General NZ Bambinas

Currently reading:
General NZ Bambinas

timgarman

Established member
Following on from the comment from BigV on Spike's thread, I'm just wondering what differences there are between the NZ Bambinas and the European ones?

I'm aware that mine has a plywood base to the rear seat – I think that's an NZ feature. Also the Bambina badge.

Anything else?

Hey Tim, I have a '73 500F here in NZ. By this time they were imported fully built up from Italy with RHD. I just sold my NZ Bambina F but there wasn't a lot of obvious differences between the two that I have noticed so far.
The '73 has rubber floor covering. Did all European cars have this? The NZ assembled cars all had carpet as far as I know.
No "Bambina" badges on the '73 as you'd expect.
I have heard people say that the later imported cars were made of better quality steel and of the two that I've seen (including my car) that seems like a possibility. My car has by no means had an easy life but rust doesn't seem to be as big of an issue as seen with the earlier NZ cars. This comparison could of course be similar between earlier and later F cars in Europe.
I'll keep an eye out for other differences as I go. Much of the NZ content would have been made up of glass, rubber, upholstery and labour I'd say...and badges:D

Attachments

• IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
Thanks Andrew. I'm in Wanganui and have a 1966 F. Just trying to source my third Bambina badge, having lost two in quick succession recently.

Interested to hear from the Northern hemisphere, especially any that have experience of both sides of the world or might have imported?

Thanks Andrew. I'm in Wanganui and have a 1966 F. Just trying to source my third Bambina badge, having lost two in quick succession recently

Just realised my Bambina Imported across the tasman should probably have that badge. Ah well, it’s a beauty even without. Sadly the front centre emblem was also missing, apparently the original aluminium ones are quite valuable. Sad to think someone would nick one.

yes since discovering these Bambinas were not made n Europe I have wondered about the differences...
the Alloy front badge center is interesting as they are very rare in Europe.. and only found on N/D cars where the front badge is a 3 piece affair rather than the later one piece plastic one... Could some of the tooling have been shipped there to make them!!

I believe the glass was local too so presume it's not Sigla?
(and I want a Bambina badge or even both) once in possession I am sure i could get them remade as well...

Just realised my Bambina Imported across the tasman should probably have that badge. Ah well, it’s a beauty even without. Sadly the front centre emblem was also missing, apparently the original aluminium ones are quite valuable. Sad to think someone would nick one.

The Bambina name and badge was devised for the release of the 500F in 1965 so you aren't missing the badges.
What year is your car? NZ assembly only started in 1960 so cars earlier than that were imported built up. I think these cars probably had the 3 piece emblem. NZ 500D cars look to have a plastic emblem like the one in the photo. *edit I've just looked up the year of you car (1963) so that blows that theory*

Peter - I'm still on the lookout for a badge for you. If Tim keeps getting them nicked they are going to get hard to find:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 438051506.jpg
    438051506.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 26
Peter - I'm still on the lookout for a badge for you. If Tim keeps getting them nicked they are going to get hard to find:rolleyes:

If Tim keeps stockpiling the Bambina Badges.... I may become a moderator and block him from posting:devil::devil::devil:

really need to get more of you guys from Down under on here....

N/Ds had three piece badges, by all accounts the alloy center piece was an "optional Extra".... and highly prized...

Last edited:
The Bambina name and badge was devised for the release of the 500F in 1965 so you aren't missing the badges.:

Ah that makes sense as there are no identifiable holes that it could go into. I sought out an original centre piece and they are available but many $! Sadly it’s the plastic repro for me, together with the original metal wings

phewwww.....
bloody horrible repros that have been cast from a plastic one and plated by the looks of it...

though you had discovered some NOS originals like these..
the center is pressed from thin alloy and the mustache pieces are simple cast alloy...
like the rest of the alloy on early cars, with a sort of dull shine...

Last edited:
Back