General nitro warrior idle prob

Currently reading:
General nitro warrior idle prob

purple haze

Beware the Panda Face.
Hi guys..just thought i would start this thread for 2 reasons....

Got a mate who used to work for Maclaren...My sisley, as i said before, seemed to be out of tune.
I,v been reading the probs nitro was having and thinking...Hmmmm sounds the same as mine??????

Took it to my mate..i had done all the usual stuff..dizzy,timing etc..

Took him 3sec to say its the idle solenoid on the carb (its a webber on the sisley) Took it out...tested it....knackered!!!!!

Fiat said the last time they ordered one was 12 years ago!! But can order from italy. £33 +vat.
Went down to the scrap yard...one panda selecta only..(might go back for a door £30 and head light £5 )

Nitro...this is easy to check..just pull off the wire or take it out and test it...another thing to eliminate????

NOW HAS ANYONE GOT ONE OF THESE TO SELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers all..... kev

When you say idle solenoid, are you talking carburettor or SPi? On the carburettor FIRE's there's one carburettor soleniod that's a fuel shut off valve to prevent the engine from running on when the ignition is switched off. Dead easy to check - remove from carburettor and earth the solenoid body to the carburettor body. Have an assistant switch the ignition on - solenoid plunger should retract. Switching the ignition off the plunger should extend. That's all it needs to do and there's very little to actually go wrong. If it's not behaving check the cable connected to it for shorting/ break in circuit.

On SPi's I'm sure there are loads more solenoids and more likely stepper motors on the throttle body, but I'm not familiar with those I'm afraid.

Yep as i said ....carb, Tested it just like you said and plunger does not move.
My engine does the "running on" thing but i was told it also messes up the idle....which mine has probs with...can seem like timing, ign probs...hunting/lumpy etc.?????

Just thought it was worth nitro checking this as its easy/quick to do.

kev

Thanks for that. Defos sounds like something to be checking. And I have a few spare carbs kicking around. Were you also having problems with starting?

I'll let you know how I get on, won't be able to look at this weekend though as i'll be off watching the Colin McRae rally stages up north :D

Yep as i said ....carb, Tested it just like you said and plunger does not move.
My engine does the "running on" thing but i was told it also messes up the idle....which mine has probs with...can seem like timing, ign probs...hunting/lumpy etc.?????

Just thought it was worth nitro checking this as its easy/quick to do.

kev

I queried carb because a lot of people get mixed up between the SPi throttle body and the Weber 32TLF carb. Like the person who sold me a Uno 999cc carburettor on Ebay only for it to turn up as an SPi unit :bang:

Before you write off the solenoid, have you checked for power going to the solenoid connector? Or even wire up the solenoid to an independent 12v power source to see if it's still faulty? It's worth doing that to eliminate any possible wiring issues.

And I can't believe Fiat want £33 + vat for one :eek:

Cheers uno45..yep... the first thing my mate did was test the little bugger with a seperate 12v supply.
i did say in my original post it was a webber carb..so all good there.
My mate has 35years of 24hr La mans..Formila one and ran a very succesful Porsche team as well as owning a garage!!!:eek::worship:
He makes me feel so THICK at times!!!!!!!!! Very handy to know though!(y)
kev

Cheers uno45..yep... the first thing my mate did was test the little bugger with a seperate 12v supply.
i did say in my original post it was a webber carb..so all good there.
My mate has 35years of 24hr La mans..Formila one and ran a very succesful Porsche team as well as owning a garage!!!:eek::worship:
He makes me feel so THICK at times!!!!!!!!! Very handy to know though!(y)
kev

Does sound like the solenoid has failed. Must admit that in 70K of driving FIRE engined Weber equipped Unos I've never had one fail! However, do check that the wiring loom connector is still carrying power to the solenoid as it's only a very flimsy bit of wire. A simple bulb circuit or multimeter would rule that out as an additional problem.

If you're really stuck for a solenoid give me a shout as I'm sure I've got some spare 32TLF carbs knocking around somewhere that should have a working solenoid on them. I couldn't let a fellow forum member pay £33+vat for one! :eek:

i take it the solenoid is not included in the carb kits you can buy? i got mine running better than ever with thanks to john stanley keene aged 70. gearbox has a nasty crunch into 3rd but its better than the old one. just have to time it right/take it slowly and i put some wynns stuff in it this morning. carb is sorted apart from solenoid plunger - i take it this acts as a regulator between gearchanges and when throttle is off as mine is idling very nicely but racing when driving without throttle and between gearchanges. can't get fiat.com to work- website must be built in the same factory as cars.

i take it the solenoid is not included in the carb kits you can buy? i got mine running better than ever with thanks to john stanley keene aged 70. gearbox has a nasty crunch into 3rd but its better than the old one. just have to time it right/take it slowly and i put some wynns stuff in it this morning. carb is sorted apart from solenoid plunger - i take it this acts as a regulator between gearchanges and when throttle is off as mine is idling very nicely but racing when driving without throttle and between gearchanges. can't get fiat.com to work- website must be built in the same factory as cars.

The solenoid plunger in the Weber 32TLF carburettor is nothing more than an anti-run on solenoid. With the ignition on it is open and allows the idle circuit in the carb to be open. When you turn off the ignition it closes the circuit and stops fuel from flowing through it and thus removes the chance that the engine can run on. That's it :)

Well thank you Kev! (y)
Got a chance to look at it today and it seems that I had forgotton to plug the solenoid back in after I had taken the carb off to clean! :eek:

No wonder it didn't start!

Still doesn't explain why it was running badly before I took the carb off to clean (maybe the clean fixed it). In any case it's running sweet now, timing set, mixture set, and back on the road!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I would of taken ages to of found that with out your clue! (y)

Back