Technical No sidelights or dipped headlight

Currently reading:
Technical No sidelights or dipped headlight

99stox

Morning all,

Just lost dipped headlights & sidelights on a 2006 Ducato 2.3 based Ace Moderna Motorhome.

Tried fuses on passenger side, all Ok & fuses under bonnet Ok.

Is there a relay I'm missing ?

Main beam & flash are working.

Thanks in anticipation

David.

Hi 99stox

I am reasonably sure your van is built on an X244 chassis, but a quick check of the first part of the VIN will confirm.

The closest info I have is for the slightly older X230 chassis, so this may not be quite right. See the attached schematics for side and head lights. Apologies for the poor scan of one of them.

I can't immediately think of a common cause for both side/dip and Left/Right to fail simultaneously.

If your van uses the X250 chassis (2006 onwards) the wiring is completely different

Attachments

• X230 Headlights.jpg
    X230 Headlights.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 449
  • X230 Sidelights.jpg
    X230 Sidelights.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 119
Hi Anthony489,

Thanks for your reply, without checking, I think you are correct, its an X244, its not the 2006 newer facelift model.
Looks like theres a seperate relay for dipped & main, if I can identify them, I'll try swapping them around and see if that gives a result. With the sidelights, no relays? so double check bulbs, fuses & power supply, once the weather improves !!
Thanks again for your help.

Hi David,

For the benefit of other readers, may I empasise the importance of stating the Ducato model number when seeking help. As @Anthony489 stated this is easily obtained from the vehicle number as shown on the VIN plate, or in the vehicle registration documents.
Unfortunately like Anthony, I am currently unable to suggest a single fault which would cause your problems.

However I can supply pdf copies of the appropriate eLearn wiring diagrams, to which I have added annotations. Please note that the wire colours are abbreviations from Italian. While look up translations are available on the internet, for convenience I am attaching my own table.

I am not a great fan of TIA. Instead I prefer that you take the time to post your findings on forum, so that others may benefit.

Attachments

• eLearn E2010 Side & Rear Lights.pdf
    85.2 KB · Views: 67
  • eLearn E2011 Dip Beam.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 70
  • eLearn E2012 Main Beam.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Fiat Wiring Colour Codes.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 53
And just remember folks the Italians use any colour wire that comes to hand as the vehicles pass down the assembly line ...!!!
Do you have any personal experience of this?

I have made four small alterations to the wiring of my x244, in different circuits. In each case I was able to match the wiring colours with the eLearn diagrams.

Lucky you , after having 4 Seval vans up until very recently , i based [ and stand by] my statement , as will a very good friend of mine who works at an Iveco main dealer with 40 years experience ......1

Italian vehicles have always been regarded as an electrical nightmare which i can also relate to having owned many fiat vehicles from 124s thro 126 puntos ,,an odd Alfa and a couple of Stratos trucks ..!!

Hi David,

For the benefit of other readers, may I empasise the importance of stating the Ducato model number when seeking help. As @Anthony489 stated this is easily obtained from the vehicle number as shown on the VIN plate, or in the vehicle registration documents.
Unfortunately like Anthony, I am currently unable to suggest a single fault which would cause your problems.

However I can supply pdf copies of the appropriate eLearn wiring diagrams, to which I have added annotations. Please note that the wire colours are abbreviations from Italian. While look up translations are available on the internet, for convenience I am attaching my own table.

I am not a great fan of TIA. Instead I prefer that you take the time to post your findings on forum, so that others may benefit.
Hi Communicator,
Thanks for the wiring diagrams, something to ponder over, If or should I say when I solve this issue, I will indeed post my findings and solutions on the Forum, for the benefit of others, some, who I'm sure like me, are not electrical wizards and find it reassuring to get information or guidance before firing off in all directions and potentialy making things worse before they get better.
I am looking at a 244, as confirmed by the VIN plate this morning.
Hopefully I'll be back with a positive result shortly !
Thanks All for your input.

Hi, as promised an update and I'm pleased to say positive result !
Having double checked all the fuses - Thanks for all the wiring diagrams, swoped the relays for dipped & main beam, no difference.
Thinking now could be the steering column Stalk, so after Google search on how to remove, Airbag, Steering Wheel - not a pleasant thought, started by removing the column cowl - 4 screws, looking for a plug connection that might benefit from a clean or reseating.
Before 'messing' tried lights again & ALL WORKING !!
Reassembled & still working, so next time it will probably need the switch changing, but thats another day,
So Thanks all, no real solution, but got the desired result. Till next time..............

The update is appreciated. I have been giving some thought to the problem, and have also thought that the column switch, or it's connector "B" could be a possible cause.

If the problem returns, I suggest checking for 12V at fuses F12, F13, & F24 (Diagram E2010) for the sidelamps. For the main beams, check that both positive and negative are reaching the relay coil socket in the engine bay fusebox. Access for these tests is probably easier than removing the steering column shroud.

Back