Technical Oil heat exchanger

Currently reading:
Technical Oil heat exchanger

theonlynapsta

I am the proud owner of a 2006 Siena 1.7TD (like the Palio or Weekend... but this is the sedan version of the model 178). Sold in South America, Eastern Europe (as the Petra) and South Africa.

It has done 200 000km (or about 120 000ml) and still going like the first day.

The car in superb condition.

I have recently noticed the heat going up a little bit when I hit an incline or uphill.

The thermostat, pipes, gasket, etc is fine. No issues with the water flow and the thermostat is working just fine.

The engine was redone at 150 000km due to a blown head gasket. Since then everything is superb.

I have surfed the web and come across a lot of talk about oil coolers. Some cars have a system where the coolant runs through a radiator that cool cools the engine oil... a kind of a coolant/oil radiator if you want.

Mine fortunately only carries oil and I suspect it might be clogged up over the 11 odd years I have run her.

I thought of flushing the little oil cooler, but have been getting conflicting suggestions about what to use. From diesel, petrol, thinners to even vinegar. I feel the residue it will leave will eventually go back into my engine and I don’t want to fix her again :(

There is also the risk of missing a spot where the flow is low or it is so clogged up, it will just keep on restricting flow and the oil won’t pass quick enough to cool down properly.

So here’s my question:

1. Does anyone know if there is a sensor/thermostat that regulates oil flow to the cooler? I cannot find one.
2. Is it safe to flush the cooler?
3. What is the safest solvent to use?
4. Is it better to just replace the whole unit? (cooler, pipes and all)

Thank you very much.
Hugo

Ps: here are pictures of what the 1.9D’s oil heat exchanger looks like. Although a different model, it looks exactly the same.

IMG_6086.JPG

IMG_6087.JPG

Back