Technical p0101 fault fiat grande punto 1.4 active sport 06 plate

Currently reading:
Technical p0101 fault fiat grande punto 1.4 active sport 06 plate

ryan789

Hi my fiat grande punto cut out on me driving home with the engine management light coming on with the fault code p0101, I taken it to a garage where my breather hose and the smaller hose was replaced and the hoses cleaned. Then was advised to take it to a fiat garage because they should be able to find the problem. Since being in there for just under a week now they have changed the related sensors and the throttle body neither of that being the problem and am begin to worry about my bill and I was just what it could actually be because all they tell me is that it can be a number faults.

Symptoms before it breaking down was when taken foot of the accelerator it would shudder a lot. Then when it breaks down the engine just cuts out straight and the engine management light comes on. Then I just turn it off and back on and drives ok. It looks to me like it and electrical problem because the engine cutting out like that.

I have the exact same fault coming up now.

Consistantly getting P0105 - pressure sensor which will show "short circuit at V+ batt" but will say "Plausable" if i Disconnect the MAF sensor on the side of the manifold.

Once i start driving it can do about 2-300yards before the engine light flashes and I get a P0101 code and the engine loses all power till cut out.
Switching car off and back on resolves this but it persistantly comes back as expected.

This is a long shot with the post being from a few years ago but did you get it sorted? or can anyone advise?

Thanks

Is it a diesel or a petrol car? Also like varesecrazy said check the earths from battery and also cable into the sensor.

Diesel gp's have a maf and a map sensor, petrol only have a map sensor (between bulk head an dipstick). The top one on the petrol is a atmosphere pressure sensor.

Sensor maybe faulty. So I wires/earths are fine then discount the map sensor (if petrol) and have a test run. It will run rough/rich.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

My car is also a 1.4 8v Active sport (56 plate)
This problem occurred over night on my way to work, and no work has been done to it in over a year (replaced a crank position sensor). The Earths are clean and ok.

Here is a description i hope its not to long:
I have bought both a MAF and the atmosphere pressure sensor for testing and i already have a spare throttle body.

Scenario 1
With both sensors plugged in (new or old) I commonly get P0105 - Pressure Sensor, this is given with the message "short circuit at V+ batt" and will appear with the engine turned off.

Scenario 2
If i then disconnect the MAF sensor I get a code for air temperature (expected) but the P0105 code is then displayed with the message "Plausible".

Scenario 3
If i disconnect the atmosphere pressure sensor (MAF plugged in) I get the P0105 with Short Circuit and another code for the atmosphere pressure sensor being removed (expected).

Scenario 4
If i use Scenario 1 setup (all plugged in) and go for a drive it will throw up P0101 after a few hundred yards... presumably straight away as the fault needs to persist for 4-5seconds to show.
but this only happens under load not while neutral the car revs and idles fine.

I wiring to the sensors look fine after taking them out of there plastic sleeve, but i am borrowing a multi meter tomorrow, I will need to find the expected voltages.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

The petrol doesn't have a maf only a map.

Where did you get the new sensor from? Also have you tried the spare throttle body to see if this fixes the issue?

Check the wire from the battery had it could be this end that's corroded

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant MAP instead of MAF.

I have changed the throttle body and re-learnt the position but no change.

Battery connections are fine and clean, I checked them about a month ago.

They are just cheap ones for testing that can be returned.

What appears strange is that when i disconnect either sensor the ecu picks up on this with a relivent code being thrown. So what can be the matter?
I will attach a screenshot tomorrow of my issues taken from MES.

Thanks

It's ok I keep doing the same with the map/maf.

Try the following:

Put the original sensors back on
Clear the faults
Test drive the car

If it runs alright, then its just throwing the old fault up (this more than likely won't work)

After this send the replacement parts back. An look at the map sensor and you'll see a name and code. You will need the same one. Cheap map sensors don't work with the gp (so been informed). You will need a oem one.

Get this new map sensor (keep the original atmosphere sensor plugged in) and connect it to the car. Clear the faults. After start up give it a run. You may have to clear the fault again as the ecu has to learn its a new sensor.

The old sensor could have gone and because using a cheap sensor car is still displaying same message.

You can get oem sensor from https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=16&secondary=131&opts=1152 don't know why there is a 3 pin and 4 pin one.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay.

I put the original MAP and atmosphere pressure sensor back in and then I remembered that my girlfriend recently bought a new Fiat 500 1.2 which would no doubt have the MAP sensor i was looking for (y)

I managed to persuade her to let me borrow it for ten minutes.
Fitted the sensor, cleared the codes and then ran the car at idle until up to temperature.
I gave it a few revs and then took it for a spin down the road and back.
Not one peep from the car but still I checked for codes when i got back in case there was any problems that didn't show the engine light - nothing :)

Will get a new (genuine) sensor ordered and give an update for anyone else looking to solve a similar problem.

I did notice the car felt a little more sluggish or unresponsive with acceleration... could this just be a relearning phase after changing the throttle body and I'd cleared all its learnt settings?

Thanks very much for the help
biggrin.gif
Hopefully this will solve it.

That more than likely will work.

Has for being sluggish this may be down to ecu needs to relearn the sensors. If carry's on then may have a air leak (you'd notice this, as you'd more than likely hear it). If its not that try and ask your gf can you lend the throttle body (if not got spare oem one) and see if this makes any improvements.

You may notice the fuel economy goes up due to the car will be getting the correct air/fuel mixture.

Last edited:
Hey,

So i have a proper bosch map sensor now, And also swapped the throttle body back and relearnt.

Can seem to start and run fine, Took it for a longer drive and it was fine... then as i am about to pull into my road the car cut out. I restarted the car and the mil light came on and it was running rough with an idle of about 1500rpm. i tried taking off but with my foot to the floor the rev never went above 2k!

Turned it off and waited a minute and then restarted for it to be fine. I check the code and it was P0657 - actuator supply voltage open. :/

Anyway i took it for another 5 min spin and never had any problems. going to take it out down the motorway later force any issues out.

If still having issues afterwards check the earths on the car. Specially the battery one.

The car wont go past 2k rpm due to it went into limp mode (cars ecu detected a fault and limited the system to prevent any further damage)

Last edited:
The car wont go past 2k rpm due to it went into limp mode (cars ecu detected a fault and limited the system to prevent any further damage)

I thought this may have been the case but I wasn't sure if the Punto had a limp mode Thanks.

If still having issues afterwards check the earths on the car. Specially the battery one.

So before i took it out again I checked the earths and all seem fine including the one direct from the battery to by the clutch :)

I took the car for a 22mile drive, though traffic lights and up onto the motorway and its safe to say I blew any cobwebs out. It didn't miss a beat :confused: which is a good thing but it makes me a little nervous, why would it just throw up such a specific code that i have never seen before.

One thing i did notice was the revs would drop as low as 600rpm if i dipped the clutch and coasted up to any lights or a junction, which i have a tendency to do. It would soon come back to 800-1000rpm for idle though.
so without putting words in your mouth, I was wondering IF because it is a new sensor AND I have just changed the throttle body, that the revs have dropped so low (while i had the clutch in) the car has stalled.
I have then flicked the ignition off and on so quick to restart the car it has thrown up a false code (P0657) and put the car in limp mode... would limp mode cause at rough high idle though?

Thank you again for all the help.

Not sure if gp as limp mode but I would imagine its something on them lines. Rough idle is not usually something limp mode will do (don't think).

Because the car has had sensors changed and you've cleared what the ecu knows about the throttle body, it may take a while for the ecu to work things out. Just see how things go and hopefully all should be good.

Last edited:
Back