General New to Pandas but it will live again

Currently reading:
General New to Pandas but it will live again

scaj10

Ok so first things first hello everyone I am as you can see new to the forum (Peugeot 205/309 man) but I guided my girlfriend to purchasing a 4x4 last august. "Gunter" as he shall be known, is an'88 4x4 in......well lets not call it red really but its a colour of sorts. 65K on the clock and runs pretty dam sweet if I do say so myself.

As to be expected the car cancer has struck seeing as it was sat around for 6 years its the usual things, door bottoms inner and outer sills tank looks a bit ropey but I haven't had chance to get a good look around just yet (thank god its a bank holiday weekend comin up). Pictures will follow soon of the poor little thing.

Plans wise id love to put it over to fuel injection but need to do some research into this maybe just a decent carb rebuild and see how it drives, but for now what should I be looking out for whilst the big strip starts?.

Thanks in advance to all, Andy and Sarah

Rust is likely to be your biggest issue, the rear end of the sills and the seams in the rear wheel arches being the most common areas. The mechanical bits are pretty tough really so unless its had some serious abuse previously I doubt you will have many issues with them.

You can fit an injection system from a later Panda but a properly set up carb should give no problems and in my experience are just as reliable as injection, infact I had more trouble with my injected CLX (still not much) than I've had with my Sisley or Mk1, you just have to get used to the choke! If the engine is running fine as it is, if it were me I'd leave it be!

Look forward to seeing some photos(y)

Welcome to the Forum again Andy & Sarah! You've come to the right place for Panda banter.

A couple more things to watch out for - filler neck pipe, be very careful with this when removing as they are as rare as hen's teeth, and check if you are putting bigger tyres or wheels on that it won't get destroyed.
Electrical problems - I've had ALOT of these on my '87 4x4, mainly caused by bad earths on the 'hedgehogs' located on the inner nearside wing and offside strut top, but also from alternator brushes and dashboard switches melting inside.

Some parts for the 4x4s especially are now getting hard (and impossible) to get hold of such as fuels tanks, prop shaft bushes and leaf springs - but don't fear, anything you need you can always ask us first - somebody will be here to help :)

Got amongst it a bit this morning removed the buggered rear bull bar and swapped the drivers door for a good one only problem is it's from a non 4x4 and I don't fancy drilling it to fit the side trim (doesn't need help attracting rust) has anyone stuck one on before with good results?

If you drill and then paint the edge of the hole with a small brush you should not have any rust issues, also if you use the proper clips they are such a tight fit they do a pretty good job of sealing the edges anyway.

You could probably stick it on with tiger seal or similar but if would be a bugger to get off again and will probably pull the paint off with it.

Uh?

Oh yeah I've done it!

As has been mentioned, drill, deburr, prime and topcoat (I used spray cans) and I haven't had any rust streak issues yet. The push in clips do a pretty good job of covering the hole snugly, perhaps a dab of grease or silicone sealant would really make it rustproof though?

Issues with door rust is usually from the bottoms anyway and not half way up the door.

page 27 of my photo's - can't link as on tablet.

Last edited:
Uh?

Oh yeah I've done it!

As has been mentioned, drill, deburr, prime and topcoat (I used spray cans) and I haven't had any rust streak issues yet. The push in clips do a pretty good job of covering the hole snugly, perhaps a dab of grease or silicone sealant would really make it rustproof though?

Issues with door rust is usually from the bottoms anyway and not half way up the door.

page 27 of my photo's - can't link as on tablet.

Yeah think I'll drill it, kurust it and paint it up. I think it will have a nicer finish and as mentioned tiger seal will be a hell of a task if it needs to come off again.

so fitted the new rust free boot as well today I wanted to get the passenger door on but it's started rotting so I'll have to repair the skin on that first. Having a poke around to see how much welding it needs and all under the boot seal has got holes dotted around (pics later on). Is anyone breaking a shell they dont mind cutting up for bits?

Well I'd best get over to e bay and check that out, do they do outer sills?

Partsworld does not manufacture parts, they are new old stock stockich which came from. Fiat. Try, and do search on their item for sale list, ebay.it is my best bet.

Also try the list of suppliers sticky towards the top of the main Classic Panda page.... (y)

I forgot about that, bit of a dumb question but how is the outer scuttle attached? Is it spoy welded in?

Back