Technical No rear seatbelts. MOT?

Currently reading:
Technical No rear seatbelts. MOT?

Jhall81

Hi

I have NO rear seat belts on my 1988 126p. I’ve read that it’s not necessarily an issue for the MOT provided I take the rear seats out!! Is that correct?

research suggests not required in my case. Here’s a lengthy thread on the subject where the “expert” appears to have been corrected in the end

I think you will find that as your vehicle is a lot newer than the one you mention then later rules will apply.
Generally if seat belts were originally fitted to a car then they have to be tested.
However there may be an exclusion if there are no seatbelts in the back at all and the rear seats have been removed, also it may need proof in your V5c (log book) that it is now registered as a two seater vehicle.
This is why I suggested that your best option is to go on to the Government Website referring to Mot Regulations, these are available to anyone.
Apart from that you could always go to the Mot Testing Station that will be testing the vehicle and ask them, as they will be putting their signature on the paperwork saying it's legal. :)

It was manufactured in 1986 without rear seatbelts in Poland. This is the first MOT having just NOVA’d the car.

It was manufactured in 1986 without rear seatbelts in Poland. This is the first MOT having just NOVA’d the car.
I see what you mean , but I suspect as in UK it will have to comply with UK rules based on year of construction etc.

"Traffic in Poland is on the right-hand side. A vehicle moving along city streets must have its headlights on regardless of the time of day or year. Seat belts front and rear are obligatory everywhere"

I was the foreman of a car dealership many years ago and also an Mot Tester, if as in your case it could be a "grey area" we would ring the DVLA, now DVSA to get a clear ruling as guidance so we didn't get in trouble later and have our Mot Station closed down potentially!

Last edited:
In early 80's it was just becoming a "standard fit", we swapped a 127 for a panda both 1981, just for rear belt point provision

By 1988, you will probably find it's expected

However, no rear seats.. And no visible points may well get you a pass (and an advisory..)

Old 126 owner @gadge may be able to offer more 🤔

Last edited:
Back