General Not giving up.

Currently reading:
General Not giving up.

IMG_1616.JPG

Didnt actually pay to hire this, managed to borrow one for a favour.

IMG_16181.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_16211.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

So as you all can see the engine is out and on the stand (my shiny new toy).
Gearbox is scrap. The holes on the gearbox for the mount have been sheared off.
Engine itself is visually fine. Might get the bottom end balanced to check if its been damaged at all, the clutch plate wasnt bent at all or the flywheel damaged.

The gearbox mounts took all the force and twisted the engine. The rear mount is still attachted to the gearbox. However its been badly twisted and bent one side clean off.
Where it bolts to the floor has simply slipped out, not even snapped or damaged.
The farside engine mount; only the bolt was bent, not twisted the mount or heavily damaged.
So looks like the engine was twisted and snapped or bent the mounts. So inital thoughts are that the engine should be ok.

Pirus

No updates as yet, taking it easy and getting some paper work done that ive been neglecting.
By the end of the month though ill start on the car again, chopping the front off completely first, everything from the battery tray forwards.

Then ill be looking for a new shell, going to get myself a decent running car, going to have to pay for it though, want something decent to look after and wont try offroading again.
Next car will have a cage, buckets and six point harnesses, might even seam weld the engine bay as well. Car will be running an aftermarket management system straight away, probably MS2.
Also will probably be running coilovers but am still unsure what to run, hearing mixed things about FK coilys. Someone is trying to persuade me to get a custom set of Gaz's made though. Messaged Gaz and they said theyd do it for approx £300 for the front pair and a small charge to make up some rears.

Just the cost and thinking how much i want to spend on my hobby, it'll all be worth it in the end though :)
Nothing above is me being a dreamer either, itll be done.

The dream would be to get the new car up and running for Trax on the 2nd September this year.
So watch this space.

Pirus

oh thats devastating mate really feel sorry for you. really admire that youre getting up and on with things are you getting another sei?

lol just read the bit about getting another one. sorry

Boring paper work out of the way for now but been busy working/away.
Got a bit of time off so thought id crack on, thought i best make the most of the sunny weather.
Today's plan was to disassemble the front near side. Get the wheel, hub, strut, and calipers off.

Got the wheel off after ripping off part of the sideskirt and a few good kicks, swearing (this always seems to help) it came off.

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

Yeh its buggered. Going to get the other 3 put on a balancer and see if they are bent or hopefully aren't. If none of the others are badly bent i'll probably go on the hunt for another. If the front two are no good, then on the new project i might have the fronts as Superturismo's and the rears as Abarths. Drifting style.

IMG_1664.JPG

What's left of the strontflex gearbox mount. The whole bracket was hanging off the gearbox anyway. No idea where the rest of the mount has gone.

IMG_1675.JPG

The hub nut needed a little persuasion before it came off.
Removed the hub and driveshaft.
Then set about taking off what was left of the wishbone.

IMG_1671.JPG

Sheared clean in half. Brand new wishbone. Bushes are still good on it though, even though they have a few bits shaved off them due to how the everything bent around them.

IMG_1668.JPG

Thought it would be easier to remove both the doors to allow access in the car and more crap gotten rid of.

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

Removed the steering wheel and looked at the instruments. Was quite surprised.
Nearly indicated 80 standing still and over quater of a tank. :)

Removed the ARB and took off the wishbones. The bushes that attacth to the wishbone on the edges; one has had had it. Its split in two due to shearing metal.
The ARB doesnt look too bad though, doesnt seem to be bent.
Ripped the other wing off as well. Didnt even use a saw, just brute force.

IMG_1673.JPG

Getting the heater matrix out wasnt a pretty afair. Didnt bother to remove then dash or any of the screws for it. It was smashed anyway due to the wing and the inlet mani hitting it.
4' steel bar and using it as a lever..... Soon the plastice gave up and we just ripped it out. Piece by piece.

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

Calipers still work, could even seen the mark the brake pad has made in the disc on the n/s.
Though i never uploaded any pictures, all the calipers were professionally rebuilt. So happy they all still work and visually nothing but superficial chips in the paint.
Front calipers are off and as you can see good use of draining bottles.

Already started buying myself some new parts for the rebuild. Got myself a 'new' CDA. It might be small but its a start.
Got a few other plans that will be different for the new car but depends on cost.

IMG_1678.jpg

In the meantime ive built myself a slightly smaller car but still pretty quick.

Made myself a small to-do list of everything to take apart and in what order (roughly), whilst also keeping in mind what bits i need for the new project.
New shell will probably be in July i think. Gives me a month to get rid of the current shell and source some other bits for the new project.

Pirus

Been taking a break, had work to do. Busy busy.
Not even been on the forum in over two months. Since then ive been on holiday and have been very ill.
Two more weeks of work etc and im going to be looking for a shell again.
So its not dead yet :)

I know Todger and Whit'z opinion on this but anyone elses opinion is welcome. Should i reuse the engine? No direct damage to the bellhousing, the clutch and pressure plate was still aligned and tightend correctly, or is it too risky and would require a full build/check balance?

Currently the car is still in its state as my last post, ive just left it and had a break. Still need to remove the rear beam and the interior, after that ive decided it would be easier to get someone to pay me, to drag the shell away for scrap. This also means i dont have to deal with the bureaucracy of saying its been destroyed.

So keep watching next month or so itll be back on track.

Pirus

I know Todger and Whit'z opinion on this but anyone elses opinion is welcome.
Should i reuse the engine? No direct damage to the bellhousing, the clutch and
pressure plate was still aligned and tightend correctly, or is it too risky and
would require a full build/check balance?

IMO it will more than likely be fine. You might want to do the head gasket and bolts if the manifold took a hit just as a precaution but otherwise if there is little superficial damage it should be ok if you just retorque everything. I've seen engines pulled out rally cars which are almost flat and they have been fitted in another shell and running sweet a week later. I've also seen engines hit so hard mountings have snapped off the block and they have just been welded back on and the engines have still been fine. As long as you didn't over heat it or stave it of oil during the accident the motor should be sweet. (y)

:yeahthat: and when i was banger racing i used the same engine for 3 years in approx 8 cars and it never died and the number of engine mounts that got sheared off and even had cam pulley break on an impact smashed water pump...replaced the parts and even used the old cam belt and it was good to go and then the engine got put in a road car and out lasted the body(y)(y)
im sure your engine and box never had that much punishment in your incident so just give it a check over,check all the nuts and bolts and shove it in another sei(y)(y)(y)
I will be amazed if there are any problems:slayer:

Thanks for your replies, think im going to keep the engine. Ill just give it a check over.
Started having a slight knocking from the head, going to strip it down and replace the HG whilst also cleaning everything up. Think some of the lifters may have been gummed up as condition of engine was unknown other than 28k mileage.

With the sunny weather and as im currently inbetween jobs, I've been in the garage and finally tidied everything up and made a workbench.

IMG_1734.JPG

Looking a little more organised.

IMG_1736.JPG

Already full up of parts and tools. Mainly cheapo tools i dont mind being damaged when a little persuasion is neeeded.
Can really see the difference in the spoiler and the roof. (red does fade rather alot)

IMG_1741.JPG

Took the rear bumper off and put it outside in the sun to have a closer look

IMG_1742.JPG

Slight split on the off side. Only one screw refused to come out and was then drilled out.

IMG_1743.JPG

I originally bought the rear bumper as it needed repairing and was dirt cheap. So this area was already weakend. Probably why its cracked again.

IMG_1744.JPG

Took the exhaust out from under the car and checked it over. All looks good.
Only trouble is how do i know if the impact damaged the cat at all?

Put the rear of the car up on stands, dont have a picture of this as its rather cramped in the back of the garage for a good one and its rather bright with the sun at the moment to get a decent pic.
Took the rear wheels off and inspected the calipers and discs.

IMG_1737.JPG

Off side all fine, except the bleed nipple has been sheared off. Going to take it back to the place that refurb'd them and see what they can do. (All my brakes were fully rebuilt and painted, i do have pictures but have never uploaded)

IMG_1738.JPG

Near side is a little rustier but other than that all fine. All brakes still held pressure so going to simply refit on new shell.

IMG_1740.JPG

The main object of today. Rear beam still seems good, not twisted or damaged.
Going to reuse for new shell, will clean and give another lick of hammerite.
Also removed petrol tank but not really worth mentioning other than it has alot of breather pipes.

Happy the garage is now a cleaner area to work in and going to keep cracking on for the next few days. Even if it rained i could comfortably work in there now. :)
Plans for next few days: remove whats left of the interior, including front seats and dash, remove braking system (brake pipes have been cut for now but master cylinder needs to be removed), remove all wiring (to be kept for future MegaSquirt), remove bootlid and rear window glass.
After that im still unsure whether to scrap it myself cutting it up and selling the odd pannel, or get paid for someone to take the entire shell away (even if its only £20).

In other news i may be going to look at a new Sei tomorrow, unsure of history but least worth a look.

Pirus

Back