General Panda 100hp brakes and CD player question

Currently reading:
General Panda 100hp brakes and CD player question

Mon

Hi, I have just traded in my Punto HGT for a 56 plate Panda 100hp and I am finding it difficult to get used to. I find the brakes tend to grab, particularly at low speed which can be a bit embarrassing when I nearly fling my passenger through the window at a junction. Is this a common problem with the 100hp and is there a fix?
Also, I believe that the CD player on the 100hp is also an mp3 player? For some reason I don't seem to be able to get it to play the mp3 cds that I have created. Now it could be that the discs I have made have not been done properly (I'm an oldie, who isn't too hot on technology), but I am wondering if my car has the wrong CD player fitted (ie a lesser model without mp3)? The model number according to the Fiat audio system passport that came with my car (the card with the system code on it) lists the model as 169CD SB05. Could any of you fellow 100hp owners who have been able to play mp3 on their system, please check your card to see if you have a different model number to me.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

I'll start with the brakes.

They do tend to be grabby and a bit over servo'd, they take a bit of getting used to but you learn to get on with them. They only seem to be a problem a low speed and after over a year of ownership I still sometime get it wrong and nearly end up with my face in the windscreen lol

As for the MP3 CD player mines is an '07' 2007 model and does not have an MP3 CD player. On the unit itself it should have MP3 on it if it has this feature. I think after a certain build date it became standard.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
As for the MP3 CD player mines is an '07' 2007 model and does not have an MP3 CD player. On the unit itself it should have MP3 on it if it has this feature. I think after a certain build date it became standard.

Hope this helps!

I believe this was an update on the red badged vehicle.

:) yes the brakes can catch you out, 07 plate with 15000 miles.
still occasional get triplex stamped on my forehead. :p
mine is a blue badge and it has the mp3 unit, which i binned, unit would get hot and cds froze and would not eject.
local fiat dealer about as usefull as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest. :(
replaced with a kenwood head unit with usb port, 8gb memory stick and jobs a good un........................(y)

Hi, I have just traded in my Punto HGT for a 56 plate Panda 100hp and I am finding it difficult to get used to. I find the brakes tend to grab, particularly at low speed which can be a bit embarrassing when I nearly fling my passenger through the window at a junction. Is this a common problem with the 100hp and is there a fix?
Also, I believe that the CD player on the 100hp is also an mp3 player? For some reason I don't seem to be able to get it to play the mp3 cds that I have created. Now it could be that the discs I have made have not been done properly (I'm an oldie, who isn't too hot on technology), but I am wondering if my car has the wrong CD player fitted (ie a lesser model without mp3)? The model number according to the Fiat audio system passport that came with my car (the card with the system code on it) lists the model as 169CD SB05. Could any of you fellow 100hp owners who have been able to play mp3 on their system, please check your card to see if you have a different model number to me.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Brakes - the 08 demonstrator that I tried had very sudden brake response at low speed but glad to say that the 58-plate I bought last October has the later servo that is much more progressive at low speeds. Also has MP3 player.

Brakes grab - you do eventually get used to it.

MP3 - if you're using Vista to burn MP3 CD's makes sure you select the 'mastered' format, which means you add all the files to a holding area then burn them all in one go. This will work fine in the headunit.

If you use the Live File System format (which Vista defaults to) that allows you to add/remove files one by one as you go, these CDs won't work in the head unit. Don't know why - they just don't!

HTH,

Ben

If it hasn't got mp3 written on the front it's not going to play them, as it's a 56 odds on it won't.

Mine was built December 2006, reg 07, and didn't have it originally.

Sounds like your best bet is to connect an auxillary input and just use a media player.

Brakes are way over-servoed. This seems to have improved on 2008 on cars. I have a 58 100hp and it's far better than my MJ was. Also had a 1.4 500 as a loan car and that had the same stupidly over-servoed brakes.

Sounds like your best bet is to connect an auxillary input and just use a media player.

Won't work if it's not an MP3 model - Pressing 'CD' twice doesn't enter 'Aux' mode... :(

The 169CD Blaupunkt was fitted till around March 2007 - The 169 C1V2 MP3 thereafter...

Look identical - Bar the little 'MP3' logo below the CD slot.

I was in the same boat, with a Jan 2007 car - Missed out on the MP3 unit by 2 months...

...but they do come up for sale secondhand / on ebay, from time to time - I paid £30 for a mint MP3 unit, and sold my non-MP3 unit for £35... :D

Thanks for your replies. There is no mp3 symbol on my player, so it looks like my time spent converting my CDs to an mp3 disc was a waste of time....Doh!!!
I'll keep an eye out on ebay for a later mp3 model.

Hopefully I'll get used to the brake grab, but until I do I'll keep apologising to my passengers when they head butt the windscreen....

Thanks again,

Simon

Won't work if it's not an MP3 model - Pressing 'CD' twice doesn't enter 'Aux' mode... :(

The 169CD Blaupunkt was fitted till around March 2007 - The 169 C1V2 MP3 thereafter...

Look identical - Bar the little 'MP3' logo below the CD slot.

I was in the same boat, with a Jan 2007 car - Missed out on the MP3 unit by 2 months...

...but they do come up for sale secondhand / on ebay, from time to time - I paid £30 for a mint MP3 unit, and sold my non-MP3 unit for £35... :D

I have just bought a C1V2 MP3 unit from Italian eBay and it now does indeed have the MP3 logo on and it plays MP3s on CD - but that's not why I bought it. I want to hook up an MP3-play 3.5mm fly-lead into the yellow AUX connector in the back. But my new unit STILL doesn't give me AUX when the CD button is pressed twice, despite connecting the new yellow-plugged fly-lead correctly.

Any ideas? Posted elsewhere too, so apologies for duplication, but frustration overtaking me now.....

Thanks,

Phil G

Low speed braking is awful. Very difficult to get it right, and I find I'm either giving it too much or too little. I wonder if, as Fiat have changed the servo that they would consider a claim for the new one on safety grounds? Unlikely I suppose. I think this is the worst aspect of the car.

Low speed braking is awful. Very difficult to get it right, and I find I'm either giving it too much or too little. I wonder if, as Fiat have changed the servo that they would consider a claim for the new one on safety grounds? Unlikely I suppose. I think this is the worst aspect of the car.

Why manufacturers think more servo assistance you need is a good thing, is beyond me. I think this seemed to derive from German cars which seem to have started the trend for over-servoed brakes. For some reason those without a danny think that the less pressure required means better brakes, when of course it doesn't.

This seems to be one of the bug bears of many new cars. Try an Elise which has no servo and revel in the feel that you get.

Why manufacturers think more servo assistance you need is a good thing, is beyond me. I think this seemed to derive from German cars which seem to have started the trend for over-servoed brakes. For some reason those without a danny think that the less pressure required means better brakes, when of course it doesn't.

This seems to be one of the bug bears of many new cars. Try an Elise which has no servo and revel in the feel that you get.

Yes - and the same but more so applies to assisted steering - unnecessary on a small car - removes feedback and adds complication, weight and expense, while inevitably combined with steering geometry that's buggered up and tears the tyres to shreds for the sake of adding weight to the steering.

Back