General Noob with questions??

Currently reading:
General Noob with questions??

UnoTomuch

HI
new on the forum obviously. got a Mk1 UnoT
Just a couple of things (will think of more later)

First of: ive got this quite obvious knocking sound coming from the front suspension, 2 garages have been unable to workit out.
It sounds like something is loose and its knoking around over bumps n stuff.
Only thing i can think of is, the powerstering has never workd, and the fuild is leaking out, wondered if something in that setup, could be loose or somethn???

Has anywone else ever had this problem?? help would be appriciated:)

(Also, was wondering: does a standard (Mk1 UnoT) clutch usualy handle 1bar boost??
obviously its gud to overcompensate, but is it realy necesary to get something stronger?
(My current clutch is worn, and unable to cope with any extra boost:()

HI
new on the forum obviously. got a Mk1 UnoT
Just a couple of things (will think of more later)

Gidday - another Kiwi on the forum :woot:

First of: ive got this quite obvious knocking sound coming from the front suspension, 2 garages have been unable to workit out.
It sounds like something is loose and its knoking around over bumps n stuff.

The most likely causes, in order, are:
- Lower arm balljoint, easiest to replace the whole arm for around $100
- Anti-roll bar bush - on the arm, these are never very good to begin with
- Inner CV joint bolts (six hex-socket bolts that may work loose)
- Strut bolts - check they're tight
- Steering rack bush - see below
- Strut top mounting - remove strut, use spring compressors, and take the mounting apart/inspect. Parts are interchangeable with other Unos and the mounting/bearing is not a common failure so second-hand would be OK. Generally you would get a creaking/knocking when you turn the steering with the car standing still. Also, if you jack up the wheels, they should turn freely from side to side with no shuddering of the strut spring (if the top mounting is good.)

For replacement parts (genuine), my favourite source in Auckland is Italian Auto Centre, 23 Salesyards Rd, Otahuhu, 09 276 7245.

Only thing i can think of is, the powerstering has never workd, and the fuild is leaking out, wondered if something in that setup, could be loose or somethn???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....
My powersteering has never worked either, 'cause it's never been fitted :eek:
Seriously, I've never seen an Uno with power steering. In the event that yours has it, it must be a special conversion (pump on the engine, reservoir, metal pipes on the steering rack?) We need photos! ;)

Steering leaks - the rack should have grease inside and the rubber boots retain this grease (as opposed to power steering where there are special seals and the boots generally keep only the dust out, not the fluid in).

Otherwise, with the knocking mentioned, I wonder if you have a worn steering rack bush. Wind the steering all the way to the right, then on the left side under the car (the 'long side' for RHD), hold the rack end through the concertina boot and try to move it around. If there is detectable movement, then you'll have to remove the rack from the car and have it 'rebuilt' or replace the bush yourself (not too hard), or just swap the rack for another. See the thread https://www.fiatforum.com/uno-technical/159182-steering-column-rattle.html

(Also, was wondering: does a standard (Mk1 UnoT) clutch usualy handle 1bar boost??

I find that it does, yes.

obviously its gud to overcompensate, but is it realy necesary to get something stronger?
(My current clutch is worn, and unable to cope with any extra boost:()

I suggest just a standard Valeo clutch, but be careful with the size of the release bearing since there seem to be several types out there. Mine had a large plastic block-shaped bearing housing and the clutch was slipping even though the lining was not worn out. The adjustment at the gearbox was on the very end of the threads. When I fitted the new clutch I used a much slimmer metal release bearing, and the adjuster ended up in the middle of the threads: my clutch now works great.

-Alex

Last edited:
Wow!:D
Thanx for the detailed reply.
Need to find time to hava look at some of your suggestions.

Dont think it wud be the stuts or steering rack.
Could be cv bolts or antirol bar maybe.
Then again, i dont have much mechanical knowledge.
Took it too the shock shop and they couldnt find anything wrong with the suspension.
Ill get under and hava look.
But mite just hav to take your list in and get someone to chek it for me.

As for the powersteering thing. Vtnz and my local garage, said my power steering was leaking:confused:.
Which confused me also, but i have some memory of power steering being on the uno turbo option list? mite have imagined it tho lol

Yeh i used Italian Auto when i had my Alfa16v.
Hopefully i can save some mony over the holidays to do the clutch.

Yes i noticed a small NZ presence on the forum thats why i joined (y).

Busy:yuck: with massive load of school work, will chek bak in a couple days, Thnx:)

Hey there
Whats the details of your UnoT?
where abouts in NZ are you?

as for the mechanical side of it all, Alex is probably one of your best sources for NZ stuff, either him or Stevenz.
Power steering was never on the Mk1 UnoT, not even sure it was on the MkII either.

there are a few car sites for this neck of the woods which might be able to shed more light on the matter if you are struggling.
www.turbo124.com is probably your best source

As for your clutch handling the power, no problems with 1bar, most people will run it a little higher than that anyway, thats when you wil have to start thinking about the clutch upgrade.
I was running approx 1.2bar for a little while and ended up knackering the clutch... :bang:

Enjoy your little Uno, there aren't so many left here now!

You sure its not gearbox oil or something leaking? maybe if the 'box has the wrong oil (automatic oil for example) then that would be red in colour.

Back