Technical P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range

Currently reading:
Technical P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range

Have had the dreaded code and fault light sinse August last year. Engine has been running fine, no limp mode misfires or performance problems at all. Sòoooooo I took the dash apart and flicked the led bulb out! No warning light now.... passed it's MOT fine, no advisories, just hope it stays good.

I recently did a search for the cheapest throttle bodies for the 3 litre 160 and I found a delivered price of £204 for the Wahler and £182 for the later pierburg and adapter cable. These are massively cheaper than dealers and much cheaper than ebay offerings

Last edited:
They both give discount if you don't buy straight away after putting in basket. Wait for the email. Shipping is £8 per order

Example
Position Article № Description of the product Amount Price per unit GBP Total price in GBP
1. 4.07360.49.0 Adapter Cable, air supply control flap 1 39,98 39,98
2. 7.01754.10.0 Control Flap, air supply 1 143,98 143,98
Subtotal: £183,96
Delivery: £8,00
excluding voucher value £9,20
incl. 20% VAT £30,46

Total amount: £182,76

Last edited:
Mine arrived on Friday by UPS. I've gone for the later model
CA_06141513452130-X2.jpg

hi techno great threads by the way what was the reason you changed your throttle actuator was it engine management light coming on as mine has do you think it is water ingress . thanks

Last edited:
hi techno great threads by the way what was the reason you changed your throttle actuator was it engine management light coming on as mine has do you think it is water ingress . thanks

Yes ingress again raising the check engine warning.
CA_06151512082252-X2.jpg

All fine now with later body. On my way to France just now :cool:

I think since cleaning off the rust it would probably clear the fault so I've kept it as a spare. The Pierburg is the better option though and cheaper even with the cable.

thanks for that techno 100 me thinks that's the route I will follow can I manage if I leave the slam panel on . don't need to say enjoy your trip because like you m/homing abroad is a whole different world drive safely
thumb.gif

I managed to remove the wahler one some months ago without but I doubt you could put it back on without removing the slam panel
The Pierburg is even more difficult and I needed a 13mm socket on a quarter drive extension anything else is too big for one of the bolts at least.
Save yourself the grief and strip the front off it doesn't take so long when you've done it before
Battery drill and torx bit speeds it up

hi techno 100. don't want to be a nuisance on you trip but been trying
banghead.gif
to log on to buycarparts & have ended up with 6 new passwords & still cant log on did you log in ok ? only I am trying to buy the part . thanks

hi just managed to log in thanks have you had a remapped we did in 09 as its a 08 160bhp same as yours but on a tag I was getting 19mpg now we get 23mpg roughly more at 65mph on spains m/ways on the flat up hill 11mpg LOL
thumb_down.gif
so if I stop all the crap going into the intake blocking the EGR valve would I get better mpg thanks . p.s just been looking euro 142 today have a good one
cool.gif

hi just managed to log in thanks have you had a remapped we did in 09 as its a 08 160bhp same as yours but on a tag I was getting 19mpg now we get 23mpg roughly more at 65mph on spains m/ways on the flat up hill 11mpg LOL
thumb_down.gif
so if I stop all the crap going into the intake blocking the EGR valve would I get better mpg thanks . p.s just been looking euro 142 today have a good one
cool.gif
Wide open throttle with a remap at 2700-3000rpm would be about 90mg/stroke or a litre of diesel every three minutes so 11mpg sounds about right. If you want better economy you need to be prepared to slow down and drive at a lower rpm. EGR should be closed at open throttle so I doubt you'll see any change at that end unless it's stuck open.

thumb_down.gif
cool.gif
confused.gif
hi sorry people. I had a senior moment should have been 56mph not 65mph x trucker you see so don't mind plodding along cant afford to drive fast as I am a O.A.P . thanks

hi all. well I took my throttle actuator off today & its the same as techno 100's water ingress partly seized up ordered a new one coming next week like the man said you have to take the grill & cross member off to get to the bottom 2 bolts plus my intake has a lot of gunk inside any ideas without taking it off to clean it & what with also this is for techno 100 my next job will be the egr valve is it better to leave the slam panel off & will I need to get underneath to undo any bolts to side the blanking plate I am still trying to put the photo evidence on here will if I can its a very bad design that let water in also does the new throttle need protecting from water . thanks guys

Back