Technical Oil Filter Insert

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Filter Insert

brillo21

I have a Fiat Panda 169 Multijet 2005, while changing the oil and Filter when I removed the Filter housing {Purflux} the paper filter fell out of the top housing (the plastic part with the 27mm Hex).

I noticed that there was an insert in the top of the paper filter which fitted inside the raised clips on the top of the filter, it had a raised ring that should clip into the afore mentioned screw on cap I managed to remove this insert but it is badly damaged (part of the raised ring is missing)

I need to replace this part but can not find a part number anywhere

Can anyone help so I can get the car back on the road, any help much appreciated

I think the part number is 73500070, but do double check before purchasing.
Hi

Thank you very much for your message, the part number you have quoted appears to be the actual cap with the 27mm Hex on the top, I have explained myself badly, the part I require fits inside 73500070, it is a plastic sort of castle arrangement that has a spring between it and the inside clipped top of 73500070, it also clips into the top of the paper filter element.

The filter is 73500049 and is for the Purflux housing, the filter comes with a sealing ring but not the inset that aligns it into the 73500070.

The part I require is plastic and appears to have become brittle due to the heat as several parts have broken off, the part of the "Castle" that fits into the top of the filter is a flat round plate with a hole in the centre with upstands around the perimeter that hold the ring that clips into the inside of 73500070

My apologies if I am being unclear

I thought the filter connected directly to the cap. All mine are EFI type now, so can't check. Sorry.

Attachments

• thumb.jpeg
    thumb.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 26
I thought the filter connected directly to the cap. All mine are EFI type now, so can't check. Sorry.
Hi

Thank you for the image, the inside of my Cap looks like a smaller version of the top of the filter element, a ring of tabs that the "castle" type item clips into with a loose spring in the centre, which I assume is the spring to control the bypass system when the oil is cold and the oil goes straight back to the the engine rather than pass through the filter

It's part of the cap that's broken off

The other type has the bypass valve clipped into the top

Fiat didn't supply seperately so no part number

Last edited:
It's part of the cap that's broken off

The other type has the bypass valve clipped into the top

Fiat didn't supply seperately so no part number
The inside of my cap does not look the same as the image very kindly provided by "IRC" would that image be of the cap that uses the 71765464 filter element, when I look up the 73500070 all images are of the outside I can not find any images of the inside

The inside of my cap does not look the same as the image very kindly provided by "IRC" would that image be of the cap that uses the 71765464 filter element, when I look up the 73500070 all images are of the outside I can not find any images of the inside
There's two types of cap

Yours should have a oil pressure relief valve clipped into the top

It's quite common for them to snap and fall apart

Two types were fitted the caps and filters are different

This is a similar cap for a different engine

Screenshot_20230509_094113.jpg

There's two types of cap

Yours should have a oil pressure relief valve clipped into the top

It's quite common for them to snap and fall apart

Two types were fitted the caps and filters are different

This is a similar cap for a different engine

View attachment 422521
Hi

Yes that is very similar to the arrangement in my car, its the raised part on the item in the right of the image that has broken off, so I can replace the whole cap which is good news however, do you know if the part number 73500070 is correct for the pictured type or is that part number for the item image that "IRC" kindly supplied. your help much appreciated

Hi

Yes that is very similar to the arrangement in my car, its the raised part on the item in the right of the image that has broken off, so I can replace the whole cap which is good news however, do you know if the part number 73500070 is correct for the pictured type or is that part number for the item image that "IRC" kindly supplied. your help much appreciated
All correct

However I can guarantee you will receive the wrong part from some online suppliers. I have already spot some wrong or misleading ebay listings

If you have a local motor factor you could ring them up with the part number and take the old part to compare

When I bought an oil filter from my local factors they used my car's registration number yet still came out with two filters. I bought both and returned the one that wasn't suitable. It shows their systems are not "that" good.

Being as the OP has parts failing due to age, it would make sense to replace the whole filter/cooler assembly.

Fiat Part number 73500434

OMG Nearly £100 to replace a plastic clip? Yes but its cheaper than something like the pressure relief falling apart and losing oil pressure.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
All correct

However I can guarantee you will receive the wrong part from some online suppliers. I have already spot some wrong or misleading ebay listings

If you have a local motor factor you could ring them up with the part number and take the old part to compare
I have contacted a local motor factor and they have one in stock, whether it is the correct part or not remains to be seen, I will try to get to them to inspect the item on my way home if I am early enough.

Thanks again for your help, I will post how I get on.

Thanks for all the advice, seems parts suppliers are as suggested, they can not tell the difference between the two types the one supposedly "in Stock" was the incorrect type but listed as the one I required.

I have now sourced one by getting the supplier to send me a photograph of the inside of the Oil filter cap they could supply and ordered that.

It fitted perfectly and the car is now running as sweet as it was before, I did not want to replace the whole Oil Cooler Christmas tree if that could be avoided and I am satisfied that the oil cooler is still working correctly.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in

Best regards

Cool

Well done on sorting it

Online suppliers have fail a few times these last few weeks

Two parts bought as a kit that should clip together didn't

And Febi now manufacture a rear bumpstop that turns an easy job into a nigbtmare

I have had the wrong timing chain from euro car parts

Most listing for head gasket kits on ebay are wrong. It's not the same kit 2003-2012

I am lucky having several motor factors local to me. But you do have to phone first. The price quoted at the counter is dearer than if you phone

Back