General New winter tyre thread

Currently reading:
General New winter tyre thread

If you keep winters on in summer you must not forget your weekly (or more often) tyre presure checks,
Underinflation heat can cause a tyre to blowout and that can lead to dire consequences!

Which is the same for any tyres. Winters aren't special in this regard.

Yes maxi but most drivers are really not educated about tires. I was at the tire shop the other day rotating my tires and you should have seen the state of some of the tires that were being changed,! There was an old lady who had never rotated her tires so when she decided to change all 4 tires the fronts looked absolutely ruined while the rears looked ok!

Most of the tire brands being changed for were like Matador and stuff, even though the mitch 4 tires for a small car only cost about 30-40 euros more for a set of 4.

It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish tyres that drivers are prepared to stick on their cars. I frequently see expensive late model BMWs and Audis fitted with cheap tyres. I can't understand why drivers spend a lot buying a nice car then skimp on tyres when they need replacement.
The converse occurs in motorcycling, where riders buy expensive tyres, with abilities beyond that of the bike or rider, because bikes tend to fall over when they run out of grip.
I fear that it will just be a minority of drivers who choose to fit winter tyres even though they have been proven to be safer because the majority of drivers just don't care.

It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish tyres that drivers are prepared to stick on their cars. I frequently see expensive late model BMWs and Audis fitted with cheap tyres. I can't understand why drivers spend a lot buying a nice car then skimp on tyres when they need replacement.
The converse occurs in motorcycling, where riders buy expensive tyres, with abilities beyond that of the bike or rider, because bikes tend to fall over when they run out of grip.
I fear that it will just be a minority of drivers who choose to fit winter tyres even though they have been proven to be safer because the majority of drivers just don't care.

That's far too simplistic an ideal. I agree, running around in a top of the range BMW or Audi or Merc, well, if you can afford to drive one of those out of your own pocket on a daily basis, then really one should be aiming for excellent tyre quality. For a 1.2 POP doing mostly town/city driving I personally believe it is utterly pointless putting on the most expensive tyres you can buy. Those EVENT tyres I was talking about in an earlier post, nothing whatsoever wrong with them. Sometimes I truly believe there is tyre snobbery out there. Don't get me wrong, I know there are some horrendous cheap tyres out there, but as long as they are new and haven't been sat around in the back of a tyre shop for a couple of years, some of the better budget makes will be absolutely fine.

The winter wheels I bought came with Vredesteins on. They have been utterly superb and I'll probably stick with them in the future.

There's snobbery and there's safety. I'm not saying to buy the most expensive rubber available, just to buy responsibly, do a bit of research and not just buy the cheapest. It doesn't matter if you're in a 1.2 Pop or a BMW, an emergency stop may be necessary and budget tyres could cost a life.
Here's a quote from Auto Express, though I've edited the brand name out, "chinese maker ***** is way behind its rivals – you hope the car behind you on a busy, wet motorway is not on the *****. The introduction of proposed industry minimum performance rules can’t come soon enough."

there are good and bad in cheap and expencive tyres, dont be fooled into thinking just because a tyres is in the top price range its a good tyre, read real peoples reviews before buying no matter what your budget.

i remember when Toyo t1r's (not a winter tyre) came out they were bottom of the price range people were saying don't buy them its madness, but a few did and found them to be an excellent tyre. now its rare to find any one who used them to say they are bad.
At the same time Pirelli brought out its P Zero Nero for 4 times the price and most people that bought them said they were Crap and had no grip in the wet

There's snobbery and there's safety. I'm not saying to buy the most expensive rubber available, just to buy responsibly, do a bit of research and not just buy the cheapest. It doesn't matter if you're in a 1.2 Pop or a BMW, an emergency stop may be necessary and budget tyres could cost a life.
Here's a quote from Auto Express, though I've edited the brand name out, "chinese maker ***** is way behind its rivals – you hope the car behind you on a busy, wet motorway is not on the *****. The introduction of proposed industry minimum performance rules can’t come soon enough."

I agree with you completely. Some of the brands are more than a joke. Even the mid range ones are much worse than the top ones. As you say you don't know the difference cruising in the dry at 30 mph without braking or accelerating, but in emergency situations they will save your life for what, the sake of 50 pounds between bad and good?

Oh and yes, I have yet to drive a car with Pirelli tires that I liked = ) I am very happy with my Michelin summer tires and will be replacing them with exactly the same ones when the time comes to replace!

That's far too simplistic an ideal. I agree, running around in a top of the range BMW or Audi or Merc, well, if you can afford to drive one of those out of your own pocket on a daily basis, then really one should be aiming for excellent tyre quality. For a 1.2 POP doing mostly town/city driving I personally believe it is utterly pointless putting on the most expensive tyres you can buy. Those EVENT tyres I was talking about in an earlier post, nothing whatsoever wrong with them. Sometimes I truly believe there is tyre snobbery out there. Don't get me wrong, I know there are some horrendous cheap tyres out there, but as long as they are new and haven't been sat around in the back of a tyre shop for a couple of years, some of the better budget makes will be absolutely fine.

The winter wheels I bought came with Vredesteins on. They have been utterly superb and I'll probably stick with them in the future.

Nothing wrong with them?

That's the problem with tyres, if you don't need to brake hard, take evasive action, drive through a monsoon etc etc to find out just how good/bad they are.

Sheet tyres can feel absolutely fine in day to day driving, it's when you have an emergency situation that a tyre shows you whether it's good or bad.

Personally I would never even bother to look at a car which has had crap tyres fitted, if the person can't be bothered to fit decent tyres can they be bothered to use the right oil, get their car serviced by someone competent and so on?

Considering that Event tyres get crappy reviews even on tyrereviews I'd steer well clear.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Event/WL905.htm
The GL699 reviews are epic :)
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Event/GL699.htm

I'm sorry, but "there's nothing wrong with them" ie, they didn't explode isn't a good enough reason to buy cheap crappy tyres. I had some Tigar's on my 406 when I first got them, worst tyres I've ever had on a car and they get sacked off quickly.

You use Vredestein snowtrac 3's as an example of how you don't need to buy premium tyres for good performance, but the difference is that they're mid range and ADAC tested them and found them to be a fantastic tyre, I guarantee that if you find Event tyres on the ADAC site they'll be in the "Forking hell, don't buy this crap" or "These tyres are crap, but not absolutely massively dangerous" sections.

On the subject of tyres, it's raining cats and dogs outside and there are massive puddles, running water and so on..... were my Conti TS850's bothered? Nope.

dave I'm guessing by this that you don't feel that checking summer tyres pressures in summer is important? I only ask as you seem to disagree with my opinion that all tyres should have their pressures checked regularly and not just winters.

Nothing wrong with them?

That's the problem with tyres, if you don't need to brake hard, take evasive action, drive through a monsoon etc etc to find out just how good/bad they are.

Sheet tyres can feel absolutely fine in day to day driving, it's when you have an emergency situation that a tyre shows you whether it's good or bad.

Personally I would never even bother to look at a car which has had crap tyres fitted, if the person can't be bothered to fit decent tyres can they be bothered to use the right oil, get their car serviced by someone competent and so on?

Considering that Event tyres get crappy reviews even on tyrereviews I'd steer well clear.

I'm sorry, but "there's nothing wrong with them" ie, they didn't explode isn't a good enough reason to buy cheap crappy tyres. I had some Tigar's on my 406 when I first got them, worst tyres I've ever had on a car and they get sacked off quickly.

You use Vredestein snowtrac 3's as an example of how you don't need to buy premium tyres for good performance, but the difference is that they're mid range and ADAC tested them and found them to be a fantastic tyre, I guarantee that if you find Event tyres on the ADAC site they'll be in the "Forking hell, don't buy this crap" or "These tyres are crap, but not absolutely massively dangerous" sections.

On the subject of tyres, it's raining cats and dogs outside and there are massive puddles, running water and so on..... were my Conti TS850's bothered? Nope.

As usual, I'm clearly happy for you to express your opinion, it is after all, an open forum. :p

I drove in the wet and dry on those Event tyres with no adverse effect whatsoever. By the way, I did the research before I bought them and made the decision that they would be fine for what they were going to be used for. My choice, my decision, no regrets. Perhaps you are just going by the reviews? Compare them all you like to whatever poor rubber you've used in the past and believe everything you read in reviews if you wish as you are clearly entitled to do so, just as you are perfectly entitled to say to me "Well, all those reviewers can't be wrong!" All I can say is, I have used tyres from respected manufacturers in the past and some of them too have been diabolical. By the way, I've seen plenty of tyre testing clips to know all about the braking distances covered by top of the range and budget tyres in all sorts of conditions.

Where we live, we're not driving around in the Scottish Highlands or the Welsh mountains, just boring flat tarmac I'm afraid, 5 days a week. Like I said, on a little car like the 500 the Event's were fine around town and for running down the dual carriageway on the relatively short distance to work. I admit, I wouldn't use them for doing a tour down to Italy, or in the snow because in my opinion they aren't suited to that. I don't ram the car around everywhere at breakneck speed nor do I leave braking to the last second. I know how to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front and how to drive properly in poor conditions, though clearly, I can't completely anticipate what ridiculous manoeuver some other idiot is going to make. Seeing as I spend several hours a day behind the wheel in a company vehicle 5 days a week in my day job, I think I've learned to control my behaviour and know what and not what to do when the conditions deteriorate.

You shouldn't blanket judge everyone that chooses not to spend top dollar on the best tyre out there just because there is a cheaper tyre on the car than the make the manufacturer installed at build and form the opinion that the car is somehow not being looked after properly. After all, there are plenty of folk out there that don't have the cash to put the best rubber on their vehicle. All of my cars have been properly serviced and I've had the service sheets to prove it.

Our old 500 barely covered 7000 miles a year and the new one will be no different in mileage covered. Seeing as 5 months of the year is spent on the decent winter tyres, we could live with the cheap crappy ones for the summer months. As it happens with the new TA, we have the 15 inch alloys for summer use and I wouldn't put cheap budget tyres on the alloys anyway. The cheapies were however fine on the 14 inch steelies.

I apologise if my clearly poor decisions aren't up to your own standards. Don't forget too, opinions are like rectums, everyone has one! :rolleyes:

My car has cheap chinese winter tyres on it right now.
I got my new wheels for a great price and they also had a set of nasty £70 sunny winter tyres on them They tyres were 10 months old with hardly any wear on them, My plan was to refurb the wheels myself and put a set of winter pirellis on them.
I spent a day rubbing down, filling and painting the wheels and decided to put them on the car to see what they look like. I liked the look and took the car for a drive.
The tyres felt horrible but the temperature was 13c and I had not set the pressure.
I did not drive the car for a couple of days but before I did I set the correct pressure and tried them out when it was 3c and they felt good, I got a good feel for the road and felt confident in them. I even tried a few emergency stops and extreme change of direction on non gritted roads on an industrial estate at night and they were fine. I have done the same in the rain.

I have now tested them in lots of rain, frost and dry road conditions and they feel as good as my pirelli tyres unless the the temperature is over 10c. They don't however feel as good as my pirellis in the dry when it is warm. My old vreds were the same.

I have now decided to keep them.

They look as good as expensive tyres..

11370119295_83d35bcb2c_b.jpg

Nothing wrong with them?

Have to agree with that. I get sick of people saying "I only need cheap tyres as I don't drive fast", happens on my van forum all the time.
Me replying the same old scenario of a dog or heaven forbid a child running out in front of them falls on deaf ears.

I bet my Abarth would stop quicker from any speed and be able to turn to avoid something better with its cheap 205/40/17 winter tyres than my old 500 could do with it's 175/65/14 good winter tyres on in every condition apart from deep snow.

One issue these days is that people dont even know what tyres they have on.

Scenario: car in garage for a service.

Garage rings customer: 'hello sir/madam, just noticed your tyres are barely legal, i'd advise changing them, would you like us to do it today?'

Customer: 'yes please'

Garage: 'we've got a set of dunlops we can put on for £xx, shall we go ahead?'

Customer: 'yes thats great thanks'

So, customer doesnt know what dunlops these are, wont read reviews etc... And also, sometimes they wont be dunlops, they might be a budget brand owned by dunlop. My mum was told she had dunlops fitted, when i checked they were 'runway' branded.

I bet my Abarth would stop quicker from any speed and be able to turn to avoid something better with its cheap 205/40/17 winter tyres than my old 500 could do with it's 175/65/14 good winter tyres on in every condition apart from deep snow.

More rubber on the road is always going to be better unless it's snowy or massively wet though......

More rubber on the road is always going to be better unless it's snowy or massively wet though......

yes and also the suspension on the 595 is amazing compared to my old 500.

Back