poland, and 4x4 Pandas are very, very rare, so we have problems with data and materials about it. I know of about only 20 4x4 in Poland, and I think there are no more than one hundred in the whole.

Best regards
Sutjeska

BTW: I have the same Burago model as you have in your avatar:) . I bought it in Car Museum in Ramsgate, Kent in 1996, when I was in UK.

Sadly Fiat stoped selling Panda's in the uk at the start of 95 so we never got the 1100 4x4's ( or manual 1100 4x2's):cry:

As far as i am aware, Alan's is the standard 999cc block... he keeps mentioning keeping it reasonably standard. the Selecta is a 1108cc engine however... Someone had mentioned a while back that the selecta was the only 1.1 panda ever sold in the UK.

It's a pity you don't have 1100 4x4 in the UK. But it's also strange, becouse Fiat started selling it in other countries in 1991, and until 1996 produced 1000 and 1100 4x4 simultaneusly.
My 1100 is great fun, especially in traffic lights sprints in Warsaw. Thanks to 55 HP, low weight and low ratios, it's one of the fastest cars up to 50 mph. But it's difficult not to spin front wheels on first gear, and on the wet it's almost impossible, so on the wet I usually start on second gear.
And the best thing is to look at the faces of other drivers, especially in Calibras:D

Best wishes from Poland
Sutjeska

Greetings from Finland!

I'm also doing some research on Panda (Mk3) 4x4 gear ratios, that's why re-using this thread, however aiming at going just the other way around.

I have tried to find gear ratios of Panda 4x4 Multijet (diesel) vs. MPI (petrol) with no success. Is there any difference between them? Any idea?

There reason here is to find a way to make 4x4 Multijet (diesel) final gear slower. The preliminary idea is to swap a gearbox from a petrol variant to diesel one, in order to make all the gear ratios of diesel car slower than stock. The project is also a certain type of racing car, however the priority is in off-road usage instead of top speed. As diesel operates in lower revs, very often petrol variants of cars have slower final gear ratios, that's where this idea came from. Whether or not this is the case with Panda 4x4, that's what I'm trying find out.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Back