Technical Newbie: Aircon belt snapped

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie: Aircon belt snapped

Tony1

Hi Guys,

I have a 07 reg Multipla petrol version. Proud owner the last 4 yrs. I have'nt had much trouble with her until recently.

Issue with engine over use of coolant. And oil level suddenly rising without a top up. Yes you guessed it Head gasket problems.

Anyway had Water pump/various belts inc timing belt changed out.
Picked car up from garage after repair finished. Was told that they waiting for some belts to arrive(Lead time: next week). The new belts included the aircon belt. Was told to check the coolant level over the next few days so when arrived in work last night checked coolant, all ok...But noticed the aircon belt(The one closest to coolant top up) had some wear which was not there before, edge of belt starting to tear. Rang garage and they said that this needed to be changed and was included on original bill.

Anyway to cut a long story short the belt snapped on the way home from work this morning. Bottom pulley is turning and doesnt look off, however there is some leftovers from belt on top pulley, top pulley is turning by hand but not freemoving...

1. Is car ok to drive with Aircon belt not working...(My wife got the smell of petrol in car today)

2. Also could belt snapping have caused more damage

3. should the garage have given car back to me without changing belt(if they knew it needed changing).

Thanks guys in advance :),

All the best,
Tony.

Hi,
I'm not sure about the petrol models but on the diesels there is only one belt to drive all the auxiliaries (A/C, PS and alternator) so on the diesels, driving although not impossible, shouldn't be done.
on yours, if the belt only drives the A/C that shouldn't cause any problems driving it. (A/C won't work :D)

Thanks Frogger :). Yes car seems to be ok without belt. Dont think I'll be in a rush to use Air con....The petrol smell in car was some oil on the head leftover from gasket change.

Also Noticed a small coolant leak at hose from radiator to engine yesterday :(, I'll get them to sort that out when they are changing out the Air con belt.

Back