General New punto , old exhaust

Currently reading:
General New punto , old exhaust

neilcmusic

Morning , I'm new to the forum as of today , ive bought a 2003 , 5 door punto 1.2 petrol , it needs a new centre box , 2 questions, can I get under car and so it myself without it having to be lifted and also do I need a box in centre because I have seen similar with just a straight pipe from back box to flexi pipe , thanks in advance

Hi, so the 8V Mk 2 has a single silencer and that is the back box. The 16V has a centre box in addition to the back box. I believe that the 8V centre section will fit a 16V and thus remove that centre silencer.
You can do this without lifting the car fully. I've changed two 8V exhausts, I would recommend getting the full system, you may find it difficult to get the rear box off the centre pipe du to the pipes bonding themselves to each other. I got this one for mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Punt...Replacement-/120993849076?hash=item1c2bcb9ef4

You will need one of these as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Punt...Replacement-/121213818052?hash=item1c38e814c4

Oh, to get the back box fitted you will need to jack the passenger side rear wheel up so that there is enough clearance between the floor and the axle.

I did mine the last time using ramps to start with and then jacking the rear passeneger side up off the ramp, if that makes sense.

Make sure you've bought some exhaust jointing paste before starting as well!

So....

Start at the front, drive the car on ramps or jack it up on the passenger side (front).
Loosen but do not remove the bolts holding the flexi pipe to the downpipe.
Now off the ramps at the front and up on the back.
Undo the U-Bolt at the joint with the back box, ff you can pull the exhaust apart great, if not then use an angle grinder and cut it off as close as you can to the rear axle.
Crawl back under the front and completely remove the bolts at the flexi end and the exhaust should come off, I cut the rubber exhaust hangers off as I was replacing them with new.
Put the new rubber hangers on the car before you put the new exhaust on
Now, with the rear passenger wheel jacked up well off the ground, wiggle the back box pipe up and over the axle...this is a pain in the bum by the way.
Once that is done, put the flexi over the studs and do up the bolts, but very loosely, then liberally smear jointing paste over the end of the centre pipe and slide it into the back box and put the U bolt in place but again do not do the bolts up very tight.
Now put the exhaust hooks into the rubber hangers, prepare for swearing doing this, especially the double one for the back box, some people use washing up liquid as a lubricant, I used silicon spray.
Once the hangers are done and you are happy with the fit, do all the bolts up and jobs-a-goodun :)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
OK , so although mine is a 8v mk2 with a centre and a rear box it doesn't really need it centre box ? , If that's the case I'm really happy , just bought this for my son who is 17 so I'm trying to keep costs down ! Thanks for reply

I'm strongly lead to believe that they are the same backbox - and the center pipe can yes be interchanged

as for needing to jack it up?
No not really
I've done a pipe and backbox change by parking it up on a kerb so that I can crawl under it

IF
the nuts between the flexi and manicat don't wanna come undone or they snap
DONT PANIC
they are just bolts with spot welds to hold em in place - simple grind the spot well away - tap the bolt out and fit with new

If there crusty - give em a good soak and scrub before attempting to remove

Ziggy

I know no one Suggested just using a jack but it's worth saying -Don't EVER go under a vehicle supported only by a jack EVER.
Ramps are ok if used correctly.
Axel stands are ok if used properly.

Thanks for advice , I have a question , I've been onto Eurocarparts website this morning and put My reg in , they recommend a centre exhaust with silencer with bank holiday discount at £26!!! Delivered !!
The only query I have is that the fitting details state "up to 2000" and mine is a 2003. Why would it recommend it on my reg when it says this . I'm getting it ASAP if compatible ! They have another without silencer for £18 however I hear that can be a bit noisy for some tastes

Last edited:
Because their website isn't perfect.
If you should just have the back box system not the two box system get the correct one box system.
Also look up your car in eper , if it's not too new for eper , and you can see what fiat fitted.
You can do it go go go

Back