General Pand Cross 4X4 creaking at rear offside

Currently reading:
General Pand Cross 4X4 creaking at rear offside

Posting this just for interest to anyone else with this problem: This week I noticed a pronounced creaking noise from the rear offside wheel area of my Cross. This could be heard whilst traveling but was very noticeable when getting in and out of the car. Pressing down on the rear bumper also created the creaking sound.
I presumed it was a suspension issue and took the car to my local garage today and had them check it.....
Turned out that the handbrake cable had jumped out of its holding clip and was rubbing against the wheel. This would have seriously worn the cable if left unchecked. The garage guys put tape round the cable to create a tighter grip in the holding clip and added a tie for good measure. They did this on the nearside too, just as a precaution.
Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue (y)

Posting this just for interest to anyone else with this problem: This week I noticed a pronounced creaking noise from the rear offside wheel area of my Cross. This could be heard whilst traveling but was very noticeable when getting in and out of the car. Pressing down on the rear bumper also created the creaking sound.
I presumed it was a suspension issue and took the car to my local garage today and had them check it.....
Turned out that the handbrake cable had jumped out of its holding clip and was rubbing against the wheel. This would have seriously worn the cable if left unchecked. The garage guys put tape round the cable to create a tighter grip in the holding clip and added a tie for good measure. They did this on the nearside too, just as a precaution.
Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue (y)

Someone else asked this a few days ago.

It sounds like the rear brake moving slightly. Try doing it with and without the handbrake on. Ours creaks noticeably as we have a sloping driveway.

Yes, that was another thought of mine (apart from suspension) but no; most definitely the handbrake cable. You could see where it had been chaffing as the suspension moved up and down.

Back