Technical New member, needing some urgent info.

Currently reading:
Technical New member, needing some urgent info.

lIDante

Hello everyone,

I saw this site on a Fiat nearby when I was walking to my car. Thought it was a sign as my car is having some issues.

I'm not a driver, so I post on behalf of my wife. So my apologies if I refer to this as my car, you know how it is when married.

Anywho, I'm currently sat in -5 weather, light slow and high winds in southern Germany where I live and the fiat 500 is not turning over properly. When it finally started it was making a whirring sound, along with looking under the car there is some apparent leakage. A pinkish red hue colour liquid, and the general water type liquid.

I am sorry for not understanding much about these cars, but we have just not long ago had a huge service and spent over 1,200 euro for some engine repair and now this happens.

Could someone be a hero and set me up with some easy idiot proof information. it would be very appreciated from us here.

Thank you for your help

Dante

Yes this is a petrol engine.

Is this a costly repair do you happen to know? I'm purely broken with money until April. I am hoping this is not an expensive issue.

But many thanks for your help. I will read this now. :)

Yes this is a petrol engine.

Is this a costly repair do yoju happen to know? I'm purely broken with money until April. I am hoping this is not an expensive issue.

But many thanks for your help. I will read this now. :)

The component is not hugely costly..@90euro

Fitting is a little involved..although not complicated.

On similar engines the coolant level is seldom disturbed.

Change the thermostat housing. Replace the hose tubes..and refill with 0.5 litre of coolant.

If money is non.existant....

It MAY be possible to use a repair compound

Like CHEMICAL METAL (ENGINEERS GLUE..)
TO repair the fractured component..

Not guaranteed long.term
But a budget solution.

Charlie

Last edited:
Looking, standing in front of the car, which side is the leak? In (your) case drivers side or (right) or passenger side IE left of the engine?

Right side probably thermostat, cheap to fix.

Left side opposite end from gearbox probably water pump( and cam belt ), part cheap, fitting more costly.

In either case don't drive the car or your bill may end up far more

Back