General newby with heater/cooling problem

Currently reading:
General newby with heater/cooling problem

robbo156

Hi guys n girls :) right the cars a 16vt 1995, i have read all the other stuff about the cooling system but cant find my answer. did a 250 mile journey yesterday and had the heater on full heat, all was ok but if i turned it down slightly then it went stone cold.
then today the heater would'nt get hot was just blowing cold. checked level and it had dropped so topped it up and drove home. it sometimes went hot! got home kept the tank full and bled from the radiator valve. Q1 IS THERE ANY OTHER BLEED VALVES?
is it just a airlock? the top big hose does get hot so dont think its the thermostat.
PLEASE any help would be great
thanks Si :D

ye was on full heat and no theres no bubble gurgle noise behind dash. car has no a/c of climate control.

ye was on full heat and no theres no bubble gurgle noise behind dash. car has no a/c of climate control.

MIght be a silly question. Is it during motorway driving that you were not getting any heat? Is the engine reaching temperature? Could be a stuck thermostat. That was the problem on my one. Any journey where I was reaching 40mph the engine temp which just drop!

the other day when i went manchester the temp was hot but if i turned it down slightly it went freezing, did 40 miles today and all seems ok now :) is there anymore bleed screws apart from the 1 on the rad?

the other day when i went manchester the temp was hot but if i turned it down slightly it went freezing, did 40 miles today and all seems ok now :) is there anymore bleed screws apart from the 1 on the rad?

But what is the engine temperature gauge showing?

There are 2 more bleed screws.
On on the front of the block below the rocker cover (allen key me thinks) and another on a water pipe on the right hand side of the block (plastic screw).

Back