Technical Noise at start up after driving in heavy rain day before

Currently reading:
Technical Noise at start up after driving in heavy rain day before

rayc

Established member
2017 Ducato X290 2.3 150 manual. The problem only happens on initial start up after being left overnight after driving in heavy rain.
On start up there is an initial squeal and then twanging, rattling. If the revs are raised the noise stops and return if revs dropped to idle. After about 30 seconds the noise stops and everything is normal. My initial thoughts are auxiliary drive belt / alternator but welcome any ideas. There is no problem for months on end just after driving in heavy rain. I do not think rain is getting in via the scuttle.

Hi rayc
As a fellow owner of a X290 I experienced the same problem. Ours is normally stored under cover & we were away at a Caravan park & it rained on & off all night. First startup the next day exactly as you described squealing/screeching etc.
So I did an investigation it appears that the X290s new scuttle went a long way to fixing the water problem over the split X250 one, but water still finds it's way onto the belts/pulleys during rain. From my investigation the water gets through the gap on the edge of the glass & the pillar. If you look under the bonnet hinges you will see a little "catchment box" with a drain attached (only on X290s), this is supposed to catch the water entering the gap & following the curve of body panel/glass & then drop off into the "box" through gravity, only a certain amount misses the "box" & flows further down & around & drips on to the belts & onto the engine itself, (rusting injectors etc :eek:) the same occurs on the passengers side & on to electrical & other components causing corrosion? Even the old X250 would benefit sealing this gap somewhat despite the crappy scuttle design & poor drains.
So at a minimum - seal that small gap between glass & pillar & the rubber lip seals on either end of the scuttle which seal between the top of the guard to the glass & to the scuttle itself. The lip seal retaining clips should be sealed as well as around in where the rubber seal attaches to the scuttle.
I also think that the removable hatch (to check fluids) in the scuttle was a giant mistake (what were they thinking!) as this seems to allow water past it as well especially the lower drain side with the retaining locks in the main lower drain WTF! :confused: Just seal everywhere water could enter the engine bay. There have been reports of timing belt slip/breakage on the 2.3 litre engines through ice in the Timing belt enclosure from water ingress into engine bay then freezing under cold temperatures!
Hope that helps

A little late from the first post, Ive had similar with our 2017 Ducato, also had a momentary warning on start up 'Airbag' something. so quick that you couldnt actually take in what it said.
That was enough of a warning, I changed the battery (nearly 4 years old and only 24K); the noise no longer happens plus the airbag warning never appears.
The new battery has a higher voltage 'bar' on my van 'power / consumer unit' thingy that I fitted at initial build.
I'm guessing that the starter/ heater plugs drain was catching out a suspect battery.

I had a Renault Espace, a 99 model once. It made a noise like a failed injector pump, duff valve gear, general mayhem occurring inside the motor. It was bad! One day on looking into it round the injector pump, I had a bottle of water, and just for no real reason, poured it on the aux belt. Noise that had been likw WW3 stopped immediately, then reurned after 15 seconds. Did the same many times over, and the result was the same, and astounding. New pulleys and belt needed. I would never have believed it had some someone told me or suggested it, never. But there it was! In short, moisture on belt, slight slippage, makes all manner of unlikely noise, dries out and there you go, a happy camper.
Just need to find where your wetness comes from, and at least it's a cheap non destructive problem- I hope!

Last edited:
Back