Technical Oil leak and rear light issues

Currently reading:
Technical Oil leak and rear light issues

Hugo1970500

Hi, just joined the group having bought my first classic car (1970 fiat 500L) :).
Having got it home it seems to have a slight oil leak (see image) just after some advice on how to solve and if it’s a major issue. I contacted the person who I bought it off and he said it was between the gearbox and the engine. He has replaced the gasket numerous times but the leak has always been present.
Just wondering what the thoughts on this is and if it’s an easy fix ?

I also have a slight issue where I turn the lights switch on but the rear lights and number play light doesn’t turn on (however brake lights still work). Any ideas where to start looking ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 53D0CD25-2F20-4A21-9950-A986E361A120.jpeg
    53D0CD25-2F20-4A21-9950-A986E361A120.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • 58DE9523-01B5-4064-948B-E0E9AEA8D050.jpeg
    58DE9523-01B5-4064-948B-E0E9AEA8D050.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
Hi, just joined the group having bought my first classic car (1970 fiat 500L) :).
Having got it home it seems to have a slight oil leak (see image) just after some advice on how to solve and if it’s a major issue. I contacted the person who I bought it off and he said it was between the gearbox and the engine. He has replaced the gasket numerous times but the leak has always been present.
Just wondering what the thoughts on this is and if it’s an easy fix ?

I also have a slight issue where I turn the lights switch on but the rear lights and number play light doesn’t turn on (however brake lights still work). Any ideas where to start looking ?

Thanks
If the oil leak IS between the engine and the gearbox, it will be an 'engine out' job. There is a seal and bush that the spigot shaft comes through at the very front of the gearbox. They are in a small housing---getting the seal out can be a bit of a bitch, it is much easier to buy the housing complete with the bush and seal already installed---not an expensive part. At the flywheel end of the crankshaft (technically "the back" of the engine) the bearing has a seal in it and there is either a 'O' ring seal between the bearing and the crankcase OR a thin gasket---depends on the bearing, but NOT both.
With the engine out and the clutch and flywheel removed, the bearing CAN be extracted without having to strip the engine---renew seal and gasket/or/'O' ring and then CAREFULLY refit the bearing with lots of lubricant. If there has been a significant leak in the area between the engine and gearbox, for what it costs, I would suggest that a new clutch centre-plate is fitted and the contact areas on the flywheel and pressure-plate carefully cleaned andgone over with some medium emery-cloth/wet'n dry

Back