Technical Non starting after a battery charge.

Currently reading:
Technical Non starting after a battery charge.

TonySheff

Hi
I have a 2008 Panda Dynamic 1.2 Petrol Manual. I haven’t been using it much lately, so about once a week I have been starting and running it. The last couple of times, I have needed to use a Jump Start pack to get the car started. So Yesterday I thought - Ah, take the battery of the car and give it a good charge. This I did, but when I put the battery back on the car, although the dash lights all lit up, nothing happened when I turned the key - the starter motor didn’t even try to turn over. I put the jump pack on, and again, completely dead.
So I was wondering - have I somehow disturbed the immobiliser?
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Thanks

Take the earth off go have a brew, turn the light switch on, then reconnect the earth with
as little sparking as possible ie in one quick movement, then try that, if you have a spare
key try that first.

Hi
I have a 2008 Panda Dynamic 1.2 Petrol Manual. I haven’t been using it much lately, so about once a week I have been starting and running it. The last couple of times, I have needed to use a Jump Start pack to get the car started. So Yesterday I thought - Ah, take the battery of the car and give it a good charge. This I did, but when I put the battery back on the car, although the dash lights all lit up, nothing happened when I turned the key - the starter motor didn’t even try to turn over. I put the jump pack on, and again, completely dead.
So I was wondering - have I somehow disturbed the immobiliser?
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Thanks

Look for the padlock symbol.. That's the immoboliser

Should come on for 5 seconds.. Then go off

Are you hearing the fuel pump whirr under the back seat..?

Can you tell me exactly which lights come on when you turn the ignition switch on

And

Which lights are on when trying to crank

Oil pressure, battery charge, engine check, immobiliser padlock

Are the ones I am mainly interested in

The starter motor circuit on these cars is very basic, they will turn over even if you unplug the ECU or body computer

It's Basicly one thick wire from battery positive

One wire from the gearbox to the battery negative to complete the high amp side

And one small control wire from the ignition switch to the starter motor

That's it

Fairly simple to test with a test light or multi meter

There's nothing electronic involved in the car turning over, it's all electric

Last edited:
Have you reconnected all the wires at the battery terminals or did something break off ?

Take the earth off go have a brew, turn the light switch on, then reconnect the earth with
as little sparking as possible ie in one quick movement, then try that, if you have a spare
key try that first.
Thanks, I'll try that when we have a dry day.

Can you tell me exactly which lights come on when you turn the ignition switch on

And

Which lights are on when trying to crank

Oil pressure, battery charge, engine check, immobiliser padlock

Are the ones I am mainly interested in

The starter motor circuit on these cars is very basic, they will turn over even if you unplug the ECU or body computer

It's Basicly one thick wire from battery positive

One wire from the gearbox to the battery negative to complete the high amp side

And one small control wire from the ignition switch to the starter motor

That's it

Fairly simple to test with a test light or multi meter

There's nothing electronic involved in the car turning over, it's all electric
Thanks for the reply. When switching on, the Oil pressure, battery charge, engine check, immobiliser padlock all come on, together with ABS, Handbrake, Electric Power steering, airbags.. When trying to crank, Oil pressure, battery charge, engine check lights are on.
As I did take the battery off to charge, there is a good chance I might have disconnected a wire - they do look a little nasty. When it's a bit drier I will have another poke around under the bonnet.

The immobiliser turns off. I can hear some sort of noise behind me, only for a couple of seconds.
We need accurate feed back otherwise any help we can give you will only be guesswork

Click on the link above and read Post 14 and 15

The behaviour of the light would give a good indication of state of the earth lead and if it can carry the amps needed for the starter

A quick video would be helpful

We need accurate feed back otherwise any help we can give you will only be guesswork

Click on the link above and read Post 14 and 15

The behaviour of the light would give a good indication of state of the earth lead and if it can carry the amps needed for the starter

A quick video would be helpful
HI, attached video shows power on then turning the key - thanks

That's most helpful

The computers all appear to be talking powered and be okay

I can hear the pinion moving so the solenoid is receiving a signal, so the ignition switch is okay

I suggest to put the car in gear and rock it forwards until the engine rotates. If the engine or the starter is stuck you may be able to free it up this way. If you want to be sure the engine rotated add a mark on the aux belt, if it changes position the engine moved.

I suggest to put the car in gear and rock it forwards until the engine rotates. If the engine or the starter is stuck you may be able to free it up this way. If you want to be sure the engine rotated add a mark on the aux belt, if it changes position the engine moved.
Thanks, I'll give that a try later.

Do you have any tools/multimeter/test light

If you put the interia light on and try and crank the car

Does it stay bright
Dim a bit
Dim a lot
Or go out
I do have a multimeter, but won't be able to try that till the weekend. The interior light stays bright while cranking.

I do have a multimeter, but won't be able to try that till the weekend. The interior light stays bright while cranking.
That's great

We know the starter is not jammed
We know the solenoid is getting a signal
We know the engine is not siezed
it's unlikely to be the battery
It's unlikely to be the ground

We dont know if the permanent 12V is ok

And

We don't know if the starter contacts are closing

Trying to think of a way to progress without having to wait till weekend

I guess

Inspect the thick red wire that goes between the battery teminal and the starter

Or get someone repeatable turning the key while you tap the motor

Or try jump starting it and see if it then works

That's great

We know the starter is not jammed
We know the solenoid is getting a signal
We know the engine is not siezed
it's unlikely to be the battery
It's unlikely to be the ground

We dont know if the permanent 12V is ok

And

We don't know if the starter contacts are closing

Trying to think of a way to progress without having to wait till weekend

I guess

Inspect the thick red wire that goes between the battery teminal and the starter

Or get someone repeatable turning the key while you tap the motor

Or try jump starting it and see if it then works
I am afraid most of the jobs will need to wait for weekend, as I am away for a couple of days. I have tried jump starting using a fully charged big jump pack ( not one of the new small ones) and had the same result - nothing. At least I have some good ideas for the weekend. Thanks

Back