General New guy On The Block

Currently reading:
General New guy On The Block

ducatobuild

Hi Guys
Finally found a specific forum for my new project, i am overjoyed as there is not an abundance of info out there on these vans.
I have just this week purchased a 97 model 2.5 TD LWB minibus with the intention of converting it into a campervan, and retaining only 3 of it's 15 seats[ if it would help anyone the seats are available now all fully belted, contact me quickly before i get rid].
I am looking for info on a few things as follows.
To get in touch with anyone who has completed or who is currently working on a similar project to this one , to help assist and swap ideas with to the better good of us both or all if there is more than one of us doing one.
To seek plans photo's etc etc of one that has already been completed or is in the proccess of being built for obvious reason.
To gain assistance in sourcing secondhand parts for this build, is there any specific Ducato braekers if so where etc .
Also seeking campervan parts specifically for LWB Ducato and accessories likes of alloy wheels and tyres, side steps, rear step and towbar, side bars rear ladder etc etc etc all the fancy bits to make it look good, oh i and urgently a secondhand exterior sunvisor.
Any and all help however small to give me a call all helps the final outcome.
I am currently running my own specific webpages cataloging my build at http://www.freewebs.com/expertbuild where the progress shall be monitored and displayed along with photos and a whole load more so why not drop in and say hello you never know you might just like it
Yours
Delboy

You don't say what age the minibus is but I am assuming it's not that new since it appears to be a 2.5 from your "expertbuild" site. Is that not a bit of a misnomer since you're the one asking the questions ??:D
Do you want standard seats or custom seats? How much are you prepared to spend? Some people have used Renault Espace seats although some modding is required for the bases. Do you have welding facilities etc? Believe me, the front seats are the least of your problems if you're going to do a camper conversion and could probably be left until last (I'm on my fourth one). The Fiat, Citroen and Peugeot vans are all pretty much the same apart from the engines.
You might be interested in the website/club here http://www.sbmcc.co.uk for help on motor caravan building.

You don't say what age the minibus is but I am assuming it's not that new since it appears to be a 2.5 from your "expertbuild" site. Is that not a bit of a misnomer since you're the one asking the questions ??:D
Do you want standard seats or custom seats? How much are you prepared to spend? Some people have used Renault Espace seats although some modding is required for the bases. Do you have welding facilities etc? Believe me, the front seats are the least of your problems if you're going to do a camper conversion and could probably be left until last (I'm on my fourth one). The Fiat, Citroen and Peugeot vans are all pretty much the same apart from the engines.
You might be interested in the website/club here http://www.sbmcc.co.uk for help on motor caravan building.

its a 97 model ;)

Guys
The Expert Build came from the previous van i was intending to build that being an Peugeot Expert hence expert build, sorry if that confused anyone it wasn't maent to.
And to whoever said the front seats are the least of my worries and could be left till last is most definately very, very wrong it may of escaped your notice but this build is a twofold build one as a camper and two as a daily runner, which obviously means it would be run and used daily in connection with my day to day exploits therefore giving me plenty of time whilst building it to test out the relative parts fitted for both fit finish and rattles etc before using it as a motorhome.
The general idea which shall be posted on my web site hopefully later today [if i have enough time as more pressing problems have arisen to foil my plans as usual], is to have this van as a camper in the middle section fully fitted out as such and have a constant bed arrangement in the rear section which would lift up and therefore form a massive load area for when the van was required to pay for it's keep as a van so to speak that way all the important parts can be fitted securely and safely with the only removable part being the bed which is more usually a fold downa affair anyway but in this case would be a almost constant fixture barring when it wasnt present for load carrying.
The more pressing problem that has been uncovered due to the torrential rain over the past few days has been serious water ingress through both front doors not just a dribble but serious ammount for which i need to find a cure and fast, so as to keep the van wind and watertight as a damp soggy camper is no good to knowwone.
Can anyone assist is this a common problem and if so is it a case of replace the door rubbers and hey presto it's sorted or is it more complex than that the door rubbers appear to be about 1/4 or so of an inch of the door thus allowing the rain to pour in all ways the hightop roof not having a gutter system allows all and sundry to fly in in sheets off of the roof it just runs down the side and has knowwhere else to go but into the door channel as damn stupid design if you ask me, but hey i'm asking the question not the other way around.
And finally i see no real problems with the building of this build so to speak and only require guidance on the mechanicalls the oilly bits as i am no mechanic and do not proffess to be one either.
Thanks guys look forward to your replies

Re: New guy On The Block problem

Guys whilst i thank you for your relies the problems i am facing re- water ingress appear to of been overlooked any suggestions ??
The more pressing problem that has been uncovered due to the torrential rain over the past few days has been serious water ingress through both front doors not just a dribble but serious ammount for which i need to find a cure and fast, so as to keep the van wind and watertight as a damp soggy camper is no good to knowwone.
Can anyone assist is this a common problem and if so is it a case of replace the door rubbers and hey presto it's sorted or is it more complex than that the door rubbers appear to be about 1/4 or so of an inch of the door thus allowing the rain to pour in all ways the hightop roof not having a gutter system allows all and sundry to fly in in sheets off of the roof it just runs down the side and has knowwhere else to go but into the door channel as damn stupid design if you ask me, but hey i'm asking the question not the other way around.
And finally i see no real problems with the building of this build so to speak and only require guidance on the mechanicalls the oilly bits as i am no mechanic and do not proffess to be one either.
Thanks guys look forward to your replies

hi fella, good luck with build, I myself have organised 2 self build transit based hightop campers in the past, it was great fun, and we had some fun camping trips in them, one thing you must do is ensure that you put your gas bottle in a sealed external container, I would also get any gas pipes/appliances installed by a gas fitter, also for piece of mind, have a gas and co detector installed.
You can purchase ready made plans from the internet for most vans.
Last year I looked at buying a readymade ducato semi hightop self conversion, it was very good, the guy had bought a crash damaged caravan, that had an end lounge set up, he had then sealed up the back doors, and altered the units to fit the van it was quite good, we didnt buy it in the end, as it was too small for the family with teenagers, It was a 1995 van I think, we could have had it for £3800, we went down the elderly hymer coach built route, nice and solid but a pig to drive, we sold that last month, and now invested in a direct german import, you can get a bargain form germany whether you are buying new or second hand, I have seen good quality hymers go for 3 to 4k in germany.
Keep us posted with pictures of your handy work.
........ cheers rob

Back