Technical New Matrix leaking

Currently reading:
Technical New Matrix leaking

Graham M

As some of you will know I fitted a brand new matrix last week, and I did say that it gave off a smell after it was fitted. I did think that it was because it was new, but after a week it is still giving off this smell which makes my throat sore and makes me feel a bit sick.
Is it possible that the new matrix is faulty or can there be another reason? I can’t face the thought of having to re-do all that work again if there is some other reason, but it does seem to be the only answer.
It’s OK until it warms up and then I am suddenly aware of the taste in my mouth and last night whilst taking my wife out even she noticed how bad it was. I have bled the system and did notice that the coolant level had dropped slightly, but put this down to things settling in.
Any thoughts lads or is it back to the supplier with a rope to hang the bugger with.
G.M. :bang::bang::bang:

I did wipe out the inside of the heater unit before I put the new one in, and I have had the heater and the blower on full with the windows open whilst I am out, to try and clean out the conduits etc. It doesn’t happen until the temperature warms up and then it’s as though someone suddenly opens a tap and the taste/smell starts. I am wondering if this is when the thermostat opens and the hot coolant starts to circulate more. Thing is it even happens when the heater is on cold and the blower is off, so it does seem as though the hot coolant is steaming off into the unit.
I’m going to take the pipes off the matrix and join them together and bypass the heater and see if the smell still comes through. I will turn the blower on and see if I get anything, and If not then it looks like I may have to take it all apart and test the matrix and see.
How do I pressure test the system?????
G.M.

Unfortunately the cheapest pressure testing kit I have seen is @ £145.:eek:

Cheaper for me to buy a new matrix and have done with it.
Thanks anyway.
G.M.

You can do it with an engine compression tester though you'll need some ingenuity to make up a suitable connector.

did you damage it fitting it or not fit clamps correctly?

Nothing to damage. The old matrix just slid out after unscrewing two little self tappers that held it in place and the new one just slid in. It wasn’t a tight fit that had to be forced or levered at all; it just slid in like pushing a parcel through a letterbox. Just put the two little self tappers back and that was it. Once it is in the heater housing it is protected against any knocks and all that has to be done is to fit the housing back to the bulkhead and fit the hoses onto the pipes.
The job was long-winded and fiddly but there wasn’t anything that had to be forced or man-handled, which is why I wasn’t thinking along the lines of any damage.
Kids are off school next week so it looks like I’ll be taking it apart to have a look.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I should have spent half an hour testing it first I suppose.
A lesson for anyone else doing the job.
G.M.

Re: New Matrix leaking.....update

Took the matrix out again (only took 45 minutes this time) and phoned up the auto shop. Told them what was going on and they simply told me to bring it in and they would give me a new one.(y)
Couldn't see anything wrong with the old (new) matrix but the chap in the shop wasn't too bothered. Just one of those things he reckoned.
Fitting the new one in the morning.
G.M.

Nothing to damage. The old matrix just slid out after unscrewing two little self tappers that held it in place and the new one just slid in. It wasn’t a tight fit that had to be forced or levered at all; it just slid in like pushing a parcel through a letterbox. Just put the two little self tappers back and that was it. Once it is in the heater housing it is protected against any knocks and all that has to be done is to fit the housing back to the bulkhead and fit the hoses onto the pipes.
The job was long-winded and fiddly but there wasn’t anything that had to be forced or man-handled, which is why I wasn’t thinking along the lines of any damage.
Kids are off school next week so it looks like I’ll be taking it apart to have a look.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I should have spent half an hour testing it first I suppose.
A lesson for anyone else doing the job.
G.M.

Are they the correct self tappers? I mean you put the old ones back but are they the originals? Before fitting the new heater matrix, do check the self tappers are not too long and can't puncture anything.

Last edited:
Yes they are the original self tappers, but it doesn't actually make any difference really as they are located bellow and above the matrix, so they don't screw though into any part of the radiator workings.
These were my own thoughts when I started to take the facia apart, but the screws are nowhere near the matrix and screw in a good 15mm above and below.
When you hold the matrix up to the light and angle it slightly you can see a slight discolouration on the fins about halfway down, and we reckon that is where the coolant has discoloured them.
Just bad luck I suppose but it is a b&$%&d to have to take back out though, although I did at least know my way around this time and it was a heck of a lot easier.
Last time, I dismantled the steering mechanism that locks the column in place, ( the one that allows you to adjust the height of the steering wheel) which I found out afterwards was unnecessary, all you have to do is undo the 4 nuts that hold the cloumn plate in place and lower the whole lot together, so that saved a lot of time this time.
I hope this thread will be of help to anyone in the future who does this job, and I would certainly be glad to offer any advice having been there myself.
Not so frightening the second time.
G.M.

Well I got my punto back on Friday after having, amongst other things, a new matrix fitted. The strange smell is definately still there but nowhere near as strong, what I have noticed is that its clearing the windows quicker now when I put the blower on, before it made them worse or just did nowt to clear condensation.

I would say that depending on how bad yours was leaking before that it could be stuff still working its way through. Also with my old matrix the coolant level would drop alarmingly in a matter of miles......actually I haven't checked my coolant since getting the car back, I shall do that now.

My coolant hasn't dropped at all since the new matrix was put on, it is still on the max line so if your coolant is dropping it sounds like there could be a problem :(

I do still definately have the fishy smell though, nowhere near as potent but its there.

Finally sorted, and the new (new) matrix is installed. Spent a while making sure there was no air trapped in the system whilst running the engine for around half an hour. The heater seemed a bit reluctant to work at first until I run the revs up a little, at which point the coolant seemed to fill the matrix properly and it gave out nice hot air.
Took it for a good run and there wasn’t a trace of smell or fumes.

Allowed it to tick over for a while and tried the heater again and it works whilst ticking over, so hopefully I will have no more problems with it.

I don’t have any pictures of the actual work process, but one thing I did find an absolute godsend was to photograph any electrical block connectors, so that I could identify them as they went back in.

And one really good tip is to make certain that you don’t crimp any wires when you re-fit the steering column. It really is easy to do.
G.M.

A write-up in the Guides section would be great.

I have one done and waiting for the cam belt and cylinder head overhaul but still waiting for anyone to send me some pictures to include with my text.

Back